main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST So now that we've seen the movie... (Mystery Box debunked)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Mick RcCallum, Nov 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tommy-wan

Tommy-wan Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 15, 2015
    Actually, it's 5 minutes out of 2 hours and 15 minutes :p, so that's 3.70%.

2. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Well, I haven't read many of the leaks (especially not the plot breakdown that DLB did from here), and I haven't watched any TV spots (nor will I). So I'm good.

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  3. Evetssteve10

Evetssteve10 Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 21, 2015

Not much has been spoiled even by the "leaks" either.

4. stoteh

stoteh Jedi Knight star 1

May 26, 2015
    I bet it wouldn't feel like you've seen the movie even with all that footage if you didn't read the MSW synopsis. People can only blame themselves for feeling like they've seen too much, not Disney or LFL, IMO anyway.

Bennihana and Solo-Skywalker like this.
  5. Solosaber

Solosaber Jedi Master star 2

Jun 22, 2005
    Lmao stop your bitching

You havent seen sht. You dont even know what the plot is...nor does anyone else. People were complaining about the lack of trailers...now that we finally received what we asked for, plus some....you're crying about the movie being spoiled.

Ive read alot of crap posts on this forum over the years...and this one is definitely top 5

6. Mick RcCallum

Mick RcCallum Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 14, 2015
    Crying? In this thread? I don't see any crying so please elaborate.

I think it's interesting that JJA is known for ultra-secrecy and now in the last month when the marketing kicks into hyperdrive they start dumping images, backstories, and plotlines galore out into the open. That's all.
    Nobody's crying about that. It seems some fanatics are just itching to get outraged in defense of LFL. For months I have read posts from TFN members (the ones who have a sense of humor, not you know-it-alls in THIS thread who insist on lecturing that we don't know-it-all :D) anyway, posts about how fans want a trailer but JJ won't release it until 12/17, or how he will never let ANYONE watch the movie, ever, to preserve the sense of mystery.

The reason I started this thread is because a good friend of mine, who likes SW but couldn't give a rip about spoilers, plotlines, etc. etc. etc. - he's basically the type who will show up 12/17, watch the movie, and then return to his regular life without obsessing over this stuff, well he texted me yesterday with a humorous comment "JJ with all these new TV spots will there by any footage left for the movie?" and it got me thinking you know, the officially released info through various venues really does paint a picture larger than what some diehards give JJ credit for, which I found interesting.

Now I have to go scold my friend for getting me in trouble on an internet message board for creating a Top 5 worst thread of all time (I guess this forum wasn't around during the heyday of the PT??? :p ).

P.S. yes we do now "sht" because the MSW outline has been pretty much confirmed by every recent trailer, ad, etc. :)

7. KnightOfRen

KnightOfRen Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2015
    We´ve barely seen anything! There´s LOTS of stuff they´re keeping hidden, and that´s a good thing. They need to show SOME new stuff in trailers and tv spots to get people excited, but it´s mostly been new parts of scenes we´ve seen before.

8. TheMoldyCrow

TheMoldyCrow Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2015
    Everyone 2 Months Ago: Where's the trailer Abrams? We need more footage! This film is being too secretive!
    Everybody Now: They're showing us too much! We've seen the entire movie! Thanks a lot, Abrams! So much for your mystery box!

lol Some of you people can never be pleased.

9. Mick RcCallum

Jul 14, 2015
    Thank you, that's EXACTLY what I'm trying to illustrate. :) :) :)

Funny that my thread was written with hyperbole (no doubt ;) ) but some of the backlash against said hyperbole is itself based on...hyperbole.
    Denis Leary was often accused of joke theft so I think it will be ok if I borrow his old bit and say "talk about the pot and the ****in' kettle!"

10. Solosaber

Jun 22, 2005
    I guess I stuck a nerve..

Lets see, trailer was what...2 minutes long? Japanese trailer was about the same length, half of which was the same footage as the original? A few tv spots at 20-30 seconds each. Where are we at 3-4 minutes? Out of a 2+ hour movie. Not to mention the footage has showed a guy out of breath (more times than I can count), the millenium falcon flying around in most of it, lightsabers, explosions, 2 people introducing themselves, a burned darth vader helmet and last but not least...Han Solo saying the jedi/force is real. Doesnt tell me sht about the plot.

Quick question: What is Lukes role in the movie? I must have missed it.

Cant see sht, captain!

EviL_eLF likes this.
  11. Mick RcCallum

Jul 14, 2015
    Solosaber Nerve? Not at all. I see SW as escapist fare, a fun pasttime and not worth getting worked up over. I find it interesting that some people do.
    Anyway, in addition to counting the seconds and minutes of footage released, there has also been a fair amount of plotpoint / backstory type stuff outlined in various articles / interviews. I referenced that earlier as well; might have been overlooked in the rush to post rebuttals about how little we have seen.

Solosaber to answer your question, Luke's role is that of the Macguffin. Missing from the main action
    with a target on his back thanks to the First Order as revealed by EW.com
    Enjoy your evening, good sir, and the rest of the lead-up to SWTFA. It's an exciting time to be a fan! :)

12. markjones86

markjones86 Jedi Knight

Jul 28, 2015
    I personally am truly excited to see this soo much more than the prequels. I feel I don't know much about the plot or the story, I can take a stab at it through the trailers or reading thoughts on here, but that is just it, it's a guess on my part. I keep reading and hearing that JJ is a fan and I hope there are a ton of surprises and reveals in the two hours plus of footage not seen to date that I'll have the pleasure to watch on the 18th with my brother and my 11 year old son.

