main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canada So, what is the general Canadian opinion of the USA?

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by jedi_master_ousley, Aug 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    I live in the USA, and have my whole life. But I've been wondering for a while, what's the general Canadian opnion of the USA? What do you learn about the USA in school?

I'm only asking because none of my teachers have ever put much emphasis on Canada, and as you can see in my sig, my current teacher "has nothing important to say" about Canada.

2. DarthBabe

DarthBabe Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 18, 2002
    I don't like saying my opinion cuz I'll just get yelled at. :p

3. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    Its comments like that from your teacher that raises harsh sentiment from Canadians.

I know lots of Americans, some are great some are poor in opinion....

4. Sar-Tamber-lac

Sar-Tamber-lac Jedi Master star 5

May 24, 2002
    As an American living in Canada, I have this to say...

DON'T LISTEN TO ANYONE! CANADA IS AMAZING!!

Now that that's out of my system...

As a teacher myself, I am offended by what your teacher said. Mind you, that's not your fault. There are so many wonderful things about Canada. I love it very much, which is probably why I'm chosing to live there now, instead of in the States.

Do the research for yourself. Visit if you can. Canada is amazing. The people are wonderful here. While there are some who take the anti-Americanism to the extreme, the whole cannot be judged by the few. Same with the United States. Just because some people make ignorant comments such as your teachers, doesn't mean all Americans are like that. I faced a bit of the anti-American thing when I joined these boards, and even in real life, but it's nothing compared to the many wonderful Canadians I've met.

On a whole, I've found that Canadians are very accepting of Americans. There's a lot to be said for being neighbors. Just don't go around saying the kinds of things your teacher did. And vice versa. Canadians can be just as mean as shallow as Americans can be. But just chalk that up to ignorance and let it be. To end this little big post:

CANADA ROCKS!

5. Izird

Izird Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2001
    Thanks for the vote of confidence, Tammy! Would the anti-American type people include me, or my brother?

Some Canadians are ignorant of Americans, and vice-versa. Personally, I don't really like Americans that are confident in their ignorance. For those who are willing to learn about other countries without a sense of superiority, I think they're great!

6. Stina-Cri

Stina-Cri Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    i think in any culture you find people confident in their ignorance...but if people would onl look a little closer they would find they have tons of stuff in common with other people from other places.

As an american I have had friends from places as far away as spain. This board however is really the only connection i currently have to canada and i hope that you view the americans on this board the way most of us view you all, as a neighbor. we all have at least one thing in common we all like Star Wars!

7. DarthBabe

DarthBabe Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 18, 2002
    At work I talk to Americans all day. And as long as they're not screaming at me because they're insurance has been cancelled, then they're really nice people. ;)

My best friend from college is American and Canadian. And she's really great. :D

8. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    I have quite a lot of family that has the USA as a home. I've grown up greatly taking a strong interest in your history. There are quite afew things that I also don't agree with that your country does. But above all, I've always greatly respected your people.

9. Wolf

Wolf Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    Hmmm America is...... "whats that they arn't going to protect us with their army, and we will be forced to defend ourselves with our small army and 2 subs?"

Um.. America is great...!

10. sw-starwarsfreakness

sw-starwarsfreakness Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 14, 2003

America.. eee.. I really don't think I should comment. I don't want to be rude.

I'm still trying to figure out the point of the War on Iraq. And was gets me mad is that people still support it. I don't even know why?!

Yet.. o.o not going to talk about politics :D

11. Stina-Cri

May 18, 2002
    i never got the whole war in Iraq thing...i even got kicked out of the one room in my school for a day for protesting it....

12. sw-starwarsfreakness

Jan 14, 2003

So was I actually. It was in an English Class, that had a Religion Teacher teaching it.. don't ask.

She got so fustrated with me, she had firm views.. of what, I just don't know. Yet she got angry at me and told me to leave.

13. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Hey, I think most of the people here in America are morons, so don't feel bad about saying anything. I think that my country's intelligence level is aweful... most countries are way ahead of us in the education department.

I did agree with the War, but I'm not gonna get into that whole thing right now. ;) :p

14. Uilmuteiz

Uilmuteiz RSA Emeritus star 4

Dec 4, 2000
    now now no needs for name calling.

Americans, I love them, well most of them.

Sure there is the occasional troublemaker, but hey I'm from Quebec, it's not like I don't know what troublemakers are.

But in the hard times, I remember people like George Lucas, Stanley Kubrick, Steven Spielberg, The crew of JediTalk, the teams of all the Star Wars Website out there, and I think to myself, what a wonderful country :)

as for the war, well I almost got kicked out of class for listening to up to date coverage. after a short argument with my principal, she let me listen.

