main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

So Today's Rant is Against...Home Delivery Network!

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by LAJ_FETT , Nov 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    A couple of days ago I got an Amazon UK email saying that my order containing Clone Wars Season 1, a book, and the 2010 Classic SW calendar had been shipped using Home Delivery Network. There was a tracking number so I've been keeping an eye on the shipment. Today it came up Delivered. Good, I thought. Got home from work around 4:30 PM. No package. No little card to say they delivered a package. No little card saying they tried to deliver a package. Knocked on the door of the upstairs flat since one of them works from home. He answered and said he was home all day and didn't see anyone. So now I am using words I can't use here. Booted up the laptop and came online to get the tracking number off Amazon. Went on to HDNL's website and looked up the shipment. A note next to the 'delivered' status said 'Left in outbuilding'. The only outbuildings here are the garages and they are locked. By now it's dark so I get a torch and go back out. I walked around the parking area of the flats and almost took a header on 4 large boxes left near one of the neighbor's bins. None of those said Amazon and none had my name on them so I kept looking. Nothing.
    Now, the flats have a big back garden area surrounded by a 6-foot wooden fence. Inside the big garden area has been quartered (one bit for each flat) and those are separated by a 4-foot high wire fence. So I go into my garden and I look in mine and the one for the upstairs flat on my side. Nothing. I go and peer over the fence into the other gardens and there it was. In the garden of the other downstairs flat. I could see the 'Amazon' on the side. But could I reach it? Not without going over the fence and the last time I did that it hurt for about a week. I go around to the neighbor's gate and it's locked from the inside. Neither of their cars are there so I write a note and toss it through their mail slot.
    So by now I'm pretty mad, especially as I think that the only way the driver could have gotten the box in there is to heave it over the 6-foot wooden fence. Also, my flat is clearly marked with my number - there's a plaque next to the door. So the driver obviously didn't even come around to my side of the building to look for the right flat to begin with!

While I waited for one of the neighbors to get home from work, I phoned up HDNL and gave them a rant and swore out a complaint against the driver. Then I phoned up Amazon and told them what I thought of their using HDNL for delivery. And while I was stuck on hold for about 10 minutes with HDNL waiting for an answer, I got right through to an Amazon rep. So there's a customer service point for them.

The neighbors finally came home so I have my package. Luckily the DVDs don't look damaged from the drop. And the large packages I almost tripped over? Cat litter delivery for the same neighbors. So I saved them a hunt in the darkness as I told them exactly where their parcels were.

2. orn-free-tada

orn-free-tada Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 11, 2001
    That is absolutely unbelievable!!

3. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Yeh, at least Royal Mail would send the package to the nearest Office for you to go and collect.
    And that company should at least have left a note and returned your delivery to the warehouse or wherever it is that the item is stored before it is sent to you.

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    And I'm not the only one. A Google search turned up: HDNL Tossed My Parcel Over the Gate.

Language Note: Some of the language on this site is inappropriate for here. If you don't want to see it don't click the link.

5. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    If Amazon get enough complaints hopefully they'll drop HDNL and use sopmeone who won't be so reckless with people's stuff.

It only goes to show you that budgeting and getting a cheap company is not always a good idea.

6. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Sopmeone are just as bad as HDNL I'm afraid. They burnt my parcel and posted the ashes through my neighbour's catflap.

7. Tim_In_CT

Tim_In_CT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2002

8. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    It'll be worse ordering food and getting crumbs arrive in a box.

9. AmberStarbright

AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master star 7

Dec 20, 2002
    Ok that's making Canada Post look good, I never thought I'd say that one either!

10. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000

11. AmberStarbright

AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master star 7

Dec 20, 2002
    Don't be, I think most of the problem is Canada Post. USPS actually updated when it had info, which is more than can be said about the post system in Canada.

Honestly here's a good example, I had to wait for immigration paper work from Ottawa (I believe its probably a 5 hr drive from where I am near Toronto) now my mum posted something same day from the UK to me. My mum's package got here first, to me that's just messed up. I know Canada's big but same province shouldn't take longer than international shipping ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.