main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TOR So, why PC only?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by MattPeriolat, Jul 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darksideyesplease

darksideyesplease Jedi Master star 4

Feb 12, 2005

Standard edition is $60 US at least. So your adding on $40 there. If if you want the digital deluxe, it's still $80, so a little bit of an over estimate on your part. Unless you don't live in the US and it costs more in your country, but you are saying bucks, so I would assume your talking about US currency.

Still, even at $200 it is less than buying a windows rig that would run the game at medium graphical settings.

But if your in the market for a Windows computer anyway, then sure. But if your just going to buy a Windows rig for the game, I don't see how this is any different than spending $160 to play it on your Mac.

As far as WoW being released later for MAC's, this is the only thing I could find, it was on a forum dated November 4th, 2004.

According to this, it looks like they were released at the same time, but I didn't play WoW at release and can't find any information on a Mac release date separate from the original November 23, 2004 release date.

2. MattPeriolat

MattPeriolat Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 16, 2001
    Well, the whole point of getting TOR now is to get the CE, which is $100+, so add the WinOS and the game and it's $300+.

I am double checking, but as far as WoW goes, always been Mac compliant. Blizz games have been cross platform since WCII from what I understand.

3. darksideyesplease

Feb 12, 2005

Not true at all. Everyone who pre-orders any edition gets Early Access to the game. There are no differences between the Early Access and the edition of the game you buy. Eventually they are going to cut that off and it will matter WHEN you pre-ordered and they will give people Early Access in waves, so if you pre-ordered the standard edition day one, you'll be getting into the Early Access at the very beginning. I didn't buy the CE, I got the Digital Deluxe on day one, so I am confident I'll be in Early Access on Day One of that. If you haven't ordered the game by now, rumor has it you probably won't have the same amount of time in the Early Access as those who have already ordered weeks ago. Because of the way they plan on staggering the waves of people initially logging onto the servers.

Also there are articles all over the net as of yesterday that they will halt selling the game once they reach a certain number to make sure they don't have TOO many