main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TV Discussion So when do you think Disney will get into the Old Republic era

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by darkchrono, Dec 20, 2014.

1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Well who knows how long that the OT Big 3 will still be around? One last hurrah.

Hamawald and TheSilentInfluence like this.
  2. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Well, the actors were great in the original trilogy, at this point it seems painfully obvious that they're trying to milk the cow dry. This was also true of some of the more recent EU books, where instead of developing new characters they'd just continue using the Big Three so they could slap Luke, Leia and Han on the covers because maybe that ws the only way they could get sales...

KINGKONG83 likes this.
  3. ScorpionJedi

ScorpionJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 19, 2013
    In parallel to the movies, they should do a television show in live action or a new rebooted KOTOR game with Revan and the rest of the crew of the Ebon Hawk with newer graphics. If all of you look around for past posts of mine, you can probably look for ideas I've had with TV shows. However knowing Disney they might stick it on ABC with the likes of Once Upon A Time and Agents of Shield. As much as I like those shows the green screen effects is so painfully obvious. They should seek a partnership with the likes of HBO.

4. KINGKONG83

KINGKONG83 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 22, 2004
    the cold cynic truth...hurts doesn't it?

5. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I see a few different projects (such as a Ben Kenobi standalone starring Ewan McGregor, a live-action SW television series) as absolute 'no-brainers' for Lucasfilm, and to me, the Old Republic as an era to be explored is included in any such list as an obvious choice moving forward.

I absolutely envision the next film trilogy after the run of current films slated for production (three ST films, three standalones) to be a canon take on the Old Republic story.

When? Well, let's see: When do the next six films drop by? 2020-ish?

That wouldn't shock me one bit.

In fact, the only thing that I think might keep us from learning of an Old Republic trilogy somewhere in the next six years, or so, would be if we learn of an Old Republic live-action televised series before that time.

6. Darth Zannah

Darth Zannah Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 28, 2014
    Thank you. Disney is losing a lot of points with me...they are coming across as a bunch of dimwits.. I just came from a post in the literature thread arguing over whether the Clone Wars micro series is canon and the majority says that no, Disney doesn't say it's canon..DESPITE THE FACT THAT LUCAS IS ON THE DVD DOCUMENTARIES LEGITIMIZING IT AND HOW IT FITS IN WITH THE PREQUEL TRILOGY! Disney and the stupid mouse with the big ears can take a hike...the micro series is canon...and as far as the Old Republic goes if they are making new stuff than it is legitimizing the stuff prior to it..Disney has no idea what they are doing...it's like in the novel Tarkin which is canon...but references events in the novel Dark Lord, which isn't suppose to be canon...well if it's referencing Dark Lord then your making it canon, stupid Disney!

ScorpionJedi likes this.
  7. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Again, you trust Lucas? If Tarkin mentioned Roan Shryne or whoever the Jedi was in Dark Lord then you might have a case. As far as we know it is some random Jedi. It could be anyone. Some adventure happened on Murkhana but nothing is known. And you really think that Disney is going to adapt TOTJ? Not likely. KOTOR perhaps but not TOTJ. You want the Micro-series in your head canon so be it but TPTB don't. Ventress, Grievous and other aspects from the series are canon. The adventures might have happened or might not have happened.

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I thought Luceno bringing in aspects of his previous "Legends" novels into Tarkin was a brilliant move, as those aspects now are legitimized as canon.

TheSilentInfluence likes this.
  9. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    I actually think having Luceno and other authors writing stuff for the new EU feels a bit irritating for me. It'll be like having the same old familiar style...EXCEPT IT'S NOT THE SAME.

10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Tarkin read like a Legends book to me; I had to remind myself that it was new.

So far it looks like the NEU is going to be a mixed bag just like the old. A New Dawn was fantastic, Tarkin was good, I have no interest in Heir to the Jedi and even less in that book likely to feature NewSoftTress tailing Vos.

I have pre-ordered Lords of the Sith; it's a wait and see.

11. Darth Zannah

Oct 28, 2014
    Yes I trust Lucas...he's the mastermind behind the whole saga whether you like it or not

12. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Even with all of his wishy-washiness? Adventures of Luke Skywalker to Tragedy of Anakin Skywalker to whatever the saga is now. 3 or 4 trilogies to 2 trilogies with no plans for a 3rd and then a 3rd trilogy is in the works. All of the changes over the years under the banner "This is my vision of the saga" Sorry, not buying it.