It's taken me back to the time my Aunt took me as a youngster to see Return Of The Jedi for the first time, I knew who was in the film, but did not have a bloody clue what was going to happen. I suppose in this day and age it's abundant and happening all too frequently that we all find out what's happens in movies way before we see them, the last 5-6 I've seen I've pretty much know the run of play before going in. Age of Ultron was a prime example, the trailer gave it all away, well 95% of it.

Everything I have seen appears to have been carefully staged and planned out with soo much thought gone into it and until I walk out of the cinema then, and only then, will I be able to say how good TFA secrecy has been. That is what is so great about this film, we all do not actually know....unless you've signed a huge non-disclosure thing and actually been part of it or have seen an early cut of it.

I for one cannot wait to see SIX new Star Wars films in the coming years, send me in each time completely "out of the loop" on what's going to happen, it's been great so far, and only a few more weeks to wait.......it's like being a kid again and waiting for Christmas, oh yeah, that's a week after TFA comes out (almost forgot)

Mick RcCallum and Trooper100471 like this.
  13. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999

I hope you're right. Also, it's worth mentioning that Star Wars geeks are seeking out all the tv spots and trailers. The average joe may come across 1 or 2, not nearly enough for a detailed synopsis of the plot.

It's just for me, having been moderately spoiled and now seeing certain scenes played out in the trailers/teasers (and one tv spot), I'm fairly sated until Dec 18th.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  14. Good Blaster

Good Blaster Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 18, 2015
    They are releasing a bit too much footage for my taste, but.....

Trailers for JJ's movies usually come with a little misdirection, so there should still be some surprises thrown in. We can already assume that it's going to keep the same beats from ANH, so it just depends on how it all plays out. Still haven't seen anything of Snoke, inside Maz's palace, space battle, luke, how Aniken/Luke's lightsaber comes into play, and just various character/exposition scenes. Seen the movie? Come on now....

dolphin likes this.
  15. SaintKenobi1322

SaintKenobi1322 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 17, 2013
    We basically have seen the same shots from different angles and in some cases, 2 seconds after the first shot we saw. We have seen jack from the mystery box.

16. Granek

Granek Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2012
    really?

*sigh*

17. Luke'sSeveredHand

Luke'sSeveredHand Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2014
    That's my hope. I keep wishing Disney would stop releasing new trailers, but I can't look away!

18. Solosaber

Jun 22, 2005
    Nah, Im not getting worked up..,Im just calling you out because when you make a post such as yours claiming that JJ spoiled the movie for you, its comes off as whiny so dont be so defensive when people call you out, thats all. Remember, you chose to go online and dig up dirt. You seem so sure that JJ doesnt care about "not spoiling" the audience...did you ever stop to think maybe, just maybe Disney wants to promote it and possibly break records?

Think of it like this: Star wars fans are die hard. They'll watch the movie a hundred times...even when they know word for word. Why not advertise it to the casual fan as well. With all the different age ranges this movie hits... I wouldnt be surprised if this becomes the biggest box office draw in history.

You claim to have "seen" the movie but you really haven't. I think you are exagerrating a bit, bud. You claim you know what happens with Luke, but you dont know for sure. Tell me...does Solo die? Whose body is Rey crying over? Has Luke trained any jedis? All very important questions that nobody knows the answers to. I think JJ and Disney have done a terrific job at promoting this blockbuster yet at the same time not giving away the plot.

Its just friendly exchanges...I dont mean to jerk your chain, just a little fun here on the forum until this movie comes out. I hope you enjoy it, because I have a strong feeling that I will.

19. Italian Ackbar

Italian Ackbar Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2015
    The leaked spoilers and concepts have maybe debunked a little the "Mystery Box", Disney and Lucasfilm's policy about the movie has been almost impeccable.

20. Zev.Love.X

Zev.Love.X Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 13, 2015
    I wish someone would elaborate on this "nailed down plotline" I'm hearing so much about.

21. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    only 1 month and I will have seen TFA. :eek:

22. turnip white

turnip white Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2014
    Some people are living in pie in the sky on here :rolleyes:

23. Vastor

Vastor Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    Que the new storm of people who loved or hated TFA after launch that will give us years of arguing over opinions [face_coffee]

[​IMG]

24. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    The Force Awakens Trailers NEWEST FOOTAGE

turnip white likes this.
  25. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    Secrecy around the production is just an extension of the mystery box concept. If you watch JJ's Ted Talk, mystery box is more about the plot structure. It is about intentionally withholding information as a catalyst for imagination. It drives the story.

Here is his description of the original Star Wars (as an illustration of mystery box):
    "Look at Star Wars. You got the drops and this mysterious woman! Who's that? We don't know! Mystery box! Then you meet Luke Skywalker, he gets the droids, you see the holographic image. Oh it's a message, she wants to find Obi-Wan Kenobi. He's her only hope! Who the hell is Obi-Wan Kenobi? Mystery box!"

https://www.ted.com/talks/j_j_abrams_mystery_box?language=en

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.