main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:VIC So, where's a good place to upgrade a computer in Melbourne?

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by hawk, Jan 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithLord-Mixo

SithLord-Mixo Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 21, 2002
    PoT!!! 32mb!!! You have to upgrade!!!!!

Minimum now would be at least 256mb!!!!

2. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    Thanks guys I really appreciate it! :)

I can't decide whether to upgrade and guarantee some great games or buy a game cube on ebay. I love the Metroid, Mario and Zelda games! But, I think PC games have more depth and, hell, there are so many more to choose from.

By the way, on my current system, how well would something like Sim City 4 run? I would really like that game.

3. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    Sorry Hawk but what are the exact stats of your current system?

Buy a PC!!! Consoles are over priced, under utilised and basically not upgradeable. PC games are programmed better, play better and look better. Also easier to get games and apps.

4. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    Tell me exactly what you need to know and I will tell you.

5. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    All system specs, CPU type and speed, amount of RAM, video card etc etc, everything possible

6. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    Pentium III Genuine Intel x86 Family 6 model 8 stepping 1

128 RAM

Graphics Processor: nVidia TNT2 Model 64, 32 MB

19.1 GB Memory

Is that enough?

7. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    What processor speed? PIIIs are alright, but you should be able to afford something superior hopefully. While you're at it, get an extra 128MB of RAM (it's cheap), and perhaps a new video card if you play games regularly. ;)

8. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    Whoops, I think it is 650. It is the figure on start-up right?

9. HawkNC

Oct 23, 2001
    Indeed it is, fellow Hawk. That'll do for the basics, such as word processing and a bit of web browsing, but if you want to run business apps, games, imaging programs etc. then you need to upgrade. You should be able to get 1.5+ GHz fairly cheap these days.

10. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    The games have been running well until I came across grand theft and aliens Vs Predator. What should my video card be? How much minimum do you think I need and how much will it cost??

11. HawkNC

Oct 23, 2001
    Hmm...a GeForce 4 MX440 goes for a good price IIRC, though I can't remember exact prices. Under $200 though, I think. It's not the most powerful card on the market, but it is more than sufficient for almost anything you can throw at it. If you're going to play games, you'll definitely need to upgrade both that and your processor (and probably motherboard, since you current one might not support the newer processors).

12. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    Just quickly I owuld say for a gamer get an Athlon CPU XP1800+, new motherboard to suit (With built in sound card,networkcard etc, 256mb(at least) DDR RAM, lower end GForce 4 v/card.

Easy and cheap!

13. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    How much would something like that set me back?

14. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    Hmm have not seen the lastes prices but roughly

CPU:XP2100(1.7g) $180 even much cheaper even for the XP1800 $120?-
    M/Board:ASUS all in one $120?
    RAM:256mb DDR $80?
    V/CARD: 64mb Winfast GForce 4 MX440 $110?

These are only by memory. You would have to look around. This would be a fairly fast and up to date games machine!

15. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    Sounds about what I wanted to spend. I'll await your research...

16. The_Shadow88

The_Shadow88 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 17, 2002
    For computer-related stuff, I would reccomend this place in Sunshine, (Infinity Computers, 10 Sun Crescentt, 9364-8666). In 2001, I bought a 1.2g Athlon with GeForce2 MX, 256 ram, 17-inch monitor, scanner, colour printer, burner, mic, 3 speaker system, optical mouse and ext. modem for $1800 (pretty good back then).
    Then, when I took the same computer to get a DVD player put in the gave me an extra 256 ram! (although I'm not sure this was intentional...).

They have always been polite, cheap, the components never screw up (well.. ok, i used to have stability issues with my cpu), they give free technical assitance, and didn't charge me when nothing was my wrong with my comp after they looked it over.

I have only read the title of this thread, but judging by the avergae on-topicness of the VicFF Forums, you will all probably be talking about beer, or huggard by now (not that I have anything against the two).
    If so.. disregard this post.

BTW, I'm not even sure if these guys are still open though.

EDIT: Ok, I have read back through the thread. Someone said something about getting a gamecube, I have one and while they have some good games, they weren't as good as I expected (I have been a Nintendo fan since the SNES), however, don't let that stop you if you really want one like I did.

17. voyager

voyager Jedi Youngling

Jan 23, 2003
    Don't skimp out on your motherboard - a cheap one generally (now I mean generally, not all the time) a cheap one will be unstable, won't run "out of the box", will need BIOS updates and will slow you up.

ASUS are my pick for motherboards - the A7V333 if you can afford it ($240 or thereabouts) is fantastic and runs like lightning. Slap an Athlon XP 2000 on it, and 512Mb PC2700 DDR. That will probably total around the $600 mark all up, but will absolutely FLY. Don't skimp on your CPU cooler either !

Personal experience with this combination - I had to UNDER-clock the CPU initially when running Win98 or it crashed the OS as it shut down WAY too fast. I had to add the shutdown patch - something I've never had to do on any other system before.

Add on a GF4 or a Radeon 9700 for sweet gfx performance, but you'll pay $500- or thereabouts for one of these babies. Again, personal recommendation to the MSI GF4 Ti4800SE-VTD8X - got everything, comes with plenty of software, and marks over 9000 on 3DMark2001 with an older Athlon chip. For a budget option, one of the GF4-MX440 would be good - Leadtek makes a couple that are pretty good, and these run out at around $150-.

So sticking to the budget video card, you can then add in a Creative Audigy DE (Digital Entertainment) card for another $150-.

Nearly there - final thing to do - buy a new power supply. Get something AMD approved. Antek make some excellent units. This can just screw into the case in place of your existing one. Set you back around $60.

So there you have it. For around a grand, you get a thrashingly good system !

---2 edits! I can't spell today !!!---

18. voyager

voyager Jedi Youngling

Jan 23, 2003
    regarding how well would SimCity4 run...

Umm....

on your current PC ?

It won't. It may load up and all, but that will be about it. It will be too slow to even consider playing it.

It ran slow on my PC before I updated my video card (I had a GeForce2 GTS Pro) - it was jerky and stilted, plus it crashed a lot.

It runs fine on my GF4.

19. darth_brutus

darth_brutus Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    Well I'll be buying some parts and building a new computer (with some help ;)) in the first week of the holidays. :D

And Mixo, I will be having a look at MSY. ;)

20. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    Do it Brutus!! MSY are excellent. We travel all the way from the country just to go there!

21. The-Lute

The-Lute Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 29, 2002
    Love MSY. It's been in my family for generations!!

22. darth_brutus

May 25, 2002
    Hmmmmmm....

Isn't it just fun as the costs just keep on getting higher and higher as you remember the little things you've forgotten to include. [face_plain]

:_|

;)

23. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    Yes but Brutus the costs at the moment are so low for what you get. Components have plummeted. Do the MSY journey and you will not be upset at all!

24. darth_brutus

May 25, 2002
    I shall be doing that this weekend. ;)

Mmmmmmm..... Radeon 9700 Pro..... *drools*

25. HawkNC

Oct 23, 2001
    How much are you paying for that? I'm interested in buying a new video card myself, and the Radeons are looking increasingly desirable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.