main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

So what does everyone think of Galactic Battlegrounds

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by DarthKyp99, Dec 23, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YetiMan

YetiMan Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 11, 2001
    It's a great game, I got mine at the Goodwill for $10.00. [face_laugh]

2. Hama

Hama Retired GSA, Retired RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2000
    If anyone wants to play a round of SW:GB with me online, PM me and let me know.

Anyone think they might do something like a Total Annihilation: Core Contingency CD for SW:GB after the Episode II release? Maybe a "Clone Contingency?" A few new units, missions, or maybe a new civilization would be cool.

3. Shi-Bandarr

Shi-Bandarr Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 1, 2000
    Ok, so where's the Falcon?

I play a little bit, but I guess not enough because I have yet to see the Falcon in any of the missions. Any clue as to where it is?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hama, I'll gladly play a round or two with you when I get the time. My son is monopolizing my time right now but when I get the chance I'll PM you if you're still interested in the challenge. :)

4. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Looks like the Ep2 expansion pack's about to be announced;

Aristotle of LucasArts Fan Network let us know that Galactic Battlegrounds Director Garry M. Gaber posted something of particular interest:

I've actually been busily working since then on another Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds-related project. I can't tell you yet what it is, but I am informed by marketing that an announcement is imminent. I hope you all will be very excited by this announcement.

5. Hama

Hama Retired GSA, Retired RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2000
    Yeah, I saw that announcement, too. I'm hoping it's some kind of expansion pack.

6. StormKnight

StormKnight Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 26, 2001
    The Millenium Falcon has been sighted in two of my missions:

Darth Vader 5: The Battle of Hoth
    At the end of the mission, as you approach the hangar, Luke's X-Wing and the Falcon fly out of the hangar. It IS possible to shoot them down - I've done it, with no adverse effects.

Chewbacca 6: Avatar
    Early in the mission, you're given command over a few fighters. One of them is the Falcon, under Lando's command. It's highly useful - in fact, the mission is nearly impossible without its help.

7. Shi-Bandarr

Shi-Bandarr Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 1, 2000
    Thanks StormKnight. I was under the impression that it was a another buildable unit, so I was racking my brain trying to figure out why I couldn't find it. :p

BTW: It sounds as if this expansion pack is going to rock! I can't wait to get my hands on it.

8. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Clone Expansions Concept Art

[image=http://www.lucasarts.com/products/battlegrounds/images/concepts_cc/5.jpg]
    [image=http://www.lucasarts.com/products/battlegrounds/images/concepts_cc/4.jpg]
    [image=http://www.lucasarts.com/products/battlegrounds/images/concepts_cc/3.jpg]
    [image=http://www.lucasarts.com/products/battlegrounds/images/concepts_cc/2.jpg]
    [image=http://www.lucasarts.com/products/battlegrounds/images/concepts_cc/1.jpg]

9. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    Well, I thought GBG sucked, so if these campaigns are just based on the film and don't really offer anything new, I'm not getting the thing.

10. Emperor_Dan

Emperor_Dan Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 1999
    If you thought it sucked, don't bother buying the X-pack. Yes, there's going to be more than just new campaigns. It'll make the game better than it already is, but if you didn't like the game, it's not going to be so different to make you like it.

11. IAmTheDarkSide

Jan 9, 2002
    I buy only PC games that have gotten good reviews -- unless they're Star Wars games. I've bought the bad with the good, usually for the story. What I'm saying is that if Clone Campaigns doesn't have much to add to the story, I'm not getting it.

12. Emperor_Dan

Aug 21, 1999
    To the story? What exactly do you mean?

There will be probably 2 new campaigns in the Ex-pack, 2 new civs for use in the game, and 200+ new units (That's about 140 specifically for the civs, so around 40-ish in the scnario editor, and the rest will be new units for use in the regular game).

RTS games are never really about story. Their shine is in the multiplayer games. And yes, there will be a lot added in that respect.

13. IAmTheDarkSide

Jan 9, 2002
    I shall repeat myself more eloquently.

Most of the time, I will wait and get a game only if it looks good, and gets good reviews.

