main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit So, those of you who've wanted an open-world Star Wars game...

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Cynical_Ben, Nov 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LightsaberAccident

LightsaberAccident Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 26, 2013
    Screenname "***Grand Master ~!!Bling!!~***" reserved.

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Ship has sailed on that. EA is publishing all future SW games.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

3. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    I know, I can't say I'm pleased about it though.

4. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Anything that makes Jedi less appealing to play is a win in my book. Galaxies was far more fun when Jedi were rare, not the majority. Especially the PvP

KamSolusar and Reaper63 like this.
  5. Scrubbed

Scrubbed Jedi Master star 1

Feb 1, 2006
    Seems like that'd be a challenge to make. Much of open world games are exploring and committing crimes/providing your own brand of justice. In a world with technology or a large population that'd become more difficult.

6. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    I agree with the first part, but Coursicant is one of the most boring locations in Star Wars - a massive generic city with no flavor or personality.

Personally, I hope, most likely in vain, that there are several planets and some space stuff. I mean, I know that would cut back on some of the seamless open world aspect, but it is a big part of star wars.

Salvagers come across the remains of an ancient Sith warship - then it turns out that not only did some of the sithspawn survived through the ages, but that the spirits of the long dead sith stuck around as well.

Theoretically...yet, Star Wars stories seem to be all about that. Even in the Golden Age of the Republic or the military rule of the Empire, effective law enforcement seems to be rather limited. Even Coursicant is filled to the bursting with violent criminals and adventurers.

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Generic? Massive? Lack of flavor or personality?

...have you ever been to a city? It's those miles and miles of dirt/sand/trees that constitute 90% of the GFFA that are boring.

8. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Can I be a Coruscant airspeeder delivery driver?

9. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    What makes Coruscant boring is that nobody ever does anything interesting with it. 1313 was the first attempt to try and do so, but even it didn't get further than "seedy undercity." Look at any modern metropolis, and you'll see a staggering amount of variety. We've got the fashionable, art-deco looking Manarai/Palace District, the undercity, and the industrial Works sure... but there should be more than that. What's Coruscant's equivalent of Chinatown? Where's the barrio? Where's the waterfront? Where's the artsy bohemian place? Do we even know what's on the antipode of the Senate/Palace?

10. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Well sure - most cities on Alderaan are interesting. As are the ones on Naboo. The Mon Calamari have some nice cities as well. And the bridge cities of Cato Nemodia are my favorite (though I liked them better in the concept art before they became Nemodian, and thus lost their elegance in simplicity look for Nemodian gaudy tackiness). Not to mention my own homeworld of Aquilaris. Real works of art as architecture, not the grey blocks of Coursicant. Playing a game set entirely on Coursicant wouldn't look any different than a standard cyber-punk or dystopian sci-fi setting.

Yeah, there are a lot of generic desert/forest/ice worlds in Star Wars, but there are more interesting wildernesses as well. Felucia, for example, Voss, Baroonda, Malastare, Balnab, Patitite Pattuna, Subterrel, son on and so forth.

11. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I bet there's a Star Wars-Bucks.

[​IMG]

12. AlyxDinas

AlyxDinas Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 12, 2010

A good studio can still work relatively well within the corporate confines of a company like EA. If it is indeed Visceral Games on the project, I can imagine it being a good experience. Not, perhaps, great and not, certainly, what all fans might want (since Star Wars fans are terrible) but still a fair product. Hell, I'm surprised that they've not been assigned to take over wherever 1313 was left off.

13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I want to see the town quarters that are not made for the species that have the same proportions as standard humans. The ho'din and wookies probably share quarters: they are after all bout over 2,2 m and like nature, I can see there part of the town looking like a garden with trees and potted plants all over

You are thinking of Metellos, most of Coruscant buildings we have seen are curved in one way or other

14. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    Why can't we settle on Mandalore? The cities are grey blocks, and 90% of the planet is sand and gravel. Everyone's unhappy that way!

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  15. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    And knowing those farm-loving Mandalorians, I can't see this having anything more controversial else but a Red Dead Redemption-style ending.

Gorefiend likes this.
  16. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Better question: why are either of you worrying about this?

Stop mini-modding, please. :p

Since SW video games typically contribute to the narrative and continuity of the Expanded Universe, Lit is fairly lenient regarding their discussion. As long as this thread focuses on speculation around the time period, plot and setting -- as opposed to, say, game mechanics -- I would say it's quite kosher.
    ;)

Not that anyone has much to work off, right now.... [face_dunno]

Reaper63 and Force Smuggler like this.
  17. Obie-2-Kenobi

Obie-2-Kenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 18, 2008
    GTA 6 : Imperial City

I'm totally down for that.

18. Reveen

Reveen Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 4, 2012
    The game wouldn't necessarily take place on one planet. I can think of a few open world games that have different "levels" of open world. The first Mercenaries game did that, the new Metal Gear game is doing that. What else?

It would have to be a pair of planets that would make narrative sense for you to jump between though. Maybe one that starts off on Hutta and sends you to Nar Shaddaa or vice versa.

19. KamSolusar

KamSolusar Jedi Grand Master star 2

Mar 8, 2001
    The problem I have with Coruscant as the setting is that it's pretty hard to capture the feeling of a vast, vertical city with hundreds and thousands of levels. Most open world games play in more or less flat settings - there are maybe hills, mountains and underground caves but no huge areas with multiple levels atop each other. To do Coruscant right, you'd need the ability to move seemlessly between the different tiers of the city, use a jetpack to hop from a bridge to the street a hundred meters below or climb up to another level via a cable launcher. The alternative would be lifts between the different levels of the city, which are pretty much just disguised loading screens, so it wouldn't be a seemless world. TOR did Coruscant, but the city didn't feel any different than a dozen other generic SciFi games.

20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    So Leia was at the pole?

21. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    Special Flashpoint area for subscribers.

22. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    Sounds good. Unfortunately, with current technologies, I probably won't be getting the fully-fleshed out 200 planet galaxy I was hoping for. Also, a new RTS like Empire at War would be welcome, but have actually balanced teams.

23. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    i could see a Star Wars Morrowind, or Skyrim. You can choose from like 6 races. I could see a setup similar to Old Republic.

24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    What "Races" do people want to see and what advantages/drawbacks should they have?

25. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I hated the Twi'leks in the Galaxies MMO. Not like I have anything against Twi'leks in general, mind you. But it was like everyone had to be a dang Twi'lek. "Oh look at me, aren't I so awesome? I'm a Twi'lek!"

And I knew all the slave-Leia Twi'leks were really dudes. C'mon fellows. We all knew it.

RC-1991 and Gorefiend like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.