main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

DFW, TX So sick of actors...

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by Kurgan1, Mar 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kurgan1

Kurgan1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 19, 2000
    As easy as it would be to condemn all French for the actions of a few, I can't condone it.

However, those French that are doing such things really should be ashamed of themselves. How many thousands of Americans died on French soil so that they wouldn't have to live under German tyranny?

Maybe the next time Germany invades France, we'll just let it happen and see how the French start behaving towards us then.

2. Darth_Chocolate

Darth_Chocolate Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 21, 2002
    Didn't i just say that, a few posts back??

3. THX_Jedi

THX_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 18, 2000
    Recent CNN poll:

- 34% of French citizens want the coalition to fail and humiliate themselves.

- 71% of French politicians are upset that the coalition will not allow them to take part in rebuilding Iraq after the war.

You don't take the time to blow it up, you ain't cleaning it up.

:cool:

4. ThreepMe

ThreepMe Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 6, 2002
    Kurgan, I don't agree that decisive violence begets peace.

Ask most of the current terrorists why they are terrorists. You will find out that many of them were childern that either saw the horrors of the first Gulf War or were victims to any number of sanctions on their country (granted, brought about by their screwy leader) or they are religious extremists.

The point is, in every act of violence there will be some kind of retaliation. Do you really think that after any war in any time in history that each and every person on the losing side said, "Hey, thanks for taking care of our problems for us!!!" Not all. In fact, there has always been people who will want revenge. I do believe that there will be some who say, "Hey, you f'n killed my mom and dad! Holy crap! I'm gonna git you suckas!"

The bottom line is, terrorists have their reasons for wanting to be terrorists. We can liberate and free all the countries we want, but the fundamental reasons cannot be destroyed.

There is a joke on The Onion that showed a large missle and had this headline "New Bomb can create 1500 terrorsits in single blast."

Think about why that is funny. Or, why it's really not funny.

BTW, if quick decisive violence ever solved anything, do me a favor...Ask any Isreali Jew about Arabs...Then ask any Arab about the Jews. It's only been a 5000 year conflict. And there has been many, many, quick and decisive battles fought over that tiff. But yet, the battle wages on. Violence begets violence. It always has, and always will.

So where as your logic sounds good on paper, the reality (and history) dictate otherwise.

And Star, I'm not saying that we brought it upon ourselves, because you're right, saying that is BS...I'm just saying that there is another side to this. We just get so arrognat that we forget to ask, "why?" Not that that will change what needs to be done, it's just something that we may want to ask ourselves, so it doesn't happen, again, and again, and agian. And I never will condone any act that kills innocents. Whether it's terrorists acts or war.

On another note...Remember the time if you did not "peacfully" assemble you just got a "disturbing the peace" charge?

Now you may be charged as a terrorist!

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20030403/ts_nm/life_protests_dc_1

You know, we already have laws in place for people that get out of hand...But terrorist? Welcome to McCarthy-ism, 21st Century style!

5. Starburstlvr

Starburstlvr Jedi Youngling star 1

May 2, 2002
    What I'm saying is that it will happen again and again and again. I'm glad people are looking at all sides of an issue, but as I said no matter what we do - some terrorist group is going to be pissed off at us.

Oh, and as a North Carolinian - I'm asking, begging you even *NOT* to vote for John Edwards (Senator from NC) when he runs for President. He may not in '04, but he will, oh I promise you, he will. Let me state the case. The man fits just about every negative politician stereotype. He has charisma and dances around issues with the best of them. And - he's being groomed. If you think Pres. Bush was groomed you'd have a fit looking at Edwards' career thus far. As a 3rd year senator the man is on the Judiciary committee! He's also on two other committees - small business and the health, education, and labor committee - which is a crock, because the NC educational system is horrific. Yes, we have awesome universities and that's about it. So, how does a young senator get to be on all those committees - cover of US News and World Report - have his picture put above the Tom Daschle or however you spell the man's name? He's being groomed.
    This is also a man who gave Pres. Bush persmission when he voted yes this past October, then criticized Bush in USA Today the Thursday after the war began, then that Sunday meets with some military and says he supports Bush and thinks that this is a great idea. Uh - do you have to be so obvious when you're being two-faced? He's like Clinton in the fact that he's very charismatic, and says things that sound nice, but you just don't know what he's saying to the next person he talks to.

