main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST So now that Han is gone, shouldn't Chewie's life debt..

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by LordVader89, Dec 24, 2015.

1. Elle-Wan

Elle-Wan Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 11, 2004

That would probably be a complicated issue for Chewie though. He would have almost certainly been very close to Ben Solo and protective of him. He probably thinks of him like a nephew.

2. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Plus we don't know what Leia's view on it will be. I still kind of think that she won't completely give up on her son, and certainly not want him dead.

3. AdamDemamp

AdamDemamp Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 8, 2015

This.

Are Wookie life debts even canon? I wouldn't be surprised if it's an element used in the Han Solo Anthology film, but still we don't even know what a life debt entails in current canon.

4. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014

Yes, its canon: Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know

5. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    This excites me. We could have Leia wanting to talk down her son ala Han, and we could have Luke training Rey to put down Ren once and for all. Putting aside his disappointment and grief to do what needs to be done, regardless of the family connection. He confronted his father in combat, after all, completely willing to kill him if required. So Luke and Leia could be at odds over how they approach Ren, which is juicy material indeed.

Sarge likes this.
  6. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    no life debt is ever mentioned in the movies. There is no life debt.

Elle-Wan likes this.
  7. Darth Doop

Darth Doop Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2014
    Still canon according to Aftermath, Phantom Menace, and EYNTK.

8. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    It is in TPM, true, but I don't have to like it.

9. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    If we have to keep it, then I prefer the idea than Han "released" Chewie from it years ago. But Chewie stuck around because he and Han are practically "brothers" now, they've been so close for so long.

10. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    And if that's our canonical idea of a life debt, than it means literally nothing, as Jar Jar does absolutely Zero to really help or protect Qui-Gon, and his life is perfectly fine after Qui-Gon dies.

11. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Screw Jar-Jar.

Yes and I'd prefer if in this reality Chewie doesn't have a wife and kid that he leaves alone because he feels indebted to Han.

Tanjint likes this.
  12. Darth Formidious

Darth Formidious Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    Ugh, I hate this idea of life debt. Chewe and Han were family, this idea of a master-servant type relationship just destroys the love and friendship they had for each other.

13. Bigger Fish

Bigger Fish Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 24, 2015
    Chewie is also a loyal friend of Leia and Luke, and now Rey. :D

14. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    Agreed.

15. JediRocks74

JediRocks74 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 7, 2015
    Yousa have the life play with thissen hissen?

16. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    Go away Jar Jar, this mess was your fault to begin with.

17. CnlSandersdeKFC

CnlSandersdeKFC Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 22, 2015
    Wow. The amount of close mindedness on here is rather despicable sometimes. Please stop applying your contemporary western ideologies to everything. A life debt can mean so many other things than simple indentured servitude. If the lowly Gungans can have enough honor to practice repaying their debt to someone, surely the noble wookiees could as well.

18. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    Exactly. We don't know what it means to a Wookie. What is clear in the movies is Han and Chewie are family, that they are loyal and dedicated to one another and nowhere does it come off like Han is exploiting or using Chewie in any way.

19. Elle-Wan

Elle-Wan Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 11, 2004

Personally, I disregard everything that isn't in the movies, and in the case of the PT, I dismiss much of it (regardless of what Disney's official statement entailed). Lucas' trash writing in the PT painted the narrative into a number of corners that I think could be gracefully ignored going forward. When it comes to things like midichlorians, prophecies, chosen ones, life-debts, I'd rather ST writers just blow right past them as though they never happened. I'd rather the current writers just think of what we know from the PT as a vague recollection - where the major events did occur - but the little ham-fisted details can be forgotten.

Darth Doop, Sarge and Darth_Pevra like this.
  20. Shaak Ti

Shaak Ti Jedi Master star 3

Dec 22, 2015
    life debts should be payed once you save the one you owe it too (which chewie do a thousand times over).. otherwise it is just indentured servitude..

21. Zenwalker

Zenwalker Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    The only thing close to a life debt being mentioned in the movies is by Boss Nass. I don't remember Chewie having a life-debt ever being canonical.

22. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002
    If Chewies life-debt is actually canon, based on their characters it would make sense that Chewie felt he had a life-debt, but Han would long ago have considered it paid, not even something owed. Han loved Chewie as his best friend, and vice versa. Whatever life-debt Chewie thinks he owes is only what his own personal feelings obligate him to continue to owe to Han (and Hans family). Since Kylo Ren killed Han, I'm pretty sure this life debt is canceled.

23. Saurion-Fett

Saurion-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2001

**** off they were called Lumpy and Lowie.....no way...lmao

24. Saurion-Fett

Saurion-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2001

Meh... Not in a movie I dont care

25. Ticonderouga

Ticonderouga Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 20, 2015
    I always saw the life debt more of a sort of adoption bond rather than some a sort of indenture. A serious point of honor for wookies, but only if the bond is respected by both parties. Anyway I thought this was far and away Peter Mayhew's best performance as Chewie, simply because he did so much in this particular movie and often acted as the emotional anchor for the film. He had perhaps his two best moments out of any Star Wars movie, with the possible exception of "Laugh it up fuzzball" in ESB. "Yes, I do. Always!" and "Oh, you're cold?".

Sarge and Shaak Ti like this.