main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST So.. space battles in Ep8? Let's discuss.

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by zero_point_zero, Jan 7, 2016.

1. zero_point_zero

zero_point_zero Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2016
    Ok so my first thread :D hopefully it's good.

So, in TFA I found the final attack on SK, led by Poe, to be lacking. It was competent and pretty enough visually but seemed hashed together, rough and not nearly coherent or memorable enough in comparison to the epic battles around Death Stars 1 and 2. That being said, does Rian Johnson's visual style lend itself better to fighter battles/capital ship battles we MAY see in ep 8, and do you want to see more varied ships and some larger confrontations as a whole in the next film?

2. zero_point_zero

Jan 5, 2016
    D'oh! maybe this belongs in the ep8 forum. Oops :(

Stoneymonster likes this.
  3. MotherNature's SilverSeed

MotherNature's SilverSeed Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 4, 2013
    You silly guy!

4. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Moved thread to that forum.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  5. zero_point_zero

Jan 5, 2016
    Thank you kindly :)

EHT likes this.
  6. zam wesell2005

zam wesell2005 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 23, 2015
    I agree. If there is a massive space battle, as mentioned in the new characters thread, hopefully the FO has an answer to Poe Dameron. A rival, with his own tie-fighter.

7. zero_point_zero

Jan 5, 2016
    Maybe Benicio's character? Yeah something to raise the stakes. The battle itself felt inconsequential compared to what was happening on the surface.

darklordoftech likes this.
  8. MillenniumFalcon2015

MillenniumFalcon2015 Jedi Master star 3

Aug 18, 2013
    I hope there is a space battle! There really wasn't any in TFA. I hope to fleet space battles possibly in the Unknown Regions where the First Order fleets are hiding on standby to attack the New Republic/Resistance. I also hope to see remaining New Republic Fleets lurking somewhere in the galaxy to help the Resistance.

whostheBossk and zero_point_zero like this.
  9. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Just as in ROTJ. Because what was happening on the surface was more important to the main story/ main characters.

That said, I do think we'll be seeing some more space combat in the next one.

10. icqfreak

icqfreak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 1999
    I just hope there's more time spent in space period. I think TFA has easily the least amount of time in space of the 7 movies. All you get is a few quick shots of ships above a planet or in hyperspace and that's basically it.

Time to put the "star" back in "star wars"

11. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002
    Capital ship battles are a rare thing in Star Wars. I'd love more of that.

12. zero_point_zero

Jan 5, 2016
    Ya know, I was listening to a SW podcast at work today and they played a clip from the Rebellions fleet approach to DS2 in ROTJ. Damn, the drama in those initial moments are awesome. Like Lando telling the fleet that the shield is still up, and all the ships scrambling and veering out of the way, only to have the imperials pop in and blockade them.. leading to Ackbars famous words of course :) THATS the kind of scale and tension these battles require.

13. zero_point_zero

Jan 5, 2016
    Btw, I've yet to look at the Art of TFA book. Weren't there a ton more concepts in terms of fighters and other ships that weren't used?

14. Forcesensitive01

Forcesensitive01 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    Yes, one that I noticed was a J-Wing fighter, it resembles the B-Wing with a curved wing at the far end. It looked pretty slick. There were tons of conecpts.

zero_point_zero likes this.
  15. Forcesensitive01

Forcesensitive01 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    I have never really been gripped by the space battles, although the intro to ROTS shows the great potential of a space battle with CGI. I think the stakes will be more personal in 8, so there will probably be more emphasis on the lightsaber and the jedi drama at the end than with the dog fights. But that isn't to say that an amazing flight sequence isn't planned at all, in fact I think that would come earlier in the film.

16. zero_point_zero

Jan 5, 2016
    Sweet. One of the issues I did have was that tech seems to have barely advanced since the OT. I recognize that JJ wanted a nostalgic feel, but there should have been a couple FO or Resistance ships that were new designs.

Jedi Merkurian and btk2333 like this.
  17. zero_point_zero

Jan 5, 2016
    I didn't find the Coruscant battle to be all that great tbh. Certainly bright and colorful, with a lot happening, but no real weight to it. And I'm not a practical-effects snob, there's plenty of CGI that works really well. But in that case all the ships buzzing around, laser blasts etc, it was all too busy, like every bit of screen had to be filled with SOMETHING. Sometimes less is more.

D'an, Jedi Merkurian , Twain and 2 others like this.
  18. Stoneymonster

May 8, 2002

Unlike ROTJ, you didn't know who was on any of those ships really. At least in ROTJ you had Piett and Ackbar as proxies for the beings on all those ships. All the action was centered on Anakin and Obiwan and eventually Grievous' ship. Throw some quick scenes of Tarkin in command of a SD, and maybe well, shoot, we didn't get to know anyone on the CIS side really besides the Neimodians.

19. DML3

DML3 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 18, 2015

So much of this. However I watched TFA last night. There was a mention that the resistance was weak without the help of the now Republic fleet.
    So that means the resistance really only has a few x wings at their disposal since the republic was destroyed

So what do they have to work with now that the republic is destroyed? No awings, y wings etc.

Evetssteve10 and zero_point_zero like this.
  20. zero_point_zero

Jan 5, 2016
    Yep that would have helped. Unfortunately almost all the CIS combatants are cartoony battle droids (which is part of a larger issue).

whostheBossk likes this.
  21. zero_point_zero

Jan 5, 2016
    I doubt the SK attack destroyed everything. A large percentage of their fleet, yeah, but not literally every ship. I'm sure there were smaller Republic convoys cruising around here and there.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  22. Stoneymonster

May 8, 2002

Plus I suspect individual systems have their own fleets that weren't pledged to the Republic. Those could join up now. A lot depends on how much time passes before VIII too.

23. Vindaxxus

Vindaxxus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 29, 2000
    We are probably gonna get another rag tag fleet to take the place of the New Republic fleet...

24. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    ^ Wrong franchise!

zero_point_zero likes this.
  25. zero_point_zero

Jan 5, 2016
    Somebody get the Galactica out of mothballs! :p

GregMcP likes this.