He was voted in office in '99, so I'm not sure exactly how many sessions that is - but no one, unless they're being groomed by the Democratic party, gets this much media attention with so little experience. You've all been warned!

Whew, okay, I had to rant, I'd run out of things to say about Iraq, lol.

6. Darth_Chocolate

Mar 21, 2002
    Ok Threep, I don't think i've agreed with a thing you've posted.... until now. (which is ok, that's a freedom we both enjoy! :)) But that news story you linked.... OMG!! What is wrong with Oregon!! You don't jail people for 25 for protesting! You shoot them in the gut so they die a slow and horrible death for treason... no wait... that's not right either.

Seriously, that is messed up. I don't like the anti-war movement. But that law is in direct opposition of the Bill of Rights! umm... let's see if i can remember... the right to peacably assemble?? HELLO!!

Jeez... ok, for my goal of global geonocide, i'm starting in Oregon! :)

7. Jedi_Jarvis

Jedi_Jarvis Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 7, 2001
    Well, I agree with a law that would jail you (but NOT for 25 years, maybe 25hrs) if you are one that "participants, to disrupt" business, transportation, schools, government..." BUT! in no way want to obstruct their rights to free speach.

I feel the protests in several citys that block the roads, or go to other extreames like pulling ordinary people out of their cars to beat them, should have the book thrown at them.

I believe whoever proposed the bill, was just trying to wake people up to the fact that just because we have free speach, it dosent mean we can yell FIRE!! in a crouded theater. ANd that is the basis for this kind of bill. But it wont pass, (I hope not) and if it does, it will get shot down by the state, or surpreame court.

EVERYONE has the right to protest, but that is only when you have gone through the proper channels, and have payed for the security to block the road. The ones that decide to block roads just to get on TV, are the ones I'm talking about.

As for celebs,in Denver, Eddie Vedder (sp?) the other day impaled a Bush mask on the mike stand, then stomped on it. Alot of the people got up then and left. Later, when he started his rant about The President, someone yelled from the croud "SHUTUP!!" to which Vedder went off on a tirade about his 1st amendment rights, and how the croud had no right to tell him to shutup. Thus forgetting the right for the person in the croud to voice his opinion to want to have the singer shut up, and sing the music he payed upwards of $50 to be there for. Vedder has every right to get up and use his mike to voice his opinion, who is going to stop him, he's amped (well, at least his mike is, and maybe he is too) but if he does it enough, no one will be in the audiance to hear.

If a former rock star bitches in the woods, and no one is there to hear it...

8. JEDI_DAN45

JEDI_DAN45 Jedi Youngling

Feb 10, 2003
    People, people, people...

These long posts are about to make my eyes explode!

Just remember that every nation on this Earth will eventually fall (Romans, Egyptians, Greeks)...War will continue until the final battle of Armegeddon.

I say let all the Earthly Governments duke it out if they want b/c they really will have only been around for "the blink of an eye"---if you catch my drift.

Nothing much is going to matter in the end.

It is unfathomable how "power hungry" mankind is and will always be.

9. Kurgan1

Nov 19, 2000
    Okay, what part of 'everyone that would retaliate is dead' do you not understand? There is no recourse if you kill all of those that would hurt you, and more than that, take away any ability of future generations to do so as well. Ever heard of Japan? When you use overwhelming force to destroy your enemies, they tend to change their minds pretty quickly. I don't see many Japanese terrorists wanting to go to war with us, do you? Or Germans, for that matter.

So unless terrorists start employing necromancers and raising armies of zombies to kill us, I'd say dead is fairly final.

10. ThreepMe

Jun 6, 2002
    The part I don't get is, how do you scare a group of people into submission?

Oh yeah, you have to use Nukes!

Mass destruction!!! Isn't that why we're in Iraq to begin with?

Didn't we make it clear that using Nukes was maybe not the best idea? I mean, if it's such a good idea, why don't we just drop nukes everywhere!!! Yeah! Kill us all! Good idea!

The only way your solution works is if you kill EVERYONE! You would have to kill parents, childern, the elderly...etc etc etc...

That is the ONLY way your logic works...

You're talking about ABSOLUTE DESTRUCTION. Sorry, but that really doesn't work.

History has shown us that your idea only works if you either a) wipe out the entire race of people or b) use Nukes...

Those are the ONLY time through out all of history that your tactic has worked...

It's either Genocide or a weapon that not only kills millions, but makes the land unusable.

