main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

So what's your national sport?

Discussion in 'FanForce Community' started by TheBoogieMan, Sep 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    Here in Australia, we have this strange game called Australian Rules Football. It's kind of a cross between soccer and rugby. Or Gaelic football, if you know that.

It's the grand final on the weekend, so understandably everyone, even people who wouldn't normally be interested in it have their opinions and hopes for the game.

We also have cricket.... but let's not talk about that. :_|

Oh, and some game called 'rugby' that northerners play.

So what's your national sport?

2. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Alot of people will tell you Baseball, But I really believe that football is our national sport here in america. The sport is definately more popular IMO.

3. NaomiOrganaSolo

NaomiOrganaSolo Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 8, 2005
    The national sport here in the UK is definitely football (I refuse to call it soccer :p )

Long live Manchester United!

Up in Scotland, Rugby's very popular too. I'd say about equal with football. Much more so than in England.

As for cricket, well, not many people seemed to care about it til fairly recently. Can't think why...

4. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    I'd say baseball. When a football team plays over a hundred games a year with the crowds of baseball at each one then it can be called the national sport :p Common arguement in the States.

5. Baby_Death_Star

Baby_Death_Star Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 12, 2004
    I'm with Naomi here, - "Hi" btw.

I'm from Germany, so football (yeah, "soccer" sounds dreadful) is the nation's most important #1 sport - by a HUGE margin.

LONG LIVE the FC Bayern Munich!

Most successful german socc-.. football-team ever, 4 times Champions-League-Winner, 2 times World-Team-Champion!

"FC Bayern, forever number one ..." - official team anthem - no joke, the text IS english!

Unlike my father/brother I'm no huge fan, but "our" team has it's base/new stadium ("Allianz Arena") just 45 minutes away from us to the south on the Autobahn, so it's the logical explanation ...

PS: Jedi_Dajuan, the FC Bayern plays about 60 times a season alltogether (League, International Champions-League, National Cup) - and EACH time at home sold out (at least the last seasons), which is about 66,000 viewers.

FC Bayern at "Allianz Arena"

6. DarthVader10

DarthVader10 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 30, 2005
    here in wales it football for me

SWANSEA O'h SWANSEA o'h CITY TONIGHT.

7. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    So, it's baseball/football (is that gridiron?) for the states, and football/soccer for the rest of the world? Heh. In Australia, barely anyone plays soccer/football. Except on SBS, our 'multicultural' TV station it is called "The World Game" which I think is probably a fair enough title. What do you guys think?

8. poof-the-magic-jedi

poof-the-magic-jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 3, 2005
    In Canada, officially I think it's lacrosse, but really it's hockey. Hockey is certainly by far the most popular sport in this country.

9. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    Hockey, like rugby/gridiron and netball/basketball is just one of those sports that I think I will never understand.

10. poof-the-magic-jedi

Jun 3, 2005
    Hockey is not that complicated. You just take a bunch of guys, dress them in Stormtrooper armour with skates, arm them with sticks, divide them into teams, and watch them beat the crap out of each other. There's also some stuff about a puck and scoring goals, but nobody really cares about that anyway.

11. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    [face_laugh] Great description. :D

Plus for field hockey you don't need even skates. :p

And about Basketball, I think Yoda would be a good player. He's so small and agile to run around and through the legs of the other players, and he can even jump high enough to do dunkings. :D

Beside of football, forumula one is another national sport in Germany. Of course more a passive sport for most people. ;)

12. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Well I prefer bandy to ice hockey. In bandy it's not all about beating up the other team, the field is much bigger so they can get up to much higher speeds as well, since you don't need to stop as soon as you have started. Bandy is quite like field hockey but on ice, you have a curved stick and a little red/orange ball. People who make fun of the game always say that the most exciting part of the game is actually to be able to see the ball. Anyway bandy is just big in Sweden and Russia, it's pretty popular in Finland as well, and USA, Norway and Kazakstan have national teams as well.

Otherwise I would say that football and ice hockey are most popular in Sweden.

13. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    Yeah, I heard Hockey is a rather violent game... [face_laugh]

Basketball... yeah. I still don't get it. I mean, I understand it, but I don't get its appeal. Sorry. :p

Bandy... sounds interesting. Is it popular?

14. poof-the-magic-jedi

Jun 3, 2005
    I've heard of bandy, but never seen it. It's often one of the sports credited as the inspiration for hockey as bandy was apparently somewhat popular in Europe before hockey was developed in Canada.

15. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I'd say that bandy is quite popular in Sweden, it depends a bit on where you from though. The big final in the national championships is seens as on of the three big annual sporting events in Sweden, since it's one of few finals that only takes place in one big game. Most other sports nowaday have a final series.

16. RubberRonny

RubberRonny Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 23, 2005
    Corn Plucking

17. Lord-Wiz

Lord-Wiz Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2005
    football (soccer :p ), i`m too lazy to play it myself, but i support Aston Villa , and when england play, everything stops so i can watch the game.

18. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
  19. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    Being Half-Australian/Half-English I have two national sports.

The Australian side of me is Cricket, and the English side of me is Football -- Yes, proper Football; none of that "Soccer" crap!

I support the Australian Cricket team, and the English national side in Football - Wolverhampton Wanderers for local Football.

I couldn't stand AFL...I found it so boring. o_O

20. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    AFL?!? Boring?!?!

Heresey!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.