main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Victoria. BC So much for cross group co-operation!

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by TR0773, Jul 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TR0773

TR0773 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 22, 2003
    I received this message from Vancouver, now since I am a FF member as well as a 501st member I thought I would give everyone a chance to partake in any event either group arranges, guess I was wrong, oh as for no one replying I did get 2 positive replies.

"I'm beginning to grow quite annoyed by you continuing to post on the Vancouver board advertising 501st events. I tolerated it in the past because I honestly thought that there would be an interest in such things.

But I would have to imagine, after posting half a dozen threads that nobody bothered to reply to, that you would take the hint and realize no one was interested.

Please take into consideration when replying that I could have gone straight to Mike and keep you from posting on the board again, but I figured I'd do the completly stupid thing and give you a chance.

Please don't make me misplace my trust."

In my defense this individual hasn't asked me in the past to stop posting, and a lack of participation from Vancouver I accounted to people being to busy and uninterested, until something more interesting came by, or an uncostumed event like The Con planning was proposed.

If anyone has an objection I'll stop postinge here too, even though I live here and did make it to the last 2 failed meetings.

Oh yeah Sorry but I'm not afraid of her telling on me to Mike, I'm not the only cross group member, and the posts I put out are invitations to those who are interested, if you don't like me, or the activities I pass along... Don't read my post!

Randy

2. haruwindsong

haruwindsong Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 2, 2004
    I find the objection to cross-advertising from members who belong to more than one group very peculiar. How is anyone within the SW community supposed to know what's going on if people who are members of more than one group don't pass along information? Isn't that the whole point of the community?
    When it comes to convention planning it is extremely important that everyone in the immediate area (one day's travel by car/bus) be informed/kept in the loop. At least that's my drift on the matter.
    If someone in charge of a particular board doesn't want these posts placed directly perhaps they should contact the party concerned and discuss the best way to address the situation (i,e, determine what information should be posted and what posts will be denied). To deny everything outright, however, seems rather (dare I say) childish.
    Anyway, that's my dime's worth of opinion. Anyone else?

3. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    What does this have to do with Victoria?

4. CrazyMike

CrazyMike Former Mod & RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 4, 2000
    That is a very good question John, what has this to do with Victoria. This issue should be taken up with the chapter and yourself Randy. I would like to see events where both FF and 501st members could enjoy together. Unfortunately my past experience with events where both parties get involved
    has not been good. Many problems have developed as well as differences in opinions that got nasty.

My first priority as RSA of Canada Randy is to try and make sure that I try and serve the chapter and its members. Ultimately the CR makes the call on what they like or do not like. I will not interfere unless there is a post/topic that is against the terms of service of these boards.

In the meantime please feel free the pm me and I will try to get this issue sorted out.

5. poof-the-magic-jedi

poof-the-magic-jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 3, 2005
    As a semi-regular poster in the Vancouver forum (under various aliases ;)) I'll offer my thoughts on the topic.

It certainly doesn't bother me if "outside" groups post activities that may be of interest to lower mainland people in the Vancouver forum. As long as it's not spamming, I can't see how this would be a problem for anyone. And just because activity suggestions haven't proven successful in the past doesn't mean they won't in the future, as there are often new people posting from time to time.

I do understand your frustration that a person pretending to speak on behalf of the Vancouver forum would write such a condescending message, but remember two people who are regulars on the board expressed interest in your suggestion. It seems to me the positives outweighs the negatives in this case.

Of course, I'm only one resident of Vancouver, whose opinions don't weigh any more, or any less, than any other.

6. TR0773

Feb 22, 2003
    What does this have to do with Victoria? Well as a member of "The Victoria FF" group I posted the above message as a warning to others in the group I belong to of the opinion expressed to me by the moderator host boss whatever of the Vancouver forum.

For the record I have been critical of the aforementioned group and their lack of community activiy and have posted such on their board in the past.

I cannot fathom why a group would willingly try to stay small in the biggest city on the West Coast of Canada, if nothing else they have an obligation and duty to make themselves known and to be an access point for kids who want to be part of a Star Wars club. This is the "licensed" LFL sanctioned club were talking about here, somewhere kids and adults should be able do stuff together in a safe environment and talk about Star Wars! Instead of hiding behind their computers they should have a day where they take over a park have a picnic and... (ugh) swimg lightsabers around and get noticed. Hello the last movie only happens to be in the theatre right now, this is the year to get noticed! But that's just my opinion, make your own.

The moderator of the group took it as a personal insult (though I did not criticize the individual directly) and it stoped short of a flame war (I think that's what you call it) I stopped posting on their board for a decent amount of time and now that several 501 and Rebel Legion members have joined the FF in Vancouver, I passed messages and info to them through their forum and allowing any lurkers who might be interested in events to contact me and express further interest, cause as we all know. There are lots of lurkers out there.

In addition the event in question in Vancouver is not a 501st event! The host of the project requested volunteers " In costume" so I was the logical contact person obliged to contact the host city, and everybody else.

Don't worry Mike I won't post over there anymore, at least not until they change the CO... again.

Oh and if anyone asks what I'm doing for my community, check out the events and gallery section of the following website. With the help of my friends, we've been doin lots. We may be small and most of us are on the Island but we represent BC and we've already done stuff in 3 of the biggest cities in BC!

Check it out! http://members.shaw.ca/outerrim/

Randy

7. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
  8. haruwindsong

Aug 2, 2004
    There is a point that seems to have been missed by the Vancouver objector(s) to general posting of events in the local area. We SW fans are supposed to be a community! I emphasize "supposed to be" as evidentally there are some individuals who'd rather not. As such I feel their approach to banning such posts to be completely at odds with the whole point of "clubs" and "groups". If they don't like the posts, perhaps they should do one of two things:

1. ignore the posts unless they are objectionable in some way; or
    2. leave the group.

Closed issue, I should think.

9. don-mccaskill

don-mccaskill Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2005
    I aplaud TR0773 for his efforts to bring fandom together. =D= I think anything that gets the word out is a positive in fandom, and someone that takes the time and energy to belong to multiple groups is a trooper (pun intended :)) Don't let the bad apples get you down, there's one in every crowd and we as a community need to turn them to sauce.

10. TR0773

Feb 22, 2003
    To finally follow up. I actually received an apology from the compniant. I think this is a big deal as it shows a certain amount of integrity, and considering how things can go in the forums this is one of the better results I was not expecting to receive. However I will still refrain from posting in the Vancouver site. There's 3 other forums to pass messages to.

Randy

11. TIEPilot051999

TIEPilot051999 Jedi Master star 7

Mar 27, 2002
    OK, you know what? I feel the need to defend myself. I should know better than to do this, but I was never one to actually do the smart thing.

To start off, yes. I did send that to Randy. And yes, I meant what I said. What got missed in my message (and what I explained in my apology PM) was that I did not mind if he posted on the Vancouver board. What I did mind is the fact that he did so by posting many threads about the 501st and FanForce activity topics. That is what I was more annoyed about.

Now, like I told him, if he wants to post a "Official" thread on the Vancouver board, he's free to do so. And to be honest, it may have been wrong of me to say what I did, given that there were people who were interested. (Including me, after the fact.)

I really don't want one of my random bouts of stupidity to cause a big problem, so if there's any way we can patch things up, I'd really like to make an attempt.

12. haruwindsong

Aug 2, 2004
    Let's just "kill" this thread. It's been hashed to death![face_peace]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.