main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LA, CA So which movie do you want to see next?

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Sol_Jedi, May 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Avalyn07

Avalyn07 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 1, 2005
    Oh no don't let me hold you all up. Perhaps I will be able to next weekend the 31st. I just want to play it by ear till next week then I can see how worn out or not I will be from moving. :)

2. Varekeii

Varekeii Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 26, 2006
    Is anyone interested in seeing Angelina Jolie's new movie 'Salt?' I want to see it, but not in a rush.

3. Avalyn07

Jun 1, 2005
    Yes I totally do! I discovered through boxing my items I found two AMC gift cards I got for my birthday. Next weekend is looking good for "Salt". :)

4. Sol_Jedi

Sol_Jedi LA Chapter Rep star 4

Oct 8, 2005
    I'm totally good for the 31st for either Salt or Inception, or BOTH!?

5. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    Sorry for the rant below. It's a long one, but I was in a passionate writing frenzy at the time. That's my best excuse. So, read on, if you dare.

No, I'm not going to back down from what I said. I am not judging a book by its cover, nor am I judging it by general opinion or the opinion of any single person or small group of people. I have seen PLOT AND CHARACTER BREAKDOWNS. Add that to the fact that these days I read an average of maybe 1 3/4 of a book a week, from practically every genre from humor to sci-fi to classic literature to graphic novels to fantasy to lots and lots of non-fiction. And that's just in book format. I often read several magazine and journal articles a week, although I do tend to shy from newspapers most of the time. I read internet sources galore.. I even occasionally read so-called popular literature (which, int he context and subject of the books the term is usually applied to, really frightens me). All of this, compounded by the fact that I write extensively myself in several mediums, and am quite good at it (not just my opinion), and the fact that I constantly do research for all of my works, simply to make it both accurate, believable, and imaginative adds to that even more. Because of this, it really upsets me when any writer writes what practically every other person in the press, literary criticism, and the creative side of the aspect says is abysmal, then becomes explosively popular and ridiculously overpaid for what they wrote without much skill at all. It's not just Stephanie Meyer that I have this problem with. Dan Brown, Christopher Paolini, Dean Koontz, often even Stephen King, not to mention all of the other hack writers out there that write bestsellers have this effect on me. I just have to defend my views on Twilight the most because that's the one that is so amazingly overrated in terms of quality and popularity that it comes up so often. If someone came up to me telling me about the average new summer blockbuster, then goes on to say it was the best movie they've ever seen, even if I had a slightly positive initial reaction and then it got so much worse after that first viewing, then I'll still give them an earful, even more so, obviously, if I've seen the thing. For example, the first event I went to with anyone here was when I organized a ovie outing to see Transformers. My initial reaction was a sense of happy nostalgia, and I adored the film. Every subsequent theater or DVD viewing (and there were quite a few before it took me to realize this) made it more and more apparent that it was an awful piece of idiocy that degraded my childhood love. I had to be dragged to see the second movie, where I literally facepalmed about 22 or 23 times throughout the film while I was in the theater. I had seen trailers, but didn't know much about anything outside of that. It was just horrible beyond belief. And it's not just Michael Bay bashing either. I still think of Armageddon as a moderate creative success, even though that wasn't perfect either.

I don't know, maybe I'm a literary and film snob. Maybe it doesn't help that I'm a writer myself, and it certainly doesn't help that I've personally taken several film and literature classes where I had to actually have steady output, plus the technical film classes where I learned about what was wrong with some of the films I loved. And even before that, I never fell into the "says it's so bad it's good" category. There's no such thing. If it's bad, it's bad. That's it. To me, the worse it is, the less enjoyable it is, period, whether it's my own arbitrary viewpoint or popular op

6. Varekeii

Jan 26, 2006
    Both in one weekend would be too much for me. I have some discount tickets, too. But, they are for Edwards, Regal and Pacific. None for AMC. Que lastima! How about we check out Inception first, then Salt on another weekend. This way we shouldn't have to buy tickets ahead of time. That's one of the problems with having to rush to see a movie in the first week. The other one being that the theatres are so crowded.

7. Sol_Jedi

Oct 8, 2005
    VK2, it's like those movies are going to sell out like Dark Knight or a new Star Wars. I'm sure we can catch a showing no problem for Inception since it's been out for a bit.

Make a suggestion where you'd like to see Inception.

8. Varekeii

Jan 26, 2006
    OK, here's some I found using my zip code for a reference:

http://www.google.com/movies?near=90034&hl=en&sort=1&ei=h7hNTImsDpSCsQPn1bRI

There might be prolems getting together if anyone has to use the 405, since there's going to be a lot of delays due to demolition.

