main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

So, what's your story?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Ginger_Jedi, Aug 26, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ginger_Jedi

Ginger_Jedi Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    Why did you start writing fan fiction? I'm kinda curious...

Personally I started after I had read a lot but I was really nervous at first. I was worried people would flame me but I posted and the feedback was wonderful.

Behind every good writer is plenty of faithful feedbackers! :D

So, how about everyone else? :)

2. Chocos_Ramabotti

Chocos_Ramabotti Jedi Padawan star 4

May 9, 2001
    The same as you :D :D :D :D :D

3. Ginger_Jedi

Jun 4, 2001
    Cool Chocos! I'm not the only one! :D

I'm wondering if someone out there just wrote a fanfic before reading any.

Anyone out there still too nervous to post a fan fic?

4. Sticks

Sticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 27, 2001
    I started when I stumbled onto the fanfic board and had a half-written story in my notebook. That became Refuge. Then I wrote the prequel, Parting, and I'm currently on the sequel, Home. And that's my story. ;)

5. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    I stumbled into fanfic one day while I was just bored with Community. I read the stories for a while, and then half-heartedly began one of my own.

My interest really grew after doing a beta read for somebody. I got the confidence to post my story, and thanks to some wonderful responses continued writing.

Everything after that is history, as they say.

6. SiriGallia

SiriGallia Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2001
    It all started with a sentence....

