main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

So, what's your story?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Ginger_Jedi, Aug 26, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThatJediGirl

ThatJediGirl Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2001
    Hmm, I've been around a while and I have no clue what a Cannon story is? Could someone please tell me? ?[face_plain] Thanks ;)

2. Booster-1986

Booster-1986 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 9, 2001
    ThatJediGirl ... as far as I know, a cannon story is one that ends with a really big bang!

Sorry ... couldn't resist <hehe>

Actually, I started writing my fanfic for two reasons. First, I was, and continue to be, very, very unhappy with the way the older characters (a.k.a. adults) have been portrayed in the NJO. Someone suggested the proper title for the series is the Young Jedi Order and I would agree.

Second, I am a professional accountant who has written many articles for my organization's journal. What I needed was a different mind-set from the one needed for professional articles. I have been a fan of SW since 1977 when I took my wife and son to see ANH. He slept through it ... but he was only 2 at the time <g>.

I have read a number of fanfics and I have to say that some of them are darn good. the story line and plot development is quite excellent. I decided to write mine as a way to relax. Yes .. I know it sound weird, but it is so different from writing for a bunch of accountants!!!!

Anyway <shameless plug here>, if anyone likes Talon Kardde and Shada D'ukal, come offer some feedback. I would be most grateful. The story covers the period between the end of VotF and the end of Conquest when Kardde thought Shada had died when the Idiot's Array crashed into the Vong ship.

3. princess-sari

princess-sari Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2000
    I think Alderaan was referring to canon authors, the writers of the official EU novels (or "profics")--Timothy Zahn, Mike Stackpole, A.C. Crispin, etc...

(Actually, I read somewhere recently that the EU isn't technically considered canon, but I'm not an expert on that. :) )

4. ThatJediGirl

ThatJediGirl Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2001
    Thanks you guys ;)

5. Ginger_Jedi

Ginger_Jedi Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    Slept through SW? That's so cute! :)

Thanks for explaining princess-sari, I wasn't too sure myself...

Hey R2-D2_the_Droid, if you run out of ideas I'm ready to supply you with plot bunnies.

And did you say Obi torture? [face_devil] Cool!

6. R2-D2_the_Droid

R2-D2_the_Droid Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 23, 2001
    Thanks Ginger_Jedi

7. Booster-1986

Booster-1986 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 9, 2001
    Well, Ginger_Jedi ... he was only 2 ... mind you know, he has just about every SW video and book ... plus a life-size Darth Vader cardboard figure from a theatre that was used in the 1977 re-release

8. Alderaan_

Alderaan_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2001
    Ginger_Jedi:I haven't posted anything as of now, but soon I'll be finished with my pre-TPM link to the NJO.

ThatJediGirl and princess-sari:
    yes, I meant canon.

9. Fluke_Groundwalker

Fluke_Groundwalker Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 11, 2001
    I had actually hated STAR WARS, and had never seen any of the movies, until 1997. That's when I got hooked.

10. Jedi_Laura_Kenobi

Jedi_Laura_Kenobi Jedi Master star 5

Jul 23, 2001
    My story? I don't really remember how I got into reading fanfiction - probably just stumbled across it. But I do remember reading Star Wars Fanfiction over at FF.N and I was hooked. I didn't try my own fic until much later, after I read Moonscribe's (over at FF.N) "Reflections of Memory". Somehow that story seemed to give me the 'boost' I needed, and a while later I posted "When I Look at You"...

... and went from there! Just think, Ginger, that if I hadn't been reading at FF.N we may have never met and I may have never known of this place! :eek:

:D

11. Ginger_Jedi

Jun 4, 2001
    I know Laura, it's amazing isn't it? :D Destiny perhaps? :p

Fluke I'm glad you saw the light... :)

12. Jedi_Laura_Kenobi

Jul 23, 2001
    Yeah, perhaps it is destiny! :) Whatever it is - I'm glad for it! :D

13. Ginger_Jedi

Jun 4, 2001
    :) Laura and Ginger friends forever! :D

14. Jedi_Laura_Kenobi

Jul 23, 2001
    You said it, my friend! :D

15. Aralna

Aralna Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2000
    At a guess, I first saw SW in 2nd grade. My mom probably regrets showing it to me, cause I'm so obseesed now. ;)

I did a little fanfic before the fateful day of January 26th, when I stumbled across Sara Kenobi's website looking for ideas for my own site. I started reading her stories, and was hooked. I went to register, but was stopped by a faint memory of having registered already. Searching my email, I found my username and password from 3 months previous. I'd registered, but never posted, and fogot about the JC. Anyway, after my first post, I didn't stop coming. I came close to hitting 100 posts before a month had passed, and that was all replies, and round-robin posts. :) I did post one story, but looking back, it wasn't really that good, and I realized that as I ended it. If I ever write another story, it's going to have more work put into it ahead of time.

I don't know if I'd have survived school last year without the JC to look forward to when I got home. :D

16. Ginger_Jedi

Jun 4, 2001
    Aralna, I know what you mean! The JC is a great place to relax after school! :)

Thanks for telling your story! :D

17. Aralna

Aralna Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2000
    Yeah, it is. Especially now that I started High School. Which is good and bad...

18. Ginger_Jedi

Jun 4, 2001
    I think in a way writing is a great way to release pent up feelings. If you are feeling a certain emotion such as sadness, you can write some pretty powerful stuff.

