So now they are remaking...

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by TK_Four_Two_One, Jan 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TK_Four_Two_One Force Ghost

star 5
    Halloween!!!!!! :eek:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0373883/

Now, at first I was shocked- then I seen it was Rob Zombie doing it (love his House of a 1000 Corpses and The Devils Rejects and the two White Zombie albums). I'm still definitely not sure- as this to me is a classic- but as I know Rob Zombie is a MASSIVE horror fan then maybe... just maybe he might pull it off. I think Zombie has been quoted as saying he wont go for a gore flcik like his others but try to make it more atmospheric and possibly more scary (though it's hard to get scared by any movie these days as it all feels 'done before').

Anyway- what ya fellow Halloween fans think? Or in general is this just lazy cinema?

[image=http://www.iconsoffright.com/HalloweenWhatNow/austinvsmyers.jpg]

2. SithLordDarthRichie London CR

Chapter Rep
    star 8
    I hope it's just a sequel, then I can blame how shabby it's likely to be on that :p

Halloween is a classic, that still holds it's own against the majority of slasher films today.
    Remaking classic films that aren't dated is just asking for trouble.

I can see them remaking Star Wars one day [face_worried]
  3. Stuey Force Ghost

star 5
    Apparently Malcolm McDowell will be Loomis and Tyler Mane as Myers. I quite like McDowell but he has big shoes to fill. I think Mane might be a bight bulky.

I'm waiting to see who they cast in the Jamie Lee Curtis role, but i can't see this remake or re-imagining or whatever being worse than any of the recent sequels to it. I would usually condemn this as tosh but Zombie has a unique style that could make it worth watching as an alternative perspective. Then again i remember saying something similar about Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes, so i should probably be quiet and hide in the corner
  4. Happy Ninja Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    While I'm ardently against remakes, bar The Hills Have Eyes, as I thought the remake was excellent, I'm interested in seeing Halloween, since it's one of my favourite films. At first, I thought to myself "Oh, no....That's just wrong!", but I'll reserve judgement until it's released.

Malcolm McDowell as Dr Loomis...that's actually an inspired bit of casting, as McDowell is just genius. As long as we don't see Tyler Mane's face, I'm okay...I want to see Shatners face, damnit!!! :D
  5. Twinky_Stryder Jedi Master

star 4
    They're also remaking The Hitcher.

[image=http://www.nexbase.net/albums/The-Hitcher/hitcher.sized.jpg]

OK, yeah it may feature Sean Bean as a psychotic merciless killer which, to be honest, is pretty cool. But the original was only made the year before I was born.

Kinda makes me feel old.

Also according to die-hard fans of the original are complaining about all the changes and the fact that the girl is the protagonist instead of the guy. :rolleyes:

Meh.
  6. TK_Four_Two_One Force Ghost

star 5
    [image=http://www.halflife2.net/forums/customavatars/avatar943_0.gif]
  7. F16WarBird Jedi Youngling

star 4
    I'd prefer them coming up with a NEW/original film rather than spend an exorbitant sum of money to remake a movie that is perfect the way it is.

The last John Carpenter movie they tried to remake (The Fog) was suckage of epic proportions.

Other remakes (not John Carpenter):

The Omen - The original was much better. You can't replace Gregory Peck.

Planet of the Apes - Should've been named "Planet of the mediocre". Tim Roth was great. However, the actual chimps in the film out acted Wahlberg.

Never Say Never Again - They changed the title, but the story is verbatim from "Thunderball". Also, worst Bond film ever. Sean must've needed the money.

I'm not saying that remaking a movie is necessarily a bad thing. But taking a classic and fracking it up for no reason is stupid.

Sometimes it works because of technology today is better (i.e. King Kong, The Thing, etc). But, a film like "Halloween" should be sealed in glass and put on display in the Horror Hall of Fame.
  8. Twinky_Stryder Jedi Master

star 4
    My question is, which is worse; remaking a horror film that's barly over 20 years old or remaking an excellent foreign language film?

I ask because another remake that is in the works is Battle Royale.
  9. SithLordDarthRichie London CR

Chapter Rep
    star 8
    A sequel with no Donald Pleasance? I can't see it working.
    I can't see it being as effective.

But at least it will have the original theme tune.

And Warbird makes a good point, what is the need to keep doing endless (often inferior) remakes and sequels?
    Come up with something new and fun.
  10. TK_Four_Two_One Force Ghost

star 5

lol shall we dig him up then? :p ;)
  11. Twinky_Stryder Jedi Master

star 4
    Excellent suggestion TK.

I haven't had a chance to use my new grave shovel yet.

12. Stuey Force Ghost

star 5
    I want to see that! I can just imagine how tragically they'll miss the point
  13. moosemousse CR - FF:UK South

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    :eek: That's just, um, no. Unless it's a Japanese studio with Japanese actors I can't see it being any good.

Some films they should remake:
    The Eagle has Landed
    We Can Remember it for You, Wholesale (filmed as Total Recall, the book is so much better)
    Minority Report (the book is better)
    Star Wars
  14. Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager

star 6
    Do not Blaspheme!!!
  15. FatBurt Force Ghost

star 5
    Star Wars????

Considering the prequels I'd rather they ramade them but with a good scripwriter and a better director.
  16. GeneralGrievous1 Jedi Master

star 4
    All horror remakes are crap.
  17. DarthArsenal6 Force Ghost

star 5
    don't forget f16Warbird they also redone Superman
  18. SithLordDarthRichie London CR

Chapter Rep
    star 8
    Superman returns was a sequel not a remake.

Or is there another version of Superman I'm not aware of?
  19. F16WarBird Jedi Youngling

star 4
    Good point, Ritchie.

Here's a few more:

"The Longest Yard" - EFF YOO Adam Sandler!

"Anna and the King" - More of a retelling than an out and out remake. This was actually good because #1 Chow Yun Fat rules! #2 is was a drama rather than the original musical.

"Texas Chainsaw Massacre" - Why bother?

Just wait. Some jackass movie exec will want to remake "Cannonball Run".
  20. Happy Ninja Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    In a way, Superman II was a remake...The original Richard Donner version having just returned to light.
  21. SithLordDarthRichie London CR

Chapter Rep
    star 8
    A remake disguised as a sequel is still a sequel, however crafty it might be :p
    It was different enough to be a sequel, and it also had " II " in the title.

Similar to the Godfather III, that was a sequel, but it was basically a remake of part 1.
  22. F16WarBird Jedi Youngling

star 4
    FYI, Superman the movie and Superman II were filmed at the same time. Richard Donner abandoned II in order to focus on completing the first film because they were insanely over budget.

IMO, a sequel is a continuation of a film's story or the character's lives. A remake is defined by it's own name.
  23. SithLordDarthRichie London CR

Chapter Rep
    star 8
    But if a remake has the same name as the original, does that mean it's not a remake?
  24. F16WarBird Jedi Youngling

star 4
    Is that some sort of zen fortune cookie? Don't try that jedi mind trick crap on me, Rich. I'm wise to your ways. Jairen has taught me well. :p
  25. SithLordDarthRichie London CR

Chapter Rep
    star 8
    Whatever he said.....I didn't do it [face_whistling]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.