main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

So, what's with the paucity of female composers?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Mastadge, Apr 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Looking over the ranks of film composers -- or just composers in general -- there are very few women. Off the top of my head, I can think of three female film composers -- Rachel Portman, Anne Dudley and, most notably, Debbie Wiseman. Four if you count Lisa Gerrard. Of them, the only one whom I think is really good -- able to stand her own even against the biggest names in the genre -- is Debbie Wiseman. Why are there so few female composers? Is it a field that women are just disinclined traditionally to enter? Is there a more sinister agenda at work?

2. SarahSky

SarahSky Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 16, 2004
    I think it really just goes back years to be honest. Take Tchaikovsky's day, there weren't many female composers around then (if any, enlighten me, please! :)) and this has just continued throughout the years.

Though, it is nice to see female composers emerging out of the darkness!

3. Esperanza_Nueva

Esperanza_Nueva Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 23, 2003
    I think it is mostly just that there is a lack of females in areas such as directors, producers, etc. in the film business. The only two areas that I can think of off the top of my head that really seem prominent with females are acting and costume design.

4. Jedi-Washington

Jedi-Washington Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2003
    Yeah, that is something I find incredibly interesting. Women seem to be taking the performance sector by storm. There are probably as many women performers as men now in orchestras and such. As far as composing and such though, i see vary few women who have gotten up the ranks to anything noticeable. I've seen some band arrangements by women and such, but I don't even recall any of those you listed. (i'm not really fluent in this area though)

Still, that is puzzling though. Same thing with Directors, and producers, and a lot of those things. The entertainment industry is either slow to take on women, or there are few that are interested. (I doubt the latter though) I anxiously await the day when Women are just as common in the busniess as they are in the rest of music, though.

~JW

5. Boba_Fett_123

Boba_Fett_123 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2002
    Shirley Walker. She did the music for the Batman animated series and the Mask of the Phantasm film. She's an excellent composer, but I'm not sure what other work she's done.

6. Assassin

Assassin Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 21, 2000
    It's all a conspiracy by the evil white man

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.