main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

So, what's your story?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Ginger_Jedi, Aug 26, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daughter_Of_TheForce

Daughter_Of_TheForce Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2001
    I started writing when I was about 8, when I discovered reruns of the original Star Trek on TV in the mid-70's. Then SW came along, and I wanted to write science fiction. If you want to be technical about it, I started writing fan fiction when I was 9 or 10. Then I forgot about it and began working on my own worlds.

I started writing with the intent to publish after I graduated from college, but stories I created from the sci-fi shows I watch stayed with me. I never wrote them down, though.

Then TPM came along. Qui-Gon Jinn touched a deep chord within me and moved me to create a character to interact with him. She had almost all the Mary Sue characteristics, but soon she became a deeper, more profound character. (I talked about her a little in this thread.) I spent the entire summer turning out material based on her. I became so guilty about it that I actually wrote an apology letter to GL! (Never sent it! :D) When that creative urge ran its course, I lamented that no one would ever read about her.

Well, that will change soon, hopefully. She'll be introduced in my next story after "What Remains Unspoken" is finished.

2. Ginger_Jedi

Ginger_Jedi Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    Up! :)

It's been a while since we got authors telling their stories. Anyone else? :D

3. JediClare

JediClare Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 8, 2001
    Me? Well...

I'm Clare, and I don't understand why people like to spell it with an 'i', as in 'Claire'.

Looks like I'm one of the youngest...I'm 14 in March this year.

Around 1998 or 1999, I saw lots of Star Trek novels in libraries and I borrowed a few curious as to why they were so popular. Then after that, I borrowed the Star Wars OT laserdiscs, just to see what they were like - whether they were like Star Trek or not. After I watched the entire OT, I almost completely dropped Star Trek, only borrowing one or two novels every few weeks. Now I don't borrow Star Trek anymore unless I am desperate for something to read. I started looking for Star Wars, Star Wars and Star Wars.

Then The Phantom Menace was released. Needless to say, I went to watch it, and I loved it. I wasn't very happy when Qui-Gon died.

I only started writing fan fiction last year. I wrote a pretty bad story on Microsoft Word, and deleted it 'cause it wasn't going anywhere. I stumbled onto TF.N and found the fanfic archive. I was always impatient for them to update the archive.

I found the JCF in July 2001, and signed up under the username 'animorphjedi'. Posted two messages and forgot about it. I found the fanfic boards, but I took one look at the columns of titles and the numbers of posts for each and was frightened away. :D Returned in October 2001, found the patience to start reading, and I have loved fanfic ever since.

Used to the non-caps, 'short-form' and bad English of email between my friends and I, my first few reply posts were horrendous. One of my earlier posts (and about a month after I'd been on the boards) went like this:

i'm kinda new here so i haven't seen the fics u pple r talking about...could u post the links?

*Turns red* [face_blush] [face_blush] [face_blush]

Pretty bad... [face_blush] Eventually I learned not to do that. Good thing, otherwise u'd b seein mi typin out my posts in dis manner.

:D :p ;)

In the beginning when I first started posting 'story posts', I didn't separate paragraphs, so they were a whole block of words and a strain on the eyes to read. I learned not to do that either.

The first story post I ever posted was on a sort of round-robin: Padawan Rescue Team started by Neon Star.

Went on to What if you woke up and could use the force. started by I love Sci Fi.

Then started on my first individual fanfic: Betrayals, Conflicts and Love (JA). I couldn't think of a title, and it was originally named 'A Title-less JA Story'. Dumb, I know. [face_blush] Jacinta Kenobi gave me a suggestion of 'Betrayals' (thanks! :)) and I added the other words.

Neon Star asked for a co-writer, so I volunteered, and am co-writing What Time Only Knows.

Did a fanfic titled The Biggest Secret Ever for homework, so I decided to post it.