Yeah, I guess I don't understand...

edit: spelling

11. Starburstlvr

May 2, 2002
    Dan, yes, every government will eventually fall and bears the own seeds of its destruction. However, this government will fall faster if you guys vote for John Edwards! lol - well yeah pretty much.

Speaking of actors (since that's how this thread began although I have some good things to say about two actors in particular)- there was some very good acting in "Phone Booth". Sutherland does a magnificent job and so does Colin - which surprised me. I'm *very* anti-Joel Schumacher so take this next bit with a grain of salt.

He really didn't do anything that's not being done by some television shows - 24 most notably - by showing multiple shots at the same time. However, 24 has an excuse - it's being shot in real time with multiple storylines happening at the same time and of course - in real time. Schumacher has no excuse other than yelling, "Oh! Oh! Look at me! I'm a director! Look at me!" In other words it was kind of cool but got annoying. Also, it looks like he used a lens, certain stock, or more than likely color corrected the film - since it looked bleached - I mean noticably. Hmm, I guess, in his mind, that makes him feel like more of a director. You know I think it's great to have "cool shots" but I mean - come on - the shots weren't even cool, they just took away from the movie. This movie had a great script and Sutherland was *so very great* in this movie (his performance is the reason I like this movie as much as I do - his acting actually surpasses my hatred of Joel Schumacher enough for me to suggest this movie to others). And I was happily surprised by Colin's great performance. Also, at a running time (without previews) of 88 minutes it keeps you going. But, honestly - the script and acting were wonderful. I think it would've been even better had it not been directed by Schumacher. I loathe the man - he's right up there with Saddam, Osama, and John Edwards in my book. ;)

12. Darth_Chocolate

Mar 21, 2002
    So what's the issue with geonocide?? TOTAL GLOBAL ANNIHILATION. Kill everyone. The whole damn planet! Especially gold fish.

And Brandon, you wanted an army of the dead? An.... army of.... darkness?

Klaatu barada nikto

Klaatu barada nikto

Klaatu barada nikto

13. ThreepMe

Jun 6, 2002
    I'm almost inclined to go with Darth_Chocolate's idea.

This world can use a reboot...We're way too close to a blue screen of death.

And I agree that Schumaker sucks. Let's strap him to a Tomahawk and launch him at Saddam, ala Dr. Strangelove.

2 birds with 1 multi-million $$$ missle!

"This is for freedom and each and every Batman fan!!!" BOOM!

14. Jango_Bango

Jango_Bango Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 9, 2002
    OK *Wonders what really goes on in Mike's mind* [face_laugh]

This thread is getting carried away a bit, going from wondering why actors
    are pompous *aces* to now 'Global Annihilation'. Things we have learned:

-Actors suck (Exception-Star wars cast)
    -Saddam sucks (My money is that he is dying in a bunker somewhere as we speak)
    *What a great opening shot*
    -France sucks like a HOOVER
    -Nothing we can do about stopping the war (So protesters shut the CENSORED up! ;) )
    -No need for a PRO WAR protest (Doesn't make sense anyway)
    -Georgie Porgie is OK ! (Hey...he is better that Jimmie Carter)
    -Threepme is an extreme left-wing peace lovin hippie ;) [face_laugh] (j/k threep)
    -We all want our troops to come home really soon!

Kev

15. Kurgan1

Nov 19, 2000
    Yes, Phone Booth was awesome! One of the most suspenseful movies I've seen in quite a while.

And yes, Schumacher is terrible at some stuff, and I hate to say it, but he has done some cool things. A Time to Kill, Lost Boys, and now Phone Booth.

And Kiefer Sutherland is the MAN in this movie. Even though you only really hear his voice, he portrays unbelievable amounts of menace and evil enjoyment.

And yes, wiping people out is acceptable. Follow Conan--"Crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of the women!" :D

16. Darth_Chocolate

Mar 21, 2002

DO IT! DOIT NOW!!

17. Starburstlvr

May 2, 2002
    Oh, those movies are great - but not because of Schumacher's directing.

Someone needs to stick him in a phone booth - if you know what I mean. (Disclaimer: If that does happen - I had nothing to do with it).

We've also learned that John Edwards is Satan incarnate. I just had to throw that in there.

18. Jango_Bango

Jango_Bango Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 9, 2002
    [face_laugh] Oh sorry Starbust Lover....I really meant to put that in there [face_laugh]

Kev

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.