main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

So...where are the movie license games for Episode 7?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by DebonaireNerd, Apr 22, 2015.

1. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Does nobody find it strange that by now a slew of Force Awakens games hasn't been announced? Remember in the lead-up to The Phantom Menace we had about 3 or 4 titles announced to coincide with the film's release? I know the upcoming Battlefront game is set between ROTJ and the upcoming film, but is Battlefront it for 2015?

Yes, movie license games are usually terrible unless they're named Blade Runner, Godfather or Riddick.

I'm guessing the marketing for now is going to be in action figures?

-Jedi Joe- likes this.
  2. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    I suspect they will be gauging public interest first.

3. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Don't they already have evidence of public interest with the way the latest trailer broke YouTube?

4. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Right. Let me elaborate. My suspicion is that they will wait until the premiere to see how big of a pop culture phenomenon it becomes, and then adjust the number of concurrent annual releases accordingly.

-Jedi Joe- likes this.
  5. Jabba the Pizza

Jabba the Pizza Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 16, 2015
    Slowly, over the decades star wars fans began to pile up. A little were excited about the release of a new hope. A LOT of people were excited about the phantom menace. When TFA was announced the whole world was THUNDERSTRUCK!!! Soo, maybe games will be announced a bit later. BF3 is set in the OT and ST and so one game. Now we will have to wait until we get 10 games announced after the premiere :)

-Jedi Joe- likes this.
  6. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I think they're going for quality over quantity with their big game releases. Visceral is probably going to be debuting their Star Wars game at E3 in a couple of months, and we have no idea what it is or when it's set so it could have some ties with the ST. I doubt they'll have it out before TFA, they won't want to draw attention away from Battlefront, but I don't think it'd be surprising if it were out by March 2016.

7. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    I believe when Lucasarts was dissolved and EA got the contract they announced they would not be doing movie tie-in games.

Ichor_Razor and -Jedi Joe- like this.
  8. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Plus, let's be honest - since about 2000, Star Wars games have been awful. The only exceptions are the BioWare titles.

Darth-Lando and TryWhistlingThis like this.
  9. -Jedi Joe-

-Jedi Joe- Jedi Master star 2

May 6, 2013
    Just wait for "LEGO Star Wars: The Trilogy of Trilogies" to come out in 2019.

10. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012

Which I why I was glad they stopped making Indiana Jones games. They haven't made a decent one since Fate of Atlantis. I kind of liked Jedi Knight 2 but its predecessor was far more intelligent.

11. sharkymcshark

sharkymcshark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2013

Rogue Leader shouts hello very loudly.

Jedi Knight II and Rogue Squadron 3 are sort of hanging around the back of the room too meek to do anything more than half wave, grunt a greeting, and apologise quietly for being worse than their forebears, but would also like you to acknowledge their existence.

12. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    **** Jedi Outcast.

13. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    Jedi Outcast is a great game, as is its sequel, Jedi Academy.

14. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Incorrect.

The beauty of playing Dark Forces was this tough, resourceful mercenary Kyle's journey to defeat the Dark Trooper project. At the end, Vader notes the Force is strong with Kyle.

In Dark Forces II, Kyle must confront that destiny and his legacy, and learn the ways of the Force. Should you stray down the dark path, it will corrupt you, and you will kill Jan - you copilot and closest ally. In other words, the story follows the classic themes of Star Wars, of the evil ofthe Dark Side, of its temptation, and of triumph over it.

Jedi Outcast turns out, probably drunk because it wet its pants, and has a stupid story about two paper thin 'villains' who steal the force through a stick. Light and dark powers are used without consequence. You aren't responsible for your actions, so despite Yoda's clear warnings about the starting on the dark path little gen y'ers could use force choke and lightning and still be a "goody". It looked flash, but the story and removal of the consequence management system were totally absent. As a game, and Star Wars experience, it was wanting.

15. -Jedi Joe-

-Jedi Joe- Jedi Master star 2

May 6, 2013
    Jedi Academy wasn't necessarily a good game on it's own, but it had a great online community.

16. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    The market has changed I think, video game tie-ins aren't as common these days. Unless you have a smartphone for "games".

17. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    EA has said there won't be any tie in games for the films. We'll see characters from the new films in games like Battlefront, but there won't be a game like Revenge of the Sith for the new films. I find it unfortunate. We need more SW games on consoles and PC.

18. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    I find it quite sensible.