Sometime in the middle of November, I created a little 'sign-off name'. I tried out a few colour combinations, and settled on orange words with navy highlighting (see below). I think some people might find the colour combination horrible - I used to, a couple of years back - but I like it now, so there. ;) :p

My spelling is pretty okay, except for the occasional typos. Grammar and vocabulary are something else. Sometimes I need to kept reading and re-reading a single sentence because I'm not sure whether the grammar is correct. Vocabulary isn't really my strength either, I think I might have used wrong words in a few places.

Unlike many people here, I seldom get bitten by plot bunnies. If I do, they're mostly gentle, non-rabid ones. ;) Can't decide whether it's a good thing or not.

Yeah. That's about it.

= Clare =

4. Ginger_Jedi

Jun 4, 2001
    I wasn't very happy when Qui-Gon died.

Me neither :_|

Thanks for sharing Clare :D Keep on writing :D

5. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    I came back in July of 2000 after a year break from TF.n and the JC and after reading a little NJO and parousing the fanfic, I decided there was a lack of representation for the latest series of stories. So I started writing Eyes of the Empire, detailing the Imperial side of the NJO in as realistic a way as possible. I have struggled to keep continuity yet still write a story that is different from what is out there.

Winter 2000 saw my first and only collaboration (with Kier_Nimmion) which ended when he moved from Canada to the US and his computer files were damaged in the move. The story is still around in part, A Tale of the Jedi: KNight's Dawn and it details the story of the first Jedi Knight, not first Jedi, but the first warrior-jedi.

This past spring I started A Common Crime which I'll be ending this spring. Check it out; it's on page 1 in fanfic right now.

Basically, I started writing to fill niches that weren't being attended to (Imperial NJO, ancient Jedi history, police drama on Coruscant) and I am glad to say that the police drama genre has increased thanks to my good friend Rogue1-and-a-half.

6. jadesaber2

jadesaber2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 17, 2000
    When did I start writing fanfiction? Let's start at the beginning... First, a small warning. The following will be long and boring. Get a pillow and a blanket before reading on.

The first time I saw Star Wars, or a short glimpse of Star Wars, was waaaaaaaaaay back in the late 80's. I was with my brother at his friend's house, and I saw Han giving Lando the Falcon in ROTJ. I walked out of the room to get something to drink, and soon found something else to occupy me. When I went back to the room, I was just in time to catch the end of the Battle of Endor. I didn't think much of it at the time. It looked cool, but I was young, and jets took up a greater portion of my feeble brain at the time.

The next time I was exposed to SW, I was walking around a store (Costco, I think) with my parents, bored out of my mind ("Don't touch this! Don't touch that! Don't touch anything!") So I naturally found myself in front of a TV. What did I see? The destruction of Alderaan. Wow, I thought. I want to see the rest of that movie! I was still young. By now, anything with explosions in it was enough to fascinate me. I saw no more of SW until a few years later...

I was dragged along to a "family friend's" house. Basically, my parent's friends. They had no children. It was boring. So I started wandering around the house, and I came upon a rather large collection of movies. I saw the words Star Wars. Five minutes later, my dad had bought all three OT movies for me. I was happy. I went home and proceeded to invest (time is not wasted on such a marvelous thing as Star Wars) six hours of my life into watching the movies, one after the other. It was good.

Mind you, now, this was all before we had a computer capable of doing anything more than simple math. So I couldn't share my newfound love for Star Wars with anyone. So I did what anyone else would do (well, maybe not anyone else). I retreated into the wonderful world of Lego. Yes, with this wonderful building tool, I could create my own Millenium Falcon, or two X Wings! At least until my brother came home from school ant yelled at me for playing with his Lego.

Anyway... Fast forward two years. I'd just about worn the tapes out. I went shopping with my parents ("Don't touch this! Don't touch that! Don't touch anything!"), and found myself in a bookstore. There, on the New Arrivals table, was Dark Force Rising. They had to drag me out of the store an hour later. I think I got through half the book in that time. My brother kept saying that it wasn't really Star Wars, because Star Wars ended with the movies. Well, MEH to you!

