main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST So The Academy Awards Snubbed TFA

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Blue_Jedi33, Feb 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deathfromabove

deathfromabove Jedi Master star 2

Feb 18, 2007
    Im glad it didnt win any oscars.Such a lazy,unimaginative,creatively bankrupt film as TFA ( And Jurassic World ) doesnt deserve them.

It was robbed at the razzies though.It should have won Worst remake/sequel and worst actress for Daisy Ridley.

t-trooperyc94 likes this.
  2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Movie that had Oscar buzz (but ultimately not much in the way of nominations) was Beasts of No Nation. It's about a child soldier who comes to realize their place in the world as an individual. Force Awakens does it better.

Creed. An old, iconic figure returns to help move along a new generation of heroes, with their life hanging in the balance. Force Awakens does it better.

Brooklyn. A woman is cast out of her home and is desperate to return, scared of the big outside world, but ultimately she has to come to the realization to accept and move beyond her past home. Force Awakens does it better.

I could go on and on, but you get the idea...

3. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015

I understand your ideal on these movies, but I find Beasts of No Nation very real and more compelling with it's themes. I would say it takes things much more serious.

4. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Yeah but TFA has the former child solider make buddies with a Wookiee! Anyway, I was more emotionally invested with Finn's journey than the main character of Beasts of No Nation. Great movie but the nihilistic grind gets to be wearying after awhile.

5. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015

I see your opinion, and I can understand.

6. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Please don't...

7. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    deathfromabove wrote

It was robbed at the razzies though. It should have won Worst remake/sequel and worst actress for Daisy Ridley.

It would appear no one here thus far could answer whether TFA arrived too late last year to be possibly nominated for the Razzies.

But had it been nominated for 2015 I'm confident Jupiter Ascending would have received all the razzies instead (and rightfully so).

8. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    Indeed. Force Awakens does NOT do it better than Creed, and that's partly because the basic approaches to each film aren't compatible. Stallone's strength in Creed was, believe it or not, the subtlety of his performance; but Star Wars isn't about the subtle, and never has been. Granted, TFA does incorporate some subtlety in ways some of the other films and TV episodes in the franchise haven't, and you do indeed see some of that in Ford's performance; but it doesn't hold a candle to Stallone's performance partly because it isn't MEANT to. It's meant to work in the context of its own film, not when set against Creed. They're two different animals entirely.

Ezon Pin and Darth PJ like this.
  9. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    No films are inherently compatible and that's generally what makes awarding "art" a freakin' sham in the end. There is no objectively right or wrong way that one experiences a piece of art, and the thematic depth that one movie gets out of a particular viewer. The only way the Oscars would be intellectually and emotionally honest would be if every person who watched movies handed out an award. No two people experience art the same way. At most you can get a vague, general consensus pointing thataway.

Personally, I see both Rocky and Han's stories as really similar in a lot of ways, I just get more out of Han in Force Awakens than Creed in Rocky because he gets to fly on a starship and stuff. But they're very much in the same wheelhouse and I do think Ford should have gotten a nomination for Best Supporting Actor because he's putting a hellova lot into his role as Han. He supports the main characters, he has the best lines, has a fantastic emotional exit.

But, as I said, this is not objective science with a purely right or wrong answer. It's art. Big difference.

10. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Well of course there's a level of subjectivity... that's why my vote goes to Arnold in Terminator Genysis... It's such a nuanced, subtle performance. He's vastly underrated in that film. ;)

11. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Arnold in Terminator Genisys? That is definitely one of his better T-800 (or whatever it's called) roles in recent years - and they actually made him grey and old, now that's new!

Sent from MillenniumFalcon AI using Tapatalk

12. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    And of course I'm joking...

13. astronaut23

astronaut23 Jedi Master star 2

Jan 9, 2005

Well I loved the movie and apparently many other people did too seeing as it made over 2 billion dollars worldwide. I doubt anyone woulda made a better Star Wars movie than Disney did with this one. And I thought Daisy Ridley was awesome in this movie. Its hard for me to believe this is her first big time role in a movie. In fact I love all the new characters in this movie. I went to the movie wanting to see the return of the OT characters and while that was all nice especially with Han Solo having a big part in this film and not just a cameo appearance I've talking a liking to all the new characters. BB-8(I'll always have a special place in my heart for R2-D2 and C3PO but this little guy was awesome), Poe Dameron, Finn, Kylo Ren (I don't like him especially as seeing he murdered one of my OT favorites but I like him as a villain…lol…I love how he busts up stuff with his sword cause he can't control his anger and is afraid he'll never be as powerful as Darth Vader…lol). And Rey is just too damn cute period. I can't help but watch her when she's onscreen. She was awesome from the introduction of the character on starting with repelling down the rope inside that crashed star destroyer.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  14. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    the whole show was boring anyway. The only content of jokes they had were racial which got tiring after the first 5 minutes.