---Ari-Yon had made a mistake, he knew he had and it became apperant when his backwards flip, turned into a backwards twist and he landed painfully on his knees---

~~~Hostage To Darkness

It snow balled from there ;)

¸..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
    ¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
    ((¸¸.·´ ..·´ -:¦:-Siri
    -:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*

7. Ginger_Jedi

Jun 4, 2001
    It's funny isn't it how you can sometimes read something and be inspired to do something yourself.

Sticks Stumbled upon the boards huh? Same here. :)

Herman would you recommend beta reading to someone who feels too nervous to post and needs a way to boost their confidence?

Siri I know what you mean about everything starting from one sentence. My fics often do. Everything builds up from a few simple words.

Thanks for sharing everyone! :D

8. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    It really depends on the author you beta for. A very egotistical author could destroy someone's confidence if he/she summarily rejected every piece of advice that the beta suggested.

Fortunately for me the author I worked with was not only effusive with her thanks, but actually took the time to respond to my suggestions and let me know which ideas she would incorporate.

I think that beta readers might sometimes hesitate to be too vocal with their comments, but I was glad to learn that authors most often desire honesty above all else. I know that I expect brutal honesty from my beta reader, and I give that same honesty to the people I read for.

But as far as beta reading goes, there's nothing like dissecting someone else's story to make you more conscious of your own writing style.

9. princess-sari

princess-sari Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2000
    Well...I got hooked on Star Wars in 1999, when I discovered the EU books. After that, I started working on a fanfic (though I didn't know that term at the time), but never got anywhere with it. I figured no one was going to read it and it probably was only semi-legal anyway, so it sort of stalled.

Last fall, I discovered these boards and the "FanFiction" board caught my attention immediately. I started lurking, but when I saw how good the stories were, I couldn't wait to sign up and start commenting! I joined two round-robins, so they were my first real writing experiences here.

Still, I wanted to put my own fic up, but the story ideas I had would all take months to write, and I didn't want to wait. So, I tried to think of some short story ideas, and ended up writing Saché's Diary, then Yané's, Rabé's, Eirtaé's, Sabé's, and Shmi's. :D

I was extremely nervous about putting that first story post up, but everyone is so nice here--and so encouraging--that it ended up being a great experience. Now, I'm hard at work at several longer fics. Hopefully, I'll have at least one of them ready before Episode 3. :p

My recommendation to new writers here: read--a lot--before posting your own story. People are more likely to read something by a writer whose name they recognize, especially if it's someone that has been replying to one of their own stories. Also, writing on a round-robin or two is a big help. You get to know other writers and get used to the idea of posting, so it really helps break the ice. :)

10. Melyanna

Melyanna Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    I started out in the lit board, and someone directed me to a story in the fanfic board. I loved the story I read, and I figured that this was something I could do. I have always loved to write, and I've actually tutored rhetoric, so this was a pretty natural thing for me.

I've been pretty bad about starting a story and then not posting on it for a while. Then I started "Of Pilots and Jedi", which really took off because Jaina/Jag stories are so popular. So now I've finished that one, and I'm working on the second story in my Solo kids trilogy, "Change of Heart", which is about Jacen.

11. Siri_the_Angel

Siri_the_Angel Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 23, 2001
    I started when I was searching for stories with Siri in them. I couldn't find that many, so decided to write some myself. I'd already written some Harry Potter stories.

12. Ginger_Jedi

Jun 4, 2001
    I didn't start off writing Star Wars fan fiction either Siri_the_Angel. I wrote some Final Fantasy stuff but when I started reading Star Wars, I couldn't resist. :)

13. _Cerasi_

_Cerasi_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 23, 2001
    Although I haven't posted any stories here yet, I'm waiting till I'm a little more acquainted with the boards, I started writing fanfic with a TV show called Hey Arnold. Then the Drew Carey show. But I've only posted 2 stories online, both Drew Carey show. I wrote the beginning of a Star Wars fic about a year ago, but never finished. I just wrote a shorter one last week and when I have it edited, I plan to post it. And yes, I wrote fanfic before I'd ever read any. For all three categories I wrote, I'd never read any before I wrote mine.

14. Ginger_Jedi

Jun 4, 2001
    Cool Cerasi! I never wrote fan fiction before I read any because I didn't see the point of writing a story using other people's characters when you wouldn't be able to give it to a wider auidence to read.

Of course, that was before I discovered the boards and fanfiction.net. Now I can't stop posting!

15. Julie

Julie Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 1998
    I began reading fanfic back in 1993 on the old Usenet. (Hey SiriGallia, I love your ASCII text! That was the only type of pictures we had!)

Anyway, I completely lurked because I was 13 and my Dad forbid me from posting. And it was a good thing too, flame wars were a near constant thing and I was very, very aware that there was likely less than 10 other teenagers on those news groups. College students were the main ones who were on the 'Net then, and none of my friends even knew what the internet was! Even those who had a computer in their house thought that the machine was only good for games!

I was very excited when Fanfix was created and when the JC began I joined within a few weeks.

BUT!

I didn't write my first fanfic until last year. [face_blush] Eight years of reading before I even tried, shameful isn't it?

16. Yodafan

Yodafan Jedi Youngling

Aug 13, 2000