I managed to bug my mother until we went to the library the next day. I got my very first public library card an proceeded to check out ever SW book I could find. I was happy for the next two weeks.

Fast forward another three years. I had read most of the SW books out there. We had Internet access, and even managed a whopping fast (heh!) 14400bps connection. I was surfing around, looking for anything and everything Star Wars, and stumbled across a site called (I think) FanFix.com. Woohoo! Star Wars stories! Written by ordinary people!

Then I discovered TF.N's forums, where I spent most of my time in the Lit forum. One day, while perusing someone's recent posts, I found a link to the Fan Fiction forum. Hmmm, I thought. More SW stories? I'm there!

Unfortunately, I was not there. But the next day, I was invited to take part in writing a RR! Me, writing a fanfic! I was just a bit excited. So I went and started writing. But the fic died after about three months, and I moved on to other things.

Several months ago, I was reintroduced to the wonderful world of fanfc. Star by Star had just come out, and everyone was sad, angry, depressed, etc. about someone's (let's call him Jimmy :p )death. Apparently, someone decided to write out an alternate story. Somehow, by some stroke of luck, I found that story. It was called The Path Less Trodden, and

7. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    Sorry, this is a bit off topic, but I've seen peopel referring to being Betas. I very rarely post on the fanfic boards, and was wondering--what is a Beta?

8. RebelOutlaw_Ace

RebelOutlaw_Ace Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 9, 2001
    A beta is a person who proof-reads your story.

Personally, I first started writing fanfics the day that I signed up to post on the forums. I somehow meandered onto the TF.N Discussion Forums, and I couldn't believe it when I found a whole page dedicated to Fan Fiction!

My first post and the start of my first story I whipped up awful quick, and I was more than surprised when I finally got a reader.

However, I'll probably not rush so quickly into my next story, as I'm writing up at least fifteen chapters before I'm making the first post.

-Reb

9. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    I've written a few stories, but none of them were hits, and only one was completed. I'm pretty much out of original ideas right now.

10. Jacinta_Kenobi

Jacinta_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 23, 2001
    I started writing fan fiction not even knowing what the term was about when Episode 1 came out.

Only about 1 year ago did I discover you could have people read it.

But I never was able to get it up anywhere no matter what I did. I began to despair, thinking I was not good enough.

Then I found this place, and very slowly stretched a toe into the water. I started a fic, and the feedback made my ego soar, so I continued. Since then I have been archived in two different places, and, well, let's just say my opinion of my writing has greatly risen!

:D

11. TheFallen

TheFallen Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    What's your story! Go!

Believe it or not, I didn't start reading FanFic in this fandom! Collective gasp from the crowd! I actually found out about this unknown phenomina of 'fan fiction' in a chat room on Yahoo. It was the X-Files chat room to be precise. And so here, starts the legacy. Someone mentioned someone else's site, and I questioned them : Pray tell! What is this mystical realm you speak of, this fan fiction! The words were foriegn to my sheltered ears! After a year of reading solely X-File Fic (I naively thought for some reasont his was the ONLY fandom, but hey, back then I didn't even know what a fandom WAS).
    Soon, I formulated a wonderful idea! If there is fanfiction for X-Files... then... do I say?... Yes! There must be more stories in other genres!
    I must admit, Star Wars was one of the fandoms I buzzed past one the fanfiction.net board thinking "Yeesh... who'd ever write that?" That's what I said about a lot of the fandoms I read now, though...
    Since I have firmly rammed by foot down my throat.
    There's my story, and you can quote me!

12. Ginger_Jedi

Jun 4, 2001
    Thanks for sharing :) No worries Jadesaber, I found your story rather interesting :) (sits on pillow) :p

TheFallen I didn't start out with Star Wars fan fiction either. Let's see, I read/write Final Fantasy VII and IX, Digimon, Batman Beyond and Resident Evil... Phew! You would not BELIEVE the size of my workload! [face_laugh]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.