main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST So now that Han is gone, shouldn't Chewie's life debt..

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by LordVader89, Dec 24, 2015.

1. LordVader89

LordVader89 Jedi Youngling

Dec 20, 2015
    go to Kylo Ren technically since if the person who you are indebted to dies, you're supposed to serve the son?

2. Drewdude91

Drewdude91 Jedi Knight star 3

May 21, 2011
    Reddit.com/r/showerthoughts

IG_2000 likes this.
  3. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002
    We're assuming a life debt extends beyond the life? Perhaps the life debt ends with death. In any case, since Kylo Ren is both the cause of death as well as possible recipient, wouldn't the two cancel out,like what would happen if someone killed Grandma to get her collection of Faberge eggs? In any case, related, but tangential, I would assume Chewies aim isn't usually off. You think he only injured Kylo rather than kill him just because he is Hans son?

4. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    I think Chewie is in it for the long haul simply for Luke and Leia and now Rey - his friends.

5. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    I don't think there's anything that officially says how the life debt works. I would tend to agree with LadyPadme's point and say it probably ends with Han's death, and even if it didn't usually, there's no way Chewie would immediately transfer his loyalty to the man who just killed his best friend. Now, if Ben were to come back to the light, might he and Chewie join up? Possibly, though I'd still be doubtful - kinda get the feeling he could stick with Rey.

6. Tython Dawn

Tython Dawn Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 18, 2015
    If that is the case, I'd imagine there is some sort of exemption if the heir is the one who murdered the original.

7. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    Pretty sure Chewbacca made his statement on the Life Debt issue when he shot Kylo in the stomach and almost killed him.

I think Ben lived because he's just that powerful and tough.

8. TROR

TROR Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 18, 2015
    Is Chewie's life debt even canon anymore?

If it is, then it's over, but Han and Chewie were best buds so even though it might be done, Chewie's still going to stick around with the same crowd. It's not like Han treated him like a slave. Han probably would've let him break the debt if he wanted to at a certain point, I bet.

9. Sarlaac_fanboy

Sarlaac_fanboy Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 16, 2015
    If Chewie has a life debt, it's to Ben, not Kylo

Tanjint and DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR like this.
  10. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    Yeah, it seems to be canon still, but obviously it was way beyond that. Han and Chewie were brothers, and in TFA it seemed like Chewie was almost taking care of Han.

TFA might be Chewie's best movie-he was so well handled in it.

11. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    I would think that the life debt would be null and void at this point. However, I think that Chewie will end up sticking around and palling around with Leia, Rey, Poe, etc simply because he's fond of them.

Strongbow likes this.
  12. Saurion-Fett

Saurion-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2001
    I thought they were just friends?

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  13. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Looks to me like the life debt has transferred to Han's daughter Rey.

jewlmc17, LadyPadme and MattOrgana like this.
  14. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006

Pretty safe to say Rey is not Han's daughter. Also, this isn't just about life debts anymore. The visual guide points out Chewie was at home when Han asked for his help and the two paired up for some smuggling. Now his best friend is dead at the hands of Kylo Ren and the FO threatens the galaxy again...do you really think Chewie is going to sit on his big furry butt and do nothing about this?

jaqen and nightangel like this.
  15. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Not sure if the life-debt is still canon.
    Chewie would probably still protect Leia, Rey, Finn, Luke, etc regardless.
    In the EU, Chewie put Leia, Luke, Mara and the kids under the life-debt.
    And after Chewie died, his son and nephew Lumpy and Lowie, wanted to continue the life-debt.
    Well before Denning changed that in DNT.

16. Argalin

Argalin Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 18, 2015
    Chewie owes Kylo a life debt alright. Eye for an eye you could say. ;)

Tanjint and Shaak Ti like this.
  17. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006

He tried paying the debt....but between Kylo's toughness and Chewies anguish he failed to make good on the Payment. Never forget people, two in the head and one in the chest solves anyone.

18. Elle-Wan

Elle-Wan Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 11, 2004

I think the life-debt idea is pretty antiquated at this point and it lessens their loyalty to each other (also I don't think it was ever in the movies so I'm dismissing it as non-canon). They're buddies. That's all that was ever needed to explain why they travel together.

Saurion-Fett and Darth_Pevra like this.
  19. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Life debt is a dumb racist trope that evolved in the Victorian times. Good riddance to it.

Saurion-Fett and Elle-Wan like this.
  20. Strange Old Hermit

Strange Old Hermit Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 17, 2015
    Life debt essentially equals slavery. I prefer to think of Chewie as something more to Han than an indentured servant.

Elle-Wan and Darth_Pevra like this.
  21. Strange Old Hermit

Strange Old Hermit Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 17, 2015
    By the way, life debt is still canon as the second Aftermath novel is entitled Life Debt. Unfortunately.

22. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    One of the next aftermath novels is called 'Life debt', so maybe it is explained in this novel. ;)

23. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Crap! Of all EU inventions they had to keep that one.

nightangel likes this.
  24. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    Maybe Chewie will become Wookie Drax the Destroyer to Kylo Ren's Thanos and he will just be obsessed with killing him for the next two movies

TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.
  25. Elle-Wan

Elle-Wan Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 11, 2004
    I would also expect that even if the life-debt were a thing, pretty soon after it was established on one of the many times [assuredly] Chewie saved Han's life, Han would have said something like "Chewie, we're even, considered it fullfulled, but I'd like you to join me as my first mate." ...I think that would serve both of their characters better to clarify that they hang out together because they both want to.

Tanjint, Chewbaccon and Sarge like this.