main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

So what does everyone think of Galactic Battlegrounds

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by DarthKyp99, Dec 23, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlienAcid

AlienAcid Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    Now Outcast, on the other hand, that looks like a cool game. Sure, it uses the Quake 3/Soldier of Fortune design, but dammit I don't care and I am going to like it! LOL
    maybe that is how some feel about battlegrounds.

2. Vezner

Vezner Force Ghost star 5

Dec 29, 2001
    Ah...my sarcasm escapes you. "THE DAY IS MINE"!!

3. Darkside_Spirit

Darkside_Spirit Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 9, 2001
    Hmmmm... It's a good game, but not an excellent one. Put it that way. It's very fun to play, and I don't feel that my money has been wasted; but I am a little disappointed.

1. It sticks too close to Age of Kings - IMHO, far too close. There are some aspects, like farms and walls, that are only appropriate for medieval strategy games, and are totally out of place in a Star Wars product.

2. The inroads made by Force Commander have not been followed. True, it was a flawed game, a badly flawed one, but aspects such as the adjustable camera, properly modelled terrain and the dropping of units from space deserved to be carried over. I hoped Battlegrounds would be an updated Force Commander with the good parts carried over but the flaws corrected. Unfortunately, I hoped in vain.

It's a good game, but not as impressive as it could have been if a different approach had been taken.

4. Emperor_Dan

Emperor_Dan Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 1999
    Oh please... It's the same freaking game.

Have you PLAYED the game? Have you READ my above post?

Anyway, I also feel it stuck a little TOO close to AoK, but AoK was a good game. Walls and farms are fine really. I think this game could have greatly benefitted from 3D. I thought the 3D was fine in FC, but the rest of the game was badly flawed. If GBG was in 3D, and kept all of the same units, techs, buildings, whatever, I think it would have been much better. A 2D engine only goes so far. Plus, it would have been easier to make it more Star Wars like. Of course, now it's more like working off the AoM engine, which Ensemble is not willing to sell yet. Perhaps next time.

5. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    Have you PLAYED the game? Have you READ my above post?

LOL!!!

6. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    The Knight, looks like a, well Knight on a horse, the rebel looks like a guy on some fuzzy animal

But. A tauntaun is a... fuzzy animal.

7. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    "The Knight, looks like a, well Knight on a horse"

Well Lucas got his idea for "Jedi Knight" from Knights - so it's fitting. :p :D

8. Vezner

Dec 29, 2001
    Originality... THAT'S ALL I ASK!!! Of course we did get Force Commander...and we all know how that went. *shivers* Do some of those guys at Lucasarts actually play games? You'd think that they would have some idea of what's cool and what's not. They were doing something right when they made X-wing and Dark Forces (plus all of the sequals) but lately they have been botching everything up pretty badly. The prequal games all suck and the strategy games starting with Rebellion were nausiating. I have all but given up on Lucasarts. However I am still hopeful on Outcast. (fingers crossed).

9. Jedi-Corleone

Jedi-Corleone Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 28, 2001
    I will always want another space sim. Until they make one. Then I'll want another one after that. If they're still good, we'll see.

I never played Aok, just the C&C games. But I prefer GB over Force Commander as it's less hard work. It's a game of strategy and gameplay. FC was just "build as many units as it lets you and hammer the baddies down."

The lack of 3D graphics and rotatable camera is a blessing for those with older processors, allowing the game to reach a wider market. See how many more people here have played this game already than FC. I have a fast enough computer for this not to matter, but to be honest, when everything's so small on-screen anyway, 3D graphics are just a pain in the arse.

I like it! And it's led me to like Force Commander less.

I suppose the same thing will happen with JK in the summer.

#FEED ME! FEED ME, SEYMOUR!#

10. Jedi-Corleone

Oct 28, 2001
    ERLY, WHERE'S THE CAMEL? ;)

11. Emperor_Dan

Emperor_Dan Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 1999
    Ok, Ok, JC =)

Well, frankly, I'd rather them not be original and have them make a good game. Sometimes you can be too original and it doesn't work. The few things that LEC did change in GBG made it quite different, I think, but it's not different enough for the general public (who really just want to play FPS anyway) to accept. :)

12. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    Of course we did get Force Commander...and we all know how that went. *shivers* ...

GRRRR~!!!!

ForceCommander = great game (if people would give it the extra few mins to learn the amazing and "before its time" camera!) but noooooo people like to play a lame easy game ( :p)

[face_plain] [face_plain] [face_plain]

13. pat-fett

pat-fett Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 17, 2001
    I've had the game a few days now. I enjoy it. Although for me it's hard at times but that just makes it more enjoyable.

14. Vezner

Dec 29, 2001
    "ForceCommander = great game (if people would give it the extra few mins to learn the amazing and "before its time" camera!) but noooooo people like to play a lame easy game"

Unfortunately I only played the demo, and like another Strategy game that we all know, IT SUCKED! If a company is going to come out with a demo, they had better make sure it's a good one. If I play a demo and it SUCKS, there is very little chance that I will by the game. Star Wars or not. IMHO ;)

15. Jedi-Corleone

Oct 28, 2001
    I never had a demo, I just had the full thing. It was great, but was a bit slow at times on my old 550. Got bored quite quick, even when I moved onto a 1.33ghz

16. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    I had the demo installed - I tried it, didn't do very well (as I didn't know any controls) jp-30 then gave me the real game for my B/Day prezzie and I got stuck in! The first 3 levels are training - they incorporate this well into the bigger story of the game. You are a new CO and you are testing the BHCI and then a pod lands near your position with the possible data that was intercepted by rebel spys - droids are found blah blah blah - they worked this in VERY well!

And I stand by FC as one of my Favourite games of All Time!

17. Lord_Erly

Lord_Erly Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 21, 2001
    To JC:

The camel is a bit bored recently because I don't have as much time for playing, as we both would like to have.

But it's fine, bidding its time. ;-)

Maybe you should play a game of GBG with the camel and me one day.

18. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    Not good, Age of Empires Strikes Back, Naff, Dull, Unpractical, No Force Boats.

Right, where's that pizza.

19. Anakin_Skywalker20

Anakin_Skywalker20 Jedi Master star 5

Nov 16, 2000
    the game is cool. thats all i have to say... ;)

20. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    I thought Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds is a very good game. In many ways it's different to AOE2. It's very well made and it's great to see LucasArts finally getting themselves out of the hole they dug for themselves after the flops of Star Wars: Rebellion, Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace and Star Wars: Force Commander. I look forward to many new games from LucasArts in the years to come.

21. barnsthefatjedi

barnsthefatjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 17, 2001
    Good game. I wish you could build Jedi/Sith temples in the normal campaigns though.

22. 1stAD

1stAD Jedi Youngling star 5

May 10, 2001
    I've never been a fan of RTS games nor have I played AoE or AoK, but I just got GB and found it to be quite fun.

I'm on the last mission of the first campaign. I like setting up grenade troopers and having them lob their goodies, making it impossible for invading forces to pass :D

23. Jedi-Corleone

Oct 28, 2001
    AND TEH FORCE BOAT RETURNS TO GALACTIC BATTLEGROUNDS!!!!

They can play us, but eventually they give in. The force boat cheat IS in the full game, but the code is SCARYNEIGHBOR. Official Lucasarts site says so!

If people already knew this; WHY WASN'T I TOLD?!

24. pat-fett

pat-fett Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 17, 2001
    Really. I'll have to chek that out soon.

25. barnsthefatjedi

barnsthefatjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 17, 2001
    Does anyone know where I can get a no-cd crack for this game?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.