main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

So what happened to the Mon Calamari?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JoruusCbaoth, May 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoruusCbaoth

JoruusCbaoth Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 14, 2003
    Simply a case of EU limbo, or did they retreat to their peaceful, ocean loving ways?

What I refer to is the lack of Mon Calamari warships following Dark Empire chronologically. They were the backbone of the Rebel fleet, all the way back to pre-Yavin times, and continued to be so through the conquest of Coruscant, the hunt for Zsinj, the Thrawn campaign, and Dark Empire.

There's some small mention in JAT and New Rebellion, but as of Black Fleet Crisis, none of the "new class" ships seem to have Calamari origins at all. In fact, other than Admiral Ackbar and Cilghal, their species seems vastly underrepresented compared to their Rebellion era counterparts.

Granted I'm still behind on the EU, as I'm only up to Rebel Dream, and I know Ackbar makes his return later, but the backbone of the NR Navy seems to be Star Destroyers and Bothan ships like the Ralroost.

Thoughts?

2. DarthKarde

DarthKarde Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    There are still Mon Cal ships around in the NJO. The first capital ship we see in VP is a Mon Cal Battle Cruiser, the mediator. It is described as one of the newest ships in the NR fleet.

During the rebellion and early days of the NR they were the main capital ships that were available but as the NR grew and became moe stable more and more ships became available and thus the NR became less reliant on Mon Cal ships.

3. Cal_Omas

Cal_Omas Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 17, 2003
    When the Rebels were still just, well, Rebels, they didn't have access to any other major shipyards than those at Mon Calamari. But as the New Republic grew, they gained access to numerous other shipyards (Kuat, Corellia, Sluis Van, Bilbringi and so on) that produced other ship classes.

4. JoruusCbaoth

Apr 14, 2003
    Basically what I figured, either way, the Mon Cal were a bigger plot device in early Bantam Era EU than later on.

5. CommanderConrad

CommanderConrad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 30, 2003
    During the NJO, the Bothans were building their own cruisers. Maybe the New Republic decided to buy less Mon Cal cruisers because of that.

6. JoruusCbaoth

Apr 14, 2003
    Given Ackbar's retirement, and the Bothan presidency, I wouldn't put it past them.

7. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    Has anyone read DHC Republic #50 - the Mon Cals (or a splinter group) are in there. Real interesting perspective, since there is confusion now in the EU in the prequel era over why Quarren (who were supposedly very isolationistic) represent their world in the senate, whilst the Mon Cal don't.

As for the original question - yep they have gone quiet, but their ships still appear - wans't their ships part of the Rep. Fleet in the Black Fleet Crisis?

8. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Forget Ackbar's retirement, merely having a Bothan president causes me not to put it past them.

9. Jedi_Loon

Jedi_Loon Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 15, 2002
    It does seem like Borsk's style to shut the Mon Cals out...

10. WMCoolmon

WMCoolmon Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2002
    A couple ideas: One, as Cal_Omas said, the New Republic has access to many more shipyards now, and it's much, much larger than it was when it was just the Rebellion. The proportion of Mon Cal ships to other ships is probably much smaller, since there's only one system producing Mon Cal ships, but several others producing other ship classes.
    Two, most of the Mon Cal ships might be stationed near Mon Calamari. Most of the early cruisers were designed with Mon Cals, rather than humans, in mind. Thus, it makes sense to station them nearest the main source of Mon Cal recruits. Also, it means that they have a shorter distance to travel to reach the main Mon Cal shipyards, which probably have the best refit/repair facilities for MC cruisers.

Still, I wouldn't put it past Borsk to quietly arrange for more shipments of Bothan vessels - it would certainly benefit him.

11. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    Yeah, maybe the Mon Calamari in the aftermath of Fey'lya's unfortunate rise to power, lost influence on the Board of Military Procurement, so other ship types, though not by any means inferior, began to become more common in the NR navy.

12. JoruusCbaoth

Apr 14, 2003
    "It does seem like Borsk's style to shut the Mon Cals out... "

Shut out doesn't begin to describe it, given that he accused Ackbar of treason, and managed to get everyone to believe him except the big three. After Ackbar's retirement, that meant that the NR's military hierarchy was composed almost entirely of Bothans and Sullustans, who would naturally influence ship procurement.

13. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Calamari has featured in Destiny's Way and Remnant. The latter commented it had 27 billion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.