I so far have bought all the Star Wars PC games as they have come out, regardless of whether they've been good or bad, because I know that even if it's not a good game it will contribute to the Star Wars saga, which I love. But if the two campaigns in Clone Campaigns don't contribute anything to the story beyond what we learn in Attack of the Clones, then I won't bother buying it. It will have the honor of being the first Star Wars PC game that I don't buy.

14. Emperor_Dan

Aug 21, 1999
    OK - so if you're one who plays the game soley based on the single player (i.e. the story) aspect, then YES, I'll bet that there's going to be more than just what is seen in AOTC. In fact, I guarantee it. So, if that's what you're looking for, Clone Campaigns will deliver.

But, I and a lot of other gamers, don't buy a game for single player. Personally, it's a waste of my time because the computer is really not a fun opponent. Multiplayer means replayability.

15. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Great contest on lucasarts.com

LucasArts Entertainment Company Presents
    The Star Wars® Galactic Battlegrounds?
    Design Your Own Mission Contest

The destiny of a galaxy is in your hands. Do you have what it takes to lead your army to victory? Then prove it by creating an awesome level to show us what you've got in the Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds "Design Your Own Mission" Contest.

Between February 25, 2002 and April 3, 2002, you have the chance to have your level included on the upcoming expansion disc Star Wars® Galactic Battlegrounds?: Clone Campaigns?. Not only that, but you will also receive a $50 spending spree at the LucasArts Company Store, a cool Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds short-sleeved T-shirt and have your user-created level posted on www.lucasarts.com for other fans to download and enjoy! Let other strategy fans see how great level design and game play is done!

Levels will be evaluated on a weekly basis and winners will be announced the week of April 29, 2002.

What You Have To Do.
    Simply create a scenario for Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds based on the criteria below. Once you have created your game scenario, simply click the 'I Agree' button, and enter the following information into the body of your e-mail, attaching and sending your scenario to us!

PLEASE NOTE: You MUST add "Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds Contest" to the subject line and include the following information in the body of your e-mail in order for your entry to be valid.
    Brief description of the level
    Your name
    Your age
    Date your level is being submitted
    Return e-mail address
    Street address
    City
    State
    Zip code.
    Area code and telephone number
    All user created level submissions must also meet the following criteria:
    Must be sent as a compressed, self-extracting archive file not to exceed 2 megabytes (click here to download a .zip compression utility if you do not already own it.)
    All scenarios sent in from February 25, 2002 until 3:00 PM (PST), April 3, 2002 will be entered into the competition. Levels will be evaluated on a weekly basis and winners announced the week of April 29, 2002.

Judging.
    The contest will be judged by a panel of Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds team members. Judging will be based on the following categories:
    Fun Factor: How much fun is it to play your scenario. (frustration factor vs. payoff)
    Story: How interesting and well thought out is the plot of your scenario?
    Map Design: How well does your map design work with your scenario?
    Clarity: Is it clear what a player is supposed to do in your scenario; are the objectives clearly defined?
    PLEASE NOTE: While your level can be any length, the fun factor, story, and clarity should be clearly defined within the first 30 minutes of play.

P.S. - Extra points for the most authentic feeling Star Wars scenarios! ;-)

The Prize.
    Four Grand Prize winners will:
    Receive one free copy of LucasArts' Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds: Clone Campaigns upon its release this Spring, along with the opportunity to have their level included on the game CD.
    Receive a Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds short sleeve T-Shirt (size XL only).
    Have their level posted on the LucasArts.com website for other users to download.
    A coupon for Fifty Dollars good towards the purchase of merchandise from the LucasArts Company Store located online at store.lucasarts.com.

(approximate retail value of entire prize package = $95.00)
    Four (4) runners up will receive:

A Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds short sleeve T-Shirt (size XL only).
    A coupon in the amount of Fifty Dollars good towards the purchase of merchandise from the LucasArts Company Store located online at store.lucasarts.com.

(approximate retail value of entire prize package = $65.00)

But as always;

1. Contest open to legal residents of U.S. only. Contest not open to anyone under the age of 13.

What a booger.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.