main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books So... The Courtship of Princess Leia...

Discussion in 'Literature' started by IG_2000, Sep 26, 2014.

1. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    I only saw one thread that was closed from 5 years ago on the subject, so I figured this could be its own thread, but...

HOLY HELL THIS IS THE MOST BIZARRE STAR WARS NOVEL I'VE EVER READ.

I'm only 80 pages in and right off the bat:

Han threatening to cut Prince Isolder's balls off
    Mon Mothma being a scheming insensitive *****
    "mmm imagine kneading that hot, hot flesh for hours" (AN ACTUAL LINE FROM THE NOVEL)
    Han Solo calls himself "grungey"
    "Hey baby I just bought you a planet" - Han Solo "Meh, try harder." - Princess Leia
    Leia being a tempermental narcissist in general

WTF

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I love this novel. It's zany. Han is hugely OOC and if he really pulled the crap he did, Leia would've shot him.

But it's pretty diverting.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

3. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Why do you think Garm Bel Iblis didn't like Mon Mothma? Because he thought she was too much like Palpatine.

4. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008

Yeah, but I didn't realize I was subconsciously quoting Robot Chicken. [face_laugh]

Dawud786 and Cynical_Ben like this.
  5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Chewie did threaten to beat Han up on Leia's behalf- and she was very tempted to let Chewie do it.

6. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    One of my favorite EU novels.

And to be fair, Leia only blew Han off about winning the planet because they looked it up and it was in Zsinj's territory.

DarthJaceus likes this.
  7. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    huh Mon Mothma's characterization was pretty consistent throughout the 90s

must be exar kun's influence

8. ThreadSketch

ThreadSketch Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2013
  9. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    The most interesting thing about COPL for me was how it anticipated Order 66. There was a Jedi temple on Coruscant, including a throne room where the Jedi Master sat and an archives, which came under attack by Imperial Stormtroopers in the "last hours" of the Old Republic. That was maybe like two or three sentences but that always stuck in my mind ever since ROTS. I can't imagine Lucas took any sort of inspiration from an 11-year old book but at the same time that was a hell of a coincidence, especially since until TPM there wasn't really any indication the Jedi had an HQ on Coruscant.

10. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Yeah, the other one from Bantam that sticks out to me is in Children of the Jedi (yeah I read it) the stormtrooper armor on the Eye of Palpatine is described as being slightly different.

I mean I guess that's kind of an obvious embellishment but still it was kind of cool upon re-reading it after 2005. And of course Callista's Jedi are completely different than the prequel Jedi which more than evens that out.

Iron_lord likes this.
  11. stung4ever

stung4ever Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 17, 2002
    I'll add the museum scene from Wedge's Gamble.

12. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    The Marvel comics predicted Anakin's mother dying in AOTC.

13. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    didn't the marvel comics accurately predict that Anakin would be given the honorary rank of Tan?

Outsourced and Valin__Kenobi like this.
  14. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    No they incorrectly predicted that Luke's father had the dumbest first name of all time.

jSarek likes this.
  15. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
  16. ThreadSketch

ThreadSketch Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2013
    So how does Gethzerion's molar-exploding and brain-ripping rate on the Denning Squick Scale?

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  17. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Not to mention that Children of the Jedi's Clone Wars timeline is at most one year off from the one used in the prequels.

Iron_lord and LelalMekha like this.
  18. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Two all time great lines: kiss my Wookiee, and ride my rancor.

Palp_Faction and Lando Swarm like this.
  19. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    well i like Luke in the novel

DarthJaceus and ChildOfWinds like this.
  20. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    I hear it to the tune of this...

21. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    ...you'd think that, wouldn't you? Oh how I wish that were true.

Outsourced likes this.
  22. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I always thought it was a missed opportunity that the Jedi curator of records at the library who fled was never canonized as anybody we knew. For a long time, I've thought he should have been retconned as Astaal Vilbum, the head of the Council of First Knowledge. Though a few other Jedi with smaller roles in the Archives system have been created who could easily be assigned the role, too; Tnani Ikon, Tahl's successor as a Jedi librarian, would be a good fit.. A missed chance to link a name to a fate and give that fallen Jedi some added depth, to make him someone we'd seen and to tighten those connections even further.

23. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    I liked that Novel very much. It may have been the time when neither Robo-Maul nor Mother Talzin were around in the EU. Nice to read something about the other inhabitants of Dathomir beyond Nightsisters and Nightbrothers. I had much to laugh and I had much fun. But still the question right from the start of the book wasn't answered in the end; how successful Mon Mothma was in solving the conflict between the Verpines and the Barabels. That would make the novel really round.

DarthJaceus likes this.
  24. Duguay

Duguay Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 30, 2002
    I remember liking CoPL when I read it, long time ago. There's some imagery that is pretty ugly, but I really got a kick out of the concept of the Witches of Dathomir. It's become so changed from what it originally was (the Witches, and Dathomir). I thought there was some worthwhile humor, including all the "Han Solo, what a man Solo" song stuff. I recall Luke seeming to be intriguingly enigmatic throughout the story. I'll have to try it again sometime down the road, maybe after I've read through the Allston X-Wing books, just to see if CoPL holds up okay for me.

Sudooku likes this.
  25. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    I really burst out into laughter after reading that love-poem of that likely reptiloid specy, C3PO chose first for Han Solo to impress Princess Leia with.

Iron_lord likes this.