main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT So Obi-Wan defeated Darth Maul and Darth Vader (in his prime!) what does that say about him?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Jedi_Lantern, Jan 12, 2016.

1. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Plot shield works regardless of something like the reverse order that Lucas made the films in. It's a plot shield the Stormtroopers miss killing Luke, Leia and Han and Leia is only ever hit in the shoulder. Don't make that kind of argument unless in jest.

I wasn't speaking about power, but in terms of skill and experience. Dooku was eighty years old and Maul was twenty five. This is why the latter was able to best Obi-wan and Anakin at almost every turn and Maul was made half a man, after his first duel with a Jedi.

J7Luke likes this.
  2. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    That's not the same at all. Lucas could decide to kill Leia in ANH, he had that freedom. Because when people watched ANH in 1977, there was no ESB which comes in 1980.

In TPM 1999 however, we know Kenobi will survive those 3 movies, and Lucas didn't have that freedom to kill Obi-Wan until ANH. That's what I am talking about. Since Prequels aren't like Sequels, you don't have much freedom in there, it's chronologically restricts you for doing things like killing people from the older movies. Which is why it's the plot shield, while Lucas could decide to remove even a character like Leia in ANH, he couldn't decide that for Kenobi in TPM. That's the huge difference.
    Maul dueled with both Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan, easily handled them. Killed Qui-Gon and disarmed Obi-Wan in the pit. After that, it's the plot shield.

You're telling me Dooku is more experienced but he beat them almost every turn (twice times in the movies only) and he gets killed in the second. And despite being much more experienced he failed to kill Obi-Wan twice. You see? Maul only failed to kill him once, while Dooku failed twice despite defeating him twice. That's the plot shield. So the viewers must understand that the important thing is who bested the other since you can't kill Obi-Wan due to plot shield, Maul bested him in TPM. You expected Maul to kill him, but that was out of option. Yoda or another Jedi might save Kenobi, but that was out of option too when the Jedi Council assigned only Qui-Gon in Naboo. In Geonosis, there were hundred of Jedi knights there so they could be saved, that's what happened and Kenobi saved by another Jedi and Dooku escaped. If Dooku was in the same position, he would get killed too because he couldn't kill Kenobi no matter what.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  3. MoffJacob

MoffJacob Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 25, 2015
    that he is a legendary Jedi Knight of the Last Years of the Republic / Early Rebellion eras

4. darksideDINO

darksideDINO Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 18, 2015
    Obi-wan didn't defeat Darth Vader in his prime, he defeated an angry, confused and unbalanced Anakin Skywalker. I generally believe Anakin didn't fully embrace the dark side until he was defeated.

The arrogance of Anakin, knowing he was the chosen one, made him blind with rage. He was so confident he could defeat anyone, or anything that he lost his grasp on reality. Obi-wan, being wiser, could sense this and used it to his advantage.

When Vader defeated Obi-wan, it wasn't really a contest. Vader, no matter how powerful he had become was, again, blinded. Only this time it was pure revenge that fueled him and Obi-wan, again, used this to his advantage. He knew no matter what, he was going to lose. He took the duel and not only gave his friends time to escape, but was brave enough to embrace his destiny.

For me, Vader is unstoppable. Well, just like Anakin he has the potential to be. Where as Anakin was cut down through arrogance, Vader has no such boundaries. His power is fuelled by self-loathing, hence, Vader hates nobody more than himself.

Obi-wan is no super powerful Jedi. I just think he embodies the balance of the force, as in he's aware of his surroundings and in part never lets his emotions overtake his sense of being. Where as Anakin's emotions fuelled there battle on Mustafar, Obi's never came out until the battle was won.

Lost_Trekkie likes this.
  5. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    I always liked how Darth Maul just dominated every fight in TPM, he completely out fought and out classed both Jinn & Kenobi the entire match and he was leading them to the ray shields to divide and conquer.

Not many people realize that Maul used one arm to hold Kenobi and the other to Force grab Kenobi's head just when Kenobi thought he was all it,lol.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Aside from the director telling Maul not to Force push Kenobi down the shaft, or use Force lightning or saber throw or Force choke ect ect,lol. The more I re-watch the fight, read the Maul Marvel comic(and SOD) and watched his TCW episodes, I'm not certain Maul wanted to kill Kenobi after he defeated him on Naboo. Maul seemed uncharacteristically indecisive and off balance during that moment and it probably explains why he didnt strike Kenobi as he leapt into the air. During the TCW he could've killed Kenobi many many times over and even stated he never wanted to kill him.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
  6. Anslyder

Anslyder Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 8, 2018
    Nothing, since he failed in killing them both and they returned more dangerous than before.

7. Obi Wan have lucky when he defeat Maul in Episode I
    Clearly Maul was superior to Qui Gon and Obi Wan

And Obi Wan defeated Anakin because he already knew all the movements of his former Padawan and also because he is the master of Soresu

Although for my Anakin still had not discovered his true potential during Episode III
    When it becomes Vader is when it becomes more stronger

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2018