main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:VIC So, where's a good place to upgrade a computer in Melbourne?

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by hawk, Jan 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    I have a Pent III (650) and 128 RAM. I have never actually upgraded a computer before. How much does it cost and where is a good place to do this?

2. lordvaderFF

lordvaderFF Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    I've found TECS in Latrobe street to be very good.

The guys know their stuff and can also speak normal person talk. :)

Don't know costs....I bought an entire system, not an upgrade.

3. SithLord-Mixo

SithLord-Mixo Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 21, 2002
    No way guys. I am from the country and we all here travel down to Melbourne and visit MSY in Malvern. Excellent prices and service!

I mean "EXCELLENT" prices!!!

Check their website

MSY COMPUTERS

4. voyager

voyager Jedi Youngling

Jan 23, 2003
    I always go to New Computers - http://www.newcomputers.com.au - in Oakleigh. Prices are good, products haven't ever (touch wood) been faulty, and they actually honour thier warranties.

5. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    The same as MSY. One year shop warranty and then any extra provided by the company. Always have huge stocks and are very cheap.

We country boys love them!!!!!

6. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    I always go to CPL, near Monash Uni in Clayton. Great prices, good staff. If you need help building up your comp, I'm not too sure how they are, but they're the suppliers of choice for myself and plenty of people I know who upgrade their computers themselves.

7. Jedi_Master_Damir

Jedi_Master_Damir Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    Well, if you or a friend know about computers and how to do such things, I would suggest going to a Swap Meet (found in different places every week) and buy the parts for the upgrade since it will be the cheapest there. If not, then definately go to one of the places mentioned above and get it done by a profesional.

8. Jedi_Jess

Jedi_Jess Jedi Youngling star 1

May 21, 2002
    IT Warehouse are also pretty good.
    they have shops in:

* Bendigo
    * Box Hill
    * Clayton
    * Dandenong
    * North Melbourne
    * Preston

9. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    MSY I tell you!!!!

10. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    Thanks all.

This may sound stupid but can you just upgrade your pentium chip without upgrading the whole motherboard? I know you can add ram.

Now for a really dumb question. What is the best way to find out all your computer's specs? I have had this for 2 years and don't often check what kind of graphics card, speed and memory I have. All I really know is I have a pentium 3 (650) with 128 RAM.

11. voyager

voyager Jedi Youngling

Jan 23, 2003
    Sometimes you can just change your CPU but generally only if you want to go from say, a celeron to a pentium, or a few notches up the MHz (or Ghz) scale. But this, as you quite correctly say, is limited to your motherboard. Certainly you can't whack a P-4 on a P-3 board (although I'm sure there is some mutant ShonkyBros board out there to prove me wrong here...).

As for finding out your system specs, here are a couple ways to do it:

1. CPU & RAM : right-click My Computer and choose Properties. It tells you on this screen your RAM and CPU type/speed (the latter reading is better with newer OS's like Win2K and XP - 98 spits out techincal stuff for the newer CPUs).

2. Watch your computer monitor during boot up - it states your CPU type, speed and RAM size there, as well as hard-disk size.

3. Right-click the desktop and choose Properties. Select the SETTINGS tab and it will display the name of your video card.

4. Same as step 1, but then choose Devices (Win95/98/ME) or Hardware -> Device Manager (2K/XP). Down here you can find out LOTS of great information, such as video and sound card details, etc. Good idea NOT to touch anything, just use the + and - marks to view listings.

5. Rip the case off and read whats written on the expansion cards. Sometimes its a painful task to find the right stuff, but most modern hardware is pretty well labelled.

If you're still not sure, drop me a line and I'll give you some more detailed notes on checking into this stuff.

Cheers!

12. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    In reality if you are going to have a big jump in your CPU (remember that you will have to at least double it to notice any chnages), then it is advised to also (most likely have to) get another motherboard. With prices as cheap as they are at the moment a package will not set you back much.

13. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    Thanks guys, especially voyager. :)

So I guess I'll have to upgrade my motherboard. Darn it!

14. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    Hey where i smy thanks?

Yeah Hawk, with components being so cheap now you may as well upgrade as much as you can ie. CPU,Motherboard, RAM and v/card.

15. voyager

voyager Jedi Youngling

Jan 23, 2003
    welcome, always !

Its funny - someone asking about upgrades exactly at the time I'm getting tempted by visions of dual Palominos and large amounts of RAM....

16. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    You can never have too much RAM!! Price rises and lowers a lot though at times. Although. only if you system can handle it.

17. The-Lute

The-Lute Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 29, 2002
  18. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    Exactly we at Sick Individual Productions! recommend and use MSY Technologies

19. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    Sorry Sith-Lord. It's funny, I was in a hurry and I was going to say thanks and I felt bad afterwards.

But I rang MSY and they weren't much help. The guy hardly spoke English and I need some serious dumbing down. He just told me to look on the NET but I have never bought an upgrade before and I don't know what a good motherboard is and what CPU works with what and how much RAM, cooling unit etc. I'm lost. Plus my mate reckons it will cost me well over a grand and I simply can't spend that much. :(

20. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    A grand! No way! Processors now are very cheap. If you are a gamer go an Athlon, very cheap, reliable and fast. Gforce 4 v/card. At least 256mg DDR ram, Motherboard with a built in soundcard & network card. Easily under a grand for an up to date and fast machine. If you want pm either Lute or myself and we will look at an MSY price list and give you an indication of what we would prefer.

Yes they do speak little english at times :p

21. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    Thanks SithLord-Mixo, that would be good. I just wish I knew more about computers. :mad:

22. The-Lute

The-Lute Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 29, 2002
    If you ever deal with MSY, ask to speak to Lee. She's the easiest to understand.

But they do expect you to know what you want, I guess that's the price you pay instead of the big bucks.

23. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    Yeah Lute. PCs are actually really basic. Not much to them, easy to build and understand!
    Lute and i will look at a price list and work out a basic system

24. fatboyslim

fatboyslim Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 1, 2003
    Well hawk if you have any trouble with MYS try a group called MIS i have had many an upgrade done by them and find them to be extremly reliable a reasonably priced. Most things they do will come with a 2 year warranty, however this depends on the manufactuer warranty aswell.

Mixo and Lute seem to know what they are on about more than myself, so try them first.

Always remember though once you have your specs down pat, shop around abit many a computer place vary in price depending on their relationship with the supplier.

Good luck.

25. Protege-of-Thrawn

Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 14, 2001
    Your concerned with 128mb of RAM? :eek:

This baby is running off 32mb...and she still purrs like she did 4 years ago!

Hears a sick sounding 'clunk' as screen darkens. Smash's screen hard, and waits for it to re-activate.

See? Like a gem!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.