main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

So what did you really think of the Power of the Force 2 action figures years ago?

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by JediMasterKendo, Nov 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediMasterKendo

JediMasterKendo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 2, 2000
    Years ago when the Power of the Force 2 figures came out along with with the Original trilogy being re-released in theaters as the Special Editions, what did you guys really think of the Power of the Force 2 action figures and this is before the internet forms were available and before everyone was having hissy fits about the so called "monkey face" Leia figure and the Han and Luke figures being too buff like He-Man.

Some of the figures I did like such as Emperor Palptaine, C3-PO, R2-D2 and Ackbar

2. rodan70

rodan70 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 1, 2002
    I loved that series. I was younger and it was the first real time for me to collect the whole series. And yes, some of the sculpts were over the top, but they were still better than the previous versions.

3. pretender

pretender Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 8, 2001
    The humans didn't look that good but I still have my C3PO, R2D2, Vader and Boba Fett carded. :)

I liked their sculpts and I liked the orange and black card design, better than the green/black design they switched too.

4. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    I didn't really care for them. The last issue of Star Wars Insider has a good story with Hasbro on why they made them that way though.

5. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    I missed that. Could someone give me the gist of their reasoning?

6. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    When they first came out, I bought them, ignoring such things like Luke Skywalker with a bodybuilder's figure and Leia with a rather unpleasant face sculpt, because, hey, new SW toys!

But to be honest, I'm glad they ditched that stuff for movie accuracy as they went along.

7. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    A lot of people didn't like them. I did. Compare to the 1977-1983 line and c'mon! Just having clear blue lightsabers was super cool! Chewbacca looked a little hokey--more so than the body builder sculpts. And all the old toys being brought back as close as possible to the originals was great! Sure, I missed the floating ball on a string from my original Falcon, and the light bulb in the nose of my X-wing, but the new decorations and sound FX were totally worth it. Then there was the dumb cannons in Vader's TIE... Still, the old, small X-wing is way better than the new one. Esp for kids who actually (gasp) PLAY with their toys.
    Yes, newer sculps have are improving, but the PotF2 were frickin' marvelous.

8. DarthGeist

DarthGeist Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 3, 2008
    To tell you the truth, I thought they were the best. I was born in 1985 and fell in love with Star Wars as a kid. Sadly, I had to wait until the late 90's to get my hands on Star Wars toys so I thought the POTF figures were the greatest.

What's more, I was so taken aback by the "New style" figures released with the prequels, that I didn't buy hardly anything from Ep.I or II (a mistake on my part).

Now, I LOVE that the sculpts are as accurate as they are and I'm constantly geeking out over the added articulation. In fact, I just bought my umpteenth Luke Skywalker figure (Vintage Collection - Bespin Fatigues) JUST because he has ball joints all over the place!

9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The bulky designs were only distracting for some of the characters- but they eventually trimmed things down as the line progressed. Only the original Leia was really terrible (what was worse was she was ugly AND rare!).

I still think they have more character to them than the Episode I stuff that replaced them. It isn't until the last few years that the quality of the newer releases has started to really replace POTF2 as "the line" in my eyes.

10. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    I bought them all back then. Every frikken variant. .00, .01, .02, etc. Even bought the uber-rare and ugly monkey faced Leia off ebay for $50. Blech.

Some were good, but I hated the He-Man builds. Yes, the droids, and some others were good. But others were atrociious. But it was SW back on the shelves for the first time since I was a kid. So I bought them. Bought them all until TPM, then I stopped buying for years. I think the collecting everything and only displaying them was what burned me out.

But I much prefer the more realistic ones now. As much as I have nostalgia for the original 80's ones I had as a kid, I enjoy watching my own kids playing with the new ones more. They are more poseable, look better, and I can always buy POTF ones at thrift stores for dirt cheap. And other than the ones my kids play with, I only buy troopers that I'll do the costumes for (or have done). I am much more selctive about them, and it's more fun now being the action figure than just having them on display.

11. pablohero

pablohero Jedi Youngling

Sep 23, 2010
    I'm still buying those figures. A lot of them loose, so I can complete my collection, and some of them carded, specially the "hard to find" or "exclusives" ones.
    POTF2 will always rock!

12. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    At the time, I was too excited to have Star Wars toys to care about the awkward, bulky sculpts. The only figure I hated from day one was "Monkey Leia". Nowadays though, I have all my POTF2 in storage, except for the Flashback Emperor Palpatine. That one's still my favorite ROTJ interpretation of the character.

13. leiaa

leiaa Jedi Youngling

Mar 14, 2011
    I have to say that I love those figures! Was really excited when they first came out and still like them a lot. :)

14. Lizardmonkey

Lizardmonkey Jedi Master star 2

May 21, 2002
    I always thought that the bodybuilder designs were a ten-years-too-late attempt to cash in onthe He-Man craze,
    MOTU having partly killed the original star wars toy line. ;)

15. Magellan_the_Cat

Magellan_the_Cat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    At the time, I sometimes was hanging around a friend's 5-yo, who loved them because they were easy to make stand up (unlike G.I.Joe and some others).
    I liked them.
    OK, I wondered why the didn't make them closer to the G.I.Joe as far as joints and what-not, but hey, they were back!!! For the first time in 10 years!
    So yay. And they did make some major improvements&corrections.

16. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Yeah we fans who spent years without any figures after the original Kenner line ended were just excited to get ANYTHING new. They came out after I graduated from college and had my first job - so I actually had money to buy my own stuff!

I'm going through now and getting rid of most of those that I have as extras. I might keep one or two for display purposes but the humans, Vader, and Chewy were just silly looking. And yes, god that Leia was atrocious.

17. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    Same for me, they came out during college years. Had a few that were bought for me/nephew, but I ended up with them. Kept most in packaging and sent a few others packing because
    of the way they looked. But it brought back star wars collecting into my life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.