main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC So, there's this schmuck finally at Target...

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthTunick , Nov 21, 2014.

1. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    tunick, i hope you don't come to us for validation or rejection. if you do, i feel like we're much too heavily weighted to one side. the truth is, i think i speak for just about everyone when i say, we love you man. and let me say that you are not defined by whether or not you have a job at target. **** target. just get out there, keep grinding, you'll find something better.

2. Obi_Wan_01

Obi_Wan_01 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2001
    IMO, Tunick comes off as a slacker. I don't think he is serious for a split second regarding his job search regardless of applying at however many locations.

Being a retail employee does not require any major skill-set or education and even then you got fired. Anyone who is able to read, write, basic math skills, organizational skills, move their limbs, and have decent manners is more than enough to get hired at any retail store. If someone with 8+ years of experience is not getting hired, despite the amazing and spot-on advice from many YJCC'ers, you have to probably lean in the direction that Tunick is probably a slacker and not sincere in the least about finding a job or is just incompetent.

What actually surprise' me are the endless amazing spot-on advice, encouragement, and efforts from YJCC'ers. You can't help but conclude that it's not the lack of effort from the YJCC, but rather the other side. With the skill level required, it is not hard to find a job - Target, Starbucks, Burger King, McDonald's, Staples, Best Buy, whatever. Go work on the assembly line if you can't find a job in retail, go to headhunter agencies, go volunteer to keep yourself busy, work for a friend, go to school, start a business, etc.

Smoking cigars, drinking beer, watching sports, posting on a message board, being a Commissioner of whatever, etc. is not going to help with landing a job.

If you are terribly desperate for a job, I can offer you to mop the decks of the forceboat. At least you won't look like a schmuck like the Target guy whom you referred to in your OP.

gg

TahiriVeilaSolo69 likes this.
  3. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    He's also entitled to 30 minutes for lunch and two 15 minute breaks, right? :p

Darth Tunes : As I also said in the 7 GIL, I'm sorry to hear that. Good luck on something else that turns out to be better.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  4. FamousAmos

FamousAmos VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 9, 2003
    Yeah, we're putting in a lot of effort, commenting on a SW message board. Not to discount the effect that advice and encouragement can provide; I'm just saying we're not exactly straining ourselves.

5. TahiriVeilaSolo69

TahiriVeilaSolo69 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    Tunick, have you ever considered learning a trade?

6. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Please, please, please reconsider going to school. I'll help you through the whole process (again).

7. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

I haven't.

harpua I'm well aware of that option, and should that be utilize, I'll seek your (and others) help.

tom I very much appreciate that post/sentiment.

8. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Can we sticky this thread at the top of the forum so he can be reminded of this every day? Either that or we can throw dirt in his eye.

9. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    You could always have the Target logo as the sticky. :p

10. Skywalker8921

Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 9, 2011
    I'm sorry to hear that, Tunick.

Still, harpua is right. You've got to keep looking for a job.

I know the feeling when you get turned down, as I've received multiple rejections over the last two years for part time library jobs. Quite frankly, you've been more lucky than I have; I only got called for an interview twice and then didn't hear back until I got the letter saying I wasn't chosen.

11. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
    Hey Tunick, was this the northridge target or another one, just out of curiosity?

12. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    The Northridge one.

13. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I'll look for billowing smoke coming from that direction.

14. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
    Ty man I've been needing a new job

Zapdos and Ender Sai like this.
  15. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    lol... Amy, I can't picture you working at Target. :p

16. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
    Yeah I was in retail for many, many years but never at a store like that. One time I tried Kmart and they rejected me so fast during the interview process, I had to wonder. Those companies have such a weird hiring method.

17. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Who was it that kept refusing to look up the answers to that quiz thing because they thought it would be fraudulent or something?

18. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Oh, those ****ing "personality quizzes." I remember those. They tried to trick you by repeating the same question except worded differently. I tried to answer how I thought the company wanted me to answer. But I probably just ended up answering like a sociopath.

19. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Oh, those are terrible. But I think at retail stores they're just a bunch of hypotheticals about how good you are at picking up graft.

20. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Various opportunities have come & gone recently, so obviously there's a chance that this falls through, however...

[​IMG].

This might be the most nervous I'll be going into an interview.
    :p

21. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Take a few swigs of vodka before you go in!

(don't take a few swigs of vodka before you go in).

Darth Tunes likes this.
  22. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Business casual does not mean dress shirt and shorts.

Darth Tunes and harpua like this.
  23. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    It means evening dress.

24. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    you got this, armen. break a leg!

Darth Tunes likes this.
  25. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Good luck, Tunick! It's normal to be nervous, but don't let the pre-interview stuff get to you. In other words, make sure to relax!

yeah those things are the worst. I almost always failed those things. They're bad enough for a retail position, but I saw them used for a fellowship once and that is just awful.

Darth Tunes likes this.