A stress release :)

Good luck with high school! :D

19. Jenn-Kenobi

Jenn-Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 3, 2001
    I will keep this as short as I can. For Star Wars, I remember seeing bits of the movies when I was growing up. My dad loves the old ones. Anyway, I heard about TPM so I watched all three of the old ones. Each one got better then the one before it. So I watched TPM on video when it came out with a friend. I had to watch it a few times to really let it sink in. But it is now my fave of all the movies. Maybe it as to do with how cute Obi-Wan is as a young man... :D

As for fanfiction, I started with the TV show ER and write a songfic on it and one longer story which never got done. I started reading SW thanks to fanfiction.net and Cassia's stories. She had me hooked. So I read the JA books about a year after reading fanfiction on JA. I wrote a story called Saber, which never got done. It is about Luke getting Qui's lightsaber. But my real love is JA so with all the stories I had read I wanted to do that. Most of my ideas come based on songs I have heard or from ideas that I get based on stories I heard from others. So that is where my two here came from. I am still have many more I hope to write.

Jenn, who is going to go before this post turns into a story.

20. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    Ah, let's see, when did I start writing...

It was right after I took my brother to see EI. He loved it so much I decided to write a story for him. Unfortunatly I got about five pages of that done, then lost intrest. Later I was surfing on the internet and started to find out what fanfiction was. At first I was completely confused, then after sitting down and getting hooked on all kinds of fics I decided I should try and write a few. Sad to say I don't think I have finished even one yet (that doesn't include the script I wrote for JW), even though I probably have over fifty started! But this writing has done one thing for me, I am proud to say I got a perfect score on the English section of my ACT test. :D

21. Jedi_Laura_Kenobi

Jul 23, 2001
    This needs UPPING, I think... :p

Congrats on your English score, Jedi Girl of Corellia!!!! :) Way to go! :D

Jenn-Kenobi: "Maybe it as to do with how cute Obi-Wan is as a young man..." :) [face_love] I agree 1111000%! :p :D ;)

Aralna: Good luck with high school! It's really (*cough*Exceptthehomework*cough*) really not so bad! :)

:D

22. FELICIA_ZEZILI

FELICIA_ZEZILI Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 5, 2001
    The first fanfic I ever wrote was a Zelda story. I wouldn't let anyone read it cause I thougt people would think I was a dork for writing it.

I finally did let someone read one and that sort of gave me the encourage ment to write more but I was still kinda nerves to let people read my work.

My first Star Wars fanfic was Trials which I rewrote like four times and am still working on. It was also the first really series story I posted on line. I was so nerves when I got the reviews cause I was sure I would get flamed but to my pleasent surprise that didn't happen except for this one person who said I contridicted myself.

Well thats pretty much it.

23. Knight_Obi

Knight_Obi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 24, 2001
    First off, I really should be asleep in bed now considering I'd have to wake in about 5 hours for school but since I found this thread in Ginger's profile, I might as well just put in my own little story.

I actually haven't read any fanfics SW or not until this summer!! Quite sad eh? Well, I was completely bored and my friend recommended me to go to some site I forget which it was, but then I started reading this small Hurt/Comfort fic that had Obi in it. It was short and I really should remember who wrote it, but I don't...hehe...I have a bad memory sometimes!!! Anyways, after reading that one story, I was HOOKED!!!

Then, for the period of several weeks to a month, I continued searching for sites with fics to read and stumbled across "The Early Years Archive". THough that site hasn't been updated in the longest while, I found some very interesting fics there and read each and everyone of them...esp the obi torture/angst one of course :)

It was really afer reading Knight Obi-Wan's "The Lost Children" or what she posted...:) that I actually got to thinking of writing one myself. Plot bunnies popped into my head and the first one was for "Redemption" inspired by Avalon's "Cast My Soul to the Sea" --I loved that.

And well, I got a plot bunny but I didn't start on it right away cuz I wasn't sure if I could pull it off..then I read lots of Cassia's stories and really got inspired to sit down and write something and I did. I wrote my fic "REdemption" but then stopped cuz I had a simple plot bunny to write and started writing "Hallucinations".

Well, like SiriGallia had said before--"it snowballed from there". What started out as a simple short hurt comfort Obi fic with a little emotional torture thrown in has evolved into a long trilogy of which "Tabula Rasa" is the second part and I am still working on "Journey of the Soul" --being the Third part. Hehe...I will get it done eventually and of course I would need to go back to finish "Redemption"

Well, that was a long and winded autobio of how I got into this business of writing fics. Hope that didn't bore anyone out of thier "wit's end" :)

Knight_Obi

24. Arabwel

Arabwel Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 20, 2001
    My first try at fan fiction was when I had read HttE. It was crappy, and in FInnish. (I was eleven...) I didn't know it was called fanfic, or that is so popular...

It begun in school, when we had to draw the cover of a book. I drew a SW one. Then, we were supposed to write the book. And so my story of how the rebels found Hoth began...
    Then, after I created my own SW character a few years later, and started to scrabble something on her perspective.. wanted to be a SW author even then....

Then, in 1999, I found fan fiction. I found the vastness of EU in March, and in December I stumbled on fic. And I was sold. It was so cool... In a few months, i became slash friendly, and since then it's been history...

My first fic scrabbles I sent to the Sith_Chicks mailing list, engouraged the fact that everyone was so kind... I still somewhat sucked, but... :)

I had a long break without fic when I spent about 5 months in a hospital, and after that I concentrated on other fandoms foe a while. Wrote some goos slash stuff while at it.
    Now, a few weeks ago, i found my way back to the Wonderful World of Star Wars fan fic. I'm here to stay. I have an interesting VWV story in the works at the moment... (Vong? What Vong?) featuring some plot twists that most people will consider sick.. But who cares?

Ara
    (Fictioner, Sith_Chick, WEB member and a DSFU-wannabe)

25. Ginger_Jedi

Jun 4, 2001
    LOL Ara! I've had some pretty sick twists in my time :D

Knight_Obi: I only started reading Star Wars fan fiction in January!! :eek: I've been reading other kinds of fan fiction for just over a year though. Go get some sleep!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.