main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussions So why are all Jedi allowed to love but Anakin?

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Darth_BDO, Jan 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Do the Jedi have to "truly represent goodness"? Can't they just be a faction, with a particular way of doing things, that appeals to the Republic Government, which is why the government has granted them such privileges?

2. Darth_BDO

Darth_BDO Jedi Padawan

Jan 15, 2015
    Ah, maybe the Obi-Wan type of brotherly love was different but Luke and Leia getting married and having kids, pretty much exactly what Anakin wanted.

I love when people say I reading it the wrong way and that you are allowed to have emotions but just not let them control you. There is no right and wrong way to read it. The Jedi Code is very black and white. The first line is "There is NO EMOTION, there is peace." That's it. Period.

I also personally buck the idea that George Lucas wants us to go read these philosophies to understand and agree with the Jedi Order. Everyone forgets that Anakin is the main character. Not Luke or Leia or Han or Obi, Anakin. George wanted to tell the full story of Anakin's life. He has said on many occations that Anakin is suppose to be a tragic character. This to me means that we should understand (not approve of) his fall. Seeing the terrible events in his life should make you feel compassion for him as the main character and be disappointed that it ultimately lead him down a dark path. I don't think George wants us to watch his beloved character and say "Well that's what you get for having feelings." We are suppose to identify with him because we have feelings. We don't live like the Jedi.

Oh I see. No attachment love, just compassion love. Gotcha. So when Obi-wan freaked out on Yoda and said he would not kill Anakin, that was compassion not attachment. When he was forced to fight him to protect Padme and then he made his little speech "You were my brother Anakin. I loved you!", that once again was ment to be "I have compassion for you and no attachment! Burn by lava, I will feel nothing cause I'm not attached." I just don't see it. And I will go back to Luke and Leia, they have OBVIOUS attachments in the later books and still manage to be perfectly competent Jedi. I just wonder if Anakin would have ever become Darth Vader if he was allowed the love Padme the way Luke can love Mara or Leia can love Han.

zompusbite and Iron_lord like this.
  3. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I doubt it but I suspect that's the point. The OJO has it wrong. I disagree that Anakin is the main character of the OT, that's Luke but mostly otherwise I agree with you. :)

4. Darth_BDO

Darth_BDO Jedi Padawan

Jan 15, 2015

I was not really referring to the trilogies separately but rather the saga as a whole. I don't see them so much as 2 separate stories. And I was also referring to how George wrote them. He has said on many occasions that Star Wars is a story about the life of Anakin Skywalker and it always has been even from the very early stages of writing when he was actually named Anakin Starkiller. Here is one such interview where he talks about this is you are interested.

http://news.moviefone.com/2012/05/25/star-wars-unscripted-george-lucas-hayden-christensen/

5. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    That's fine individuals approach them differently. :)

zompusbite and Darth_BDO like this.
  6. Darth Zannah

Darth Zannah Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 28, 2014

when i say greater good i mean as seen in the eyes of the Jedi...i don't think the actual force requires this at all.....but that the Jedi do...i think most western audiences don't like this because it corresponds to eastern philosophy and went right over peoples heads....i also think not liking that aspect of the Jedi is a plot device...meant to be disliked so that we empathize with Anakin...also the dogmatic ways of the Jedi are meant to be seen as contributing to their downfall...i think it's brilliant and that the prequels have far more depth to them than the OT

zompusbite and Darth_BDO like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.