main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

So who's making a roadtrip out of CIII?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by Sturm Antilles, Sep 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    By roadtrip, I mean you're driving from at least 2-3 states away, and back.

For both Celebration I and II, me and my friend drove all the way from California. Let me tell you...the journey of getting there is half the fun. I have just as many good memories from that as I do the actual conventions.

For CI, we drove from Orange CA to St. George, Utah. Then Utah to Grand Junction, CO. Then to Denver.

After the convention, we made our way south to Albuquerque. The next day we headed west to Flagstaff, AZ. Then I had the crazy idea of going southwest, past Buttercup Valley, because "that's where they filmed Jabba's sailbarge in Return of the Jedi!" In the end it was too late and too dark to see any desert. But we continued on to San Diego and then Orange that same night.

For Celebration II, it was the same up until Denver. We stayed there for an extra day ( seeing all the old sights again...it was amazing how the area surrounding the Air & Space Musuem was now full of tract homes ), and then headed across Kansas ( thank you, state patrol, for the ticket ) to stay in Kansas City on the Missouri side. Then the next day we made it to Indianapolis. Heading back, we went southwest, through Arkansas, and on to Oklahoma City, where we stayed for the night. The next day we went from there, across the top of Texas, and stayed in Albuqurque again. The next day it was a long haul all the way to Orange, CA, this time cutting straight west from Flagstaff.

So who else will be making this next one be a long trip? True, it can cost more. Especially depending on your car, and gas prices at the time. Time itself is also a factor, if you're working and can't get the time off.

2. VaderFanForever

VaderFanForever Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 24, 2004
    Well, I am coming from Ottawa, Ontario Canada!! We (father-in-law, and wife) are driving down on April 19th, and going down through Toronto, Windser, and Detroit. Then we are staing somewhere overnight, and then finish up heading south to Indy!! It is going to rock!! As you said Sturm, getting there is half the fun! The other half will be talkto to you all from all over the world!! I can't wait!

3. Rogue_Thunder

Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada star 6

Jan 7, 2003
    My FanForce is coming en masse from Edmonton, Canada. We're hoping to charter or a bus or even rent a passenger van but so far we don't have enough people...

4. Jedi_Knight_Birr

Jedi_Knight_Birr Retired RSA star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2002
    Im driving from Colorado.

First i will be leaving home (hopefully from my college dorm then) and meeting up with the combined RMFF/SCFF caravan. we are renting a van and will be hauling all the costumes for the group so they dont have to worry about airports and their stuff getting damaged in the mail. we will strike out and take about 12 hours driving the first day. the we will complete the last 6 hours and get there in time to check in and pick up the others from the airport who are flying in.

so far we have about 6 in the van. we will be getting a trailer cause we have a HUGE amount of costumes to haul.

After the con we will be leaving and returning the same way we came and getting back.

5. AT-AT_Commander

AT-AT_Commander Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 23, 2001
    coming from va. thats a few states away. maybe going to take a side trip to niagra on the way back which is farther.

6. robertyodarugenstein

robertyodarugenstein Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2002
    VaderFanForever if you come through Detroit you might as well keep driving to Indy. I live in Flint (1hr north of Detroit) and I'm only 3.5 hours from Indy. I would save you the money on a hotel.

7. rgjedi01

rgjedi01 Jedi Youngling

Aug 19, 2004
    I'll be driving from West Virginia. It took me about 8 hours when I went to C2. Can't wait for C3!!!

Robin

8. VaderFanForever

VaderFanForever Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 24, 2004
    Robert, I didn't realize that Indy is that close to Detroit! I will have to talk to my Dad about it though. He likes to drive, but it may be a bit considering we are coming from Eastern Canada.

9. Darth-Kevin-Thomas

Darth-Kevin-Thomas Jedi Master star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    I may be driving up from Las Vegas. But i'll probably end up flying.

dkt.

10. r2fu2

r2fu2 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2004
    road trip from Cinci.

11. BrotherHalo

BrotherHalo RSA Emeritus and Heckler star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 12, 2003
    Road trip from Albuquerque is on call here. Me and probably 2 if not 3 other vehicles will be winding our way up that way.

Hey, we oughta hook up with some of y'all from Cali and have a HUGE caravan!

12. swguru2004

swguru2004 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2003
    Roadtrip from the farthest south and west u can get in the united states...SAN DIEGO!!

13. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    swguru...right on!

Me and my friend still have a paper we stuck inside the back window of his car that reads "Star Wars Celebration Or Bust". ( We got a honk for it in Denver in '99. )

We added a "II" with marker for the last one. Guess we'll add an extra "I" this next time. :)

14. Siri_Ruane

Siri_Ruane Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 13, 2003
    I'm driving from Ohio. Its not that far. About 8 hours. Should be fun with all the motion sickness I get just driving to grandma's house...

15. JediHobbit

JediHobbit Jedi Master star 5

Mar 2, 2002
    You're goin' Sturm!? :D

oh, and I'll be driving from the north side of Indy. It'll take me about 15 - 20 minutes. :p

16. DarthLazious

DarthLazious Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    I am coming all the way from the upper part of South Carolina to Indiana in a Greyhound Bus.

17. Jedi_Knight_Birr

Jedi_Knight_Birr Retired RSA star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2002
    Greyhound Bus

I am so sorry. those things are horrible to ride in. plus half the ppl that are in them are scary.

18. swguru2004

swguru2004 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2003
    hmmmm..i wonder how long it will take to drive each other insane on such a long trip....

19. not_4_a_sith

not_4_a_sith Jedi Youngling

Sep 13, 2004
    me and 4 of my friends will be coming down from orangeville, ontario and i hope that the drive is as good as everybody else says it is.

20. darthspino

darthspino Tucson FF Founding Member star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    Me and my boys are coming from Tucson Arizona :cool: But we will be flying :(

21. starhunter79

starhunter79 Jedi Youngling

Sep 15, 2004
    Im comin from Hamilton Ontario Canada....if anyone else is from the area (ontario)let me know maybe we can convoy there or something like that....

crxit@interlynx.net

22. Elan-Rai

Elan-Rai RSA Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 11, 2001
    Travellin' from Hot Springs, AR via van. It shouldn't be too bad of a trip. I trekked it from Nashville, TN back in '02 and believe we clocked in around 5-6 hours. This one will probably be about 8 hours if my guess is right. Should be loads of fun... just like the last one. :D

Hopefully, I'll get to take my 2 year old (who will almost be 3 come April) and expose him to the Star Wars high-life. ;)

23. JediJeffro

JediJeffro Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 23, 2001
    I'm driving from Southwestern Illinois, so it's only like 4 hours for me. Hop on I70 and go straight. For about 280 miles.

24. eddie-wan-kenobi

eddie-wan-kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 14, 2003
    Our group is driving from Rocky Mount, North Carolina. About 45 minutes east of Raleigh.

25. Darth_Raptor

Darth_Raptor Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 21, 2002
    Just like rgjedi01, the West Virginia FanForce will be making a roadtrip of it. And as many here have also said, the trip is half the fun!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.