Argument: Do you know anyone out there right now? well I do.
    she just couldn't do anything against that.
    Plus I was not interfering with classes so there wsn't really a reason to kick me out and punish me.

ha well one day I hope I'll get the right to reside in the US because I'd really like a job over there and I'd love to spend a year in california, nevada, Washington or Arizona.

15. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    Wolf comeon give credit...we have 3 now... ;)

16. sw-starwarsfreakness

Jan 14, 2003
    LoL! Three.. and flocks of pigions! Don't forget them!

I know some great americans myself. Dynath for instance. Yet there are too many of them that I feel like taking a taser to.

17. Fanboy_Solo

Fanboy_Solo Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 7, 2001
    Ditto. Can't forget to think of all the Americans who I admire and respect, and the friends I have met from the US of A.

Of course, as said before, there are "troublemakers" who don't take kindly at all to the more Liberal standpoint of myself and many. Then I can start on politics, but....yeah.

18. sw-starwarsfreakness

Jan 14, 2003

LoL, us canadian youth. We have such a hard time holding our politics back. :p Must be the school system :D

19. Stina-Cri

May 18, 2002
    liberal american teens have the same problem (i actually said if our current president got re elected i would move to canada)

20. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    I find Americans are like just about anyone else individually. I don't much care for some of your politicians, but the ordinary people seem nice enough to me.

YubYub and TG- Protecting fangirls from hormonally gifted fanboys since 2002

21. Sar-Tamber-lac

Sar-Tamber-lac Jedi Master star 5

May 24, 2002
    Hey, I think most of the people here in America are morons, so don't feel bad about saying anything. I think that my country's intelligence level is aweful... most countries are way ahead of us in the education department.

Hey, check something out...most of the countries that are ahead of us in the education department go to school year-round. If you want to start doing that, then go for it. If not, then don't comment on the intelligence of Americans. There are many, many, many intelligent people in America. Most don't get recognized, and the idiots who act out are the ones who make it on the news. Just remember that the next time you're giving someone permission to trash our country. It ain't happening...

And Izird...I know how you feel about Americans, yet for some reason I still hang out with you. Need to check my head sometime, make sure I'm all there... :p As for your brother, well...I'm not sure what gets me more; the American comments, or the "Woman, make sure my plate is clean!" comments... ;)

22. SuperVader

SuperVader Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 23, 2002
    Americans seem not as nice as candians in general but thats my personal opinion and is probably noy not be entirely shared.

On a side note one american actually pulled over and helped me with my car once.

23. Stina-Cri

May 18, 2002
    i think that all just depends on where you are, but americans are much less tolerant and patient (those are things i am trying to work on)

24. Lelila

Lelila Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 16, 1999
    I've met both some really amazing Americans and some really not-as-amazing ones, just like some Canadians are awesome and some aren't.

Something that has always bothered me is that some Americans seem really ignorant as far as Canada is concerned. It seems that many are wrapped up in the affairs of the USA and don't feel that they have to look beyond that. Maybe that's the fault of the education system, but when I was in elementary school taking history, we didn't stick just to Canadian history, we did a little American history as well. I realize that Canada isn't as important to the US as the US is to Canada, but it seems reasonable that Americans should know a little about Canada. I'm not mad that they don't know about Canada, but I'm frustrated that many don't care to know.

Maybe I'm just bitter at Americans I met in Spain who assumed I was from the USA just because I spoke English and then told me they were disappointed that I didn't say "aboot."

25. Jymm_Roquand

Jymm_Roquand Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 25, 2002
    Well I will put it this way. At one time I used to beleive that everything American was bad. From my point of veiw the Americans belevied themselves superior and Canadians were simply a tool for their means. They thought us to be a lesser nation and any that come from Canada are lesser people. Being Canadian that hurt and gave me a rather angered point of veiw of Americans.

However, as with everything there is two sides to every coin. In the past few years I have made several freinds out of Americans. While yes that point of veiw still exists with some, I assure you that it is nothing more then a small outspoken portion of the population. The fact of the matter is most americans know little about Canada and simply don't regard it. Though I know this isn't much better at least ehy are not atacking them.

I know now that a few bad apples are nt going to force me to judge the whole lot. While I would like to take some of the Americans who beleive themselves superior due to nationality off their high horse I have learned that we are essentially all the same.

So what is my opinion of the USA?

While the general American opinion of us is a little skewed I won't hold it against them. ;) I just am not a fan of the in-your-face patriotism or the attitude to solve every situation at the barrel of a rifle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.