13. Darth Zannah

Oct 28, 2014
    Your argument is based on your subjective opinion in regards to his art...that's why you reject the simple fact that he is the author of all this "canon prior to Disney..." even the upcoming ST...but nevertheless the fact remains...all movies say Story by Lucas and all the stories in the show TCW go through him first...so if Lucas says it's canon than for me it is canon and Disney are a bunch of imbeciles

14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Lucas created Star Wars but Force Smuggler is right. The man changed his "vision" more often than he changed his flannel shirt.

Or as I always say now in reference to Lucas' "vision"--which one?

15. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Didn't Lucas sell Star Wars to Disney? Wouldn't that put them in charge of the story now? And not Lucas?
    If the micro-series was canon why do another series? Seems pointless imo.
    Lucas can do what he likes but fans don't have to like it.

16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Which is the larger point in all these arguments.

Lucas had the right to do whatever the hell he wanted, whenever the hell he wanted, with the characters and settings he created. He even had the right to change what he created and say that he always intended the changes to be there.

He is not, however, above criticism from fans, who have the right to dislike anything he decided to do.

Force Smuggler and jabberwalkie like this.
  17. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    This, so much this.

18. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    There's certain things that I agree with George Lucas on...such as the issue of whether Mace really defeated Palpatine. But more often than not I find myself complaining about things that Lucas says or does, so that kinda deprives me of the "because Lucas says so" argument on the things that I do agree with him on.

19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    My reaction to "because Lucas said so" is usually, "Oh. Cool. Thanks for sharing.

...oh, wait. Was that supposed to be some indication that my opinion is wrong? LOL."

Force Smuggler and jabberwalkie like this.
  20. ScorpionJedi

ScorpionJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 19, 2013
    It still wasn't much though.

21. Darth Zannah

Oct 28, 2014
    Why do another series? c'mon now be logical...one is a micro series, 2-10 minute episodes...the other is a legitimate 30minute show pushing 100 plus episodes...in addition the micro series was intended to be a rush job to be released before rots...it was almost like a preface of what was to come in TCW show...so your logic that it was pointless seems without merit..and you totally ignored my point that the events of the show occur during that montage in volume 2 of the micro series just to give the implication that your comment has some validity to it...but whatever...like I stated in the other thread I said my piece and I'm done with this...happy new year everyone...

22. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    Any of Lucas' visions are more legit than the nightmare that Disneywars is turning out to be.

Within the first year after acquiring the franchise:

• TCW Cancelled. Nuff said on that.
    • 1313 Cancelled forever. Too mature for Disneh. Much like how Marvel used to produce R-rated flicks like Punisher and the Blade series, but now Disney owns Marvel and won't let them produce R movies.
    • Lucasarts shut down and all staff fired. All games in development halted. Development of new games given to EA. *See below for more on this.
    • The EU unceremoniously thrown out, lock stock and barrel, despite being around for more than 3 decades and beloved to millions of SW fans. I guess that continuity just wasn't good enough for Disney.
    • Rebels... I'm trying to like it but so far it's a pretty poor bearer of the Animated Star Wars torch, when compared to TCW. The excitement isn't really there. It's staid and pedestrian.
    Disney's handling of SW so far just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

*These guys now make all SW games:

ScorpionJedi likes this.
  23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    My take on all that: agree and disagree.

TCW cancelled: it was time. I only wish we had gotten the Utapau arc and Anakin knocking out Clovis in season 5.

1313 cancelled: don't know enough to comment.

LucasArts shut down: sucks bantha *****.

EU: As I said, Legends is a mixed bag, and with Allston gone and most of the post-NJO being terrible, it might have been time to start over, although I do get why people are upset about having their favorite characters delegitimized. As far as Lucas though, I think one of the problems later EU stories had was the character shield around Luke, Leia and Han, a character shield imposed by Lucas. That said, I was concerned initially that Disney would not have any adult novels in the Star Wars universe, so I was thrilled to get my hands on A New Dawn.

Rebels: I like it much better than later TCW. But it's early and I loved early TCW so we'll see.

TheSilentInfluence likes this.
  24. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    They brought Maul back. Scraping the bottom of the barrel much?

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    On Lucas' directive.

Force Smuggler likes this.