Howard Hand likes this.
  15. deathfromabove

deathfromabove Jedi Master star 2

Feb 18, 2007
    I just love it when people defend a movie but mentioning how much money it made.Did you love Transformers:Age Of Extinction too?

Whatever though, glad you liked it.I hated the movie for being such a lazy rehash and its whole feminist agenda.

Darth PJ likes this.
  16. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008

it was a fun movie, and i needed the nostalgia boost. Now i do think they need to make VIII more creative, but im fine with what TFA was. It was a gift to those long time Star Wars fans like me. I rather have seen Han live, but i get it.

17. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Well, obviously it was never going to win any "major" awards, like acting directing, Best Pic, etc.

That leaves the technical awards and frankly in all the "technical" areas it didn't deserve any awards.

The special effects were mostly Meh. The action scenes were dull (and often confusing) the costumes were unmemorable even JW's score felt like it was mostly going through the motions.

The trouble with making a rehash movie that lacks in creativity is that we've seen it all done before and a lot better.

So it's not surprising that it didn't win anything.

Darth PJ, darskpine10 and Mr. Forest like this.
  18. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015

Boring? Racial? Pardon me, but did you watch the same movie as we did?

And what do you mean by racial?

19. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    I'm talking about the Oscars not The Force Awakens

20. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Don't leave the Cave unless you have something more to add to a discussion than "Teh TFA Sukt!".

Howard Hand likes this.
  21. astronaut23

Jan 9, 2005

Nope never seen any Transformers movies. Don't care too.

22. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015

Oh, I see, I'm sorry ! And I agree with your views of the Oscars, it was a bore fest.

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  23. astronaut23

Jan 9, 2005
    I saw Creed for 4 dollars at the bargain movie theatre after it had been out awhile. I thought it was a waste of 4 dollars. Wasn't really into it at all.

The Force Awakens I keep going back to. 10 times now…lol.

24. Imperial Reject

Imperial Reject Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    well it may not have won any Oscars but The Force Awakens won Favorite movie at the Kid's Choice Awards!

25. Darkspellmaster

Darkspellmaster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    One thing to bear in mind about the Oscars is that there's a lot of, and I mean a lot of, skipping over movies. A year or two ago there was a magazine that showcased a bunch of voters for the Oscar ballot. Among things for reasons that still astound me, in a number of categories voters outright stated that they actually didn't go to see the movies nominated. At least two, and I think this was 2014, stated for the animation category that they just went to see the Disney film and were voting for it because their kids liked it. Then there was the lady producer who admitted on her ballot that she was voting for her choice for Supporting actress because they have lunch together. There was at least three voters that picked a short for best film based only on the name. My favorite by far was the one that said his pick for best score that year was because it was the only name on the list of nominees that he recognized.

Even this year, EW did a short interview of six voters and of them, at least three in the few lead categories that they talked about, mentioned giving their vote to their pick to Leo because "He's due for it." as if to say "Well everyone else has an award, so let's just give the kid something." Other interviewed Oscar members admit that, in some cases they don't feel qualified to vote for categories, but do so any way because leaving a section blank would be weird to them.

Honestly, do I think TFA deserved some awards for all the hard work that was put into it, yes, totally. But do I expect the Oscars to ever give it to them. No for a few reasons: One there are still petty people in the academy that don't like George for the whole director debacle back in the day, and still hold a grudge on that. Two, the fact that the academy of arts and sciences still has issue with any science fiction work, to the point that some members in the voting area called the Martian "Your usual sci-fi romp". They can't, and won't, really acknowledge these films because to them they don't make the academy look "sophisticated". The reasons Lord of the Rings got the win, which was shocking in and of it self, was because of the fact that if it didn't get a win then you would have a lot of actors and actresses protesting the call.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.