Since GF & M are not interested in seeing it we could consider the Hollywood Arclight:

https://www.arclightcinemas.com/ArcLight/faces/NowPlaying.jsp?cinemaId=1001&movieType=NowShowing&headerLabel=NowPlaying

(I tried twice. I can't seem to make the Arclight link come through correctly.)

Since Inception is doing so well, I don't think the schedule will change so much for next weekend.

9. Varekeii

Jan 26, 2006
    Since there's been no reply to my last post and it's Friday 7/31, I guess we're not going to see Inception tomorrow.

I hope to see you all soon at another movie, party, or another get together.

10. GFORCE13

GFORCE13 Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 12, 2007
    This weekend hopefully will see the Pod completed enough for the Race to the Work System Monday & then next my AT-AT is coming in for a Cooling System Repairs.:D

11. Varekeii

Jan 26, 2006
    GF, I hope those repairs do get finished and both your Pod & AT-AT give you no trouble for years to come.

12. Avalyn07

Jun 1, 2005
    I am sorry I forgot I don't have internet hooked up yet at my new place. I can't even play Wow, grrr. However it was time well spent on dragging over the last of my things and cleaning the old place till 9PM on Saturday. Needless to say I am worn out atm. But that is the end of it so I am ready for some R&R.

13. Varekeii

Jan 26, 2006
    So, it looks like it was a good thing we didn't get it together last Saturday. You'll be more rested when we do get together. Also, maybe GF & M can make it now that the Pod's back in action.

14. GFORCE13

GFORCE13 Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 12, 2007
    Actually the Pod isn't in action since I was helping SJ with his new Pod over the Weekend and the AT-AT still needs to be worked on as well, so this weekend out and the following weekend we are out of town. Not to mention again that Neither Mary or I have any interest still for neither Salt or Inception even if the Pod & AT-AT were complete.[face_thinking]

15. Varekeii

Jan 26, 2006
    Yes, but there are other movies out or coming out. Hope we can all get together for many of them.

16. Avalyn07

Jun 1, 2005
    Yep I agree I still want to see The Last Airbender.

17. Varekeii

Jan 26, 2006
    You need to hurry with that one. It's not still playing in too many theatres. (Did that make sense?) See it in 3D or 2D. The 3D effects add to it, but are not vital to the visual aspect of the movie. (And I'm definitely someone who loved the 3D & will almost always opt for a 3D showing over the regular.)

I have to hurry up and see Sorcerer's Apprentice or wait for Netflix. That's another one that's only showing at a few theatres now.

And by the way, in case anyone hasn't already heard...there's a fourth Pirates of the Caribbean movie coming out.=D=

18. Avalyn07

Jun 1, 2005
    I hear ya I wanted to see that one too. I looked and could only find it in a couple places that are close to me, sheesh.

Yep Pirates ! Here is a teaser trailer from San Diego Con

http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/pirates-of-caribbean-on-stranger-tides/comic-con-teaser-trailer

19. Avalyn07

Jun 1, 2005
    So anyone up for seeing "Salt" this weekend? It is playing at the ArcLight in Hollywood and also The Grove.

20. Varekeii

Jan 26, 2006
    Well, it looks like movie dates won't be as frequent for the next few months, since it sounds like most of us are pretty broke. I'm cutting back on movies, but do plan to splurge on this:

http://www.dinosaurlive.com/index.php/tickets/us/

Looks like tickets may not be available if I wait much longer, so I'll be buying one sometime this week. Anyone else?

21. Avalyn07

Jun 1, 2005
    So cool, Tyrannosaurus Rex was my favorite as a child. I want to go I saw the whole making of it on TV recently. Unfortunately I will be out of town that weekend. Have a good time!

22. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    I just saw Piranha 3-D -- these 3-D movies are getting really expensive! I mean, $16.50 is brutal... just brutal.

The saving grace for me is that I just joined the DGA this summer, so I can see all new releases for free at the DGA screenings. The only issue there is I have to be free that day, like I saw The Expendables last Friday at the DGA, it was a lot of fun, so I try to catch as many films as I can that way. It's fun going to their theater, too.

23. Sol_Jedi

Oct 8, 2005
    So is there a movie and location we can agree on meeting?

24. Varekeii

Jan 26, 2006
    Yeah, especially brutal for those of us who are under or unemployed. It's been a tough year for many of us movie lovers. I'm lucky enough to have a discount theatre and a few theatre passes which cut down on the cost, but, it's why I've been skipping a lot of get togethers.

I really miss our outings. Is there something inexpensive we can all do together?

25. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Yeah, and in today's economy in this state, there are a LOT of unemployed and underemployed, haha. I finally am getting my mortgage refinanced, which I'm happy about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.