    A friend got me reading fanfic, and for a while, I was content to just sit back and read what everyone else was doing. But when I started reading the novels and the books in the Jedi Apprentice series, I started thinking of things I would have done differently, and getting ideas for things I'd like to see done. When the ideas wouldn't leave me alone, I just started writing.

Although... now I write mostly humor. I have NO idea how that happened. lol

-David

17. Ginger_Jedi

Jun 4, 2001
    LOL Julie! Aww...8 years huh? Totally worth the wait I'm sure! :)

yodafan: Humor's good! We all need a laugh sometimes. :D

18. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Well, I started writing fanfiction the day after I saw Star Wars and my first story was a very pathetic post-Endor piece that took up 65 pages. I started writing in earnest when I was in 10th grade, when I'd write stories in the margins of my Greek notes.

I discovered this board in early march because someone referred me to JediGaladriel's The Penitent and it was continued at the boards, so I headed over. 27 days later, I started my first story--The Other Half.

19. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    well, mine's a little rushed compared to other peoples. I still consider myself a baby of the forum since I'm only 15. I started liking in '97 when the SE came out. I had never even seen Star Wars before that, only Return of the Jedi cause I loved the Ewoks. Once I saw it, I was hooked.

Then exactly on April 17-18, 2000, the AOL chat room Phantom Menace opened up. I chated in there for one and a half years. A friend of mine in the chat lurked around the forum and started reading My Dear Padmé. He sent me what bits of it was written around November of 1999, and I was hooked. He then gave me the address to the forum, and the JC has never been rid of me since. :D

I didn't write for about a month, just read. Then I joined a RR simply named I'm starting a JA add on story... by Ty-Gon Jinn. That's what started me off. I began writing in it along with Ty-Gon and several other well known authors in the forum.

Then came my first attempt at fan fic in the early months of 2000, called A Jedi Christman Carol. It was a comedy, but I soon found out my knack for writing was NOT comedy.

In April of 2000, I started writing a fic called Mimicking a Princess. I had a few readers, but soon found I had no plot line. I almost deserted it. I started another fic called The 6th Bodyguard, which was a big success for me. That became my main story, which now has a prequel and 2 sequels.

Back to Mimicking, a wonderful college writer named Maeve Nadia decided to help me write it. The story automatically boosted and became my most successful. Nadia and I are currently working on it's sequel.

I wrote a few other smaller fics and one large What If. But my most memorable had to be a fic I finished a few months ago called Incurable. It was about 4 Jedi apprentices near the end of their training. One finds out he has a cancer that can not be cured no matter what.

Coincidently enough, an 8 year old girl I used to babysit died of Leukemia in March of 2001. Her death inspired the ending of the story, and I used my own pain and grief to describe the character's pain.

okay, I'm not gonna write a really big autobiography. ;) That's pretty much it.

20. Ginger_Jedi

Jun 4, 2001
    Miana, I'm your age and became a fan after I saw the SE too but only recently started writing. Writing is a very good way to release your pent up feelings. I hope you feel better now :)

DarthIshtar: hey, if you got a fic to write, anywhere's good. I got a chapter for one of mine scribbled down in my maths book! :D

21. R2-D2_the_Droid

R2-D2_the_Droid Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 23, 2001
    well, I'm going to start my first one soon. I read other stories, and decided I want to write one. So I am extremly nervous, but now I know that others were nervous too, I guess it is ok to be nervous.

22. ThatJediGirl

ThatJediGirl Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2001
    I feel in love with StarWars after seeing The Phantom Menace May 19, 1999 when I was 12! Me and my three other StarWars buds all love Obi Wan! So, my friend, Jenae and I started a Journal on just how hot he is. We wanted to fill up the whole thing, so she wrote a story at the end, which led up to a whole novel!

So far it has been 10 story days, it's taken over a year and a half to write, and we are on our third journal! Madness... lol

The story takes place at Skywalker ranch and we are all Jedi and are in the movie, and we each get our own guy Jedi.... I get Ewan, hehe ;) and nobody seems to like Yoda and his gimmer stick...

Last summer, my friend Ashley told me about FanFiction.net and I looked around there and found a Star Wars section. I found the awesome story, Prelude to a Kiss, and the sequel, Prelude to a Fall, and read them. The two stories took me three nights to read and every night that I read- I dreamt about what happend in the story, exact words and all!

Well, anyways, I added the well known author of the JC Famfics boards to my AOL budd list. And can you guess who it is? AnakinsAngel!!! I end up talking to her and she tells me of her sequel to PTAF called Anulehka at this other website. Well I found this lovely place called The Jedi Council Fan Fiction boards!

I was so anxious to post a story, that I did, but I completely failed, because it well, sucked. But I am in two Round Robins that seem to be doing pretty okay.

And resulting in all that, I know am on the computer about 4+ hours a day in the summer and weekends, and 2+ hours during the school season. I am reading over 20 fan fics, probably 1/2 of them based on Anakin/Amidala. I know, I'm a sucker when it
    comes to mush... he he ;)

That's my story! :D

[face_love]

23. Alderaan_

Alderaan_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2001
    I was jealous of cannon authors.

24. Ginger_Jedi

Jun 4, 2001
    R2-D2_the_Droid of course it's fine to be nervous! :) No worries, I'm sure your fic is cool!

ThatJediGirl: Gotta love fanfiction.net!! I started there myself under the penname Ginger Ninja

Alderaan: Jealous huh? What stuff have you posted?

25. R2-D2_the_Droid

R2-D2_the_Droid Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 23, 2001
    thanks Ginger_Jedi. One of the reasons I'm nervous is I'm afraid I will run out of ideas for the story line trying to put in Obi-torture, or get away from the story line for the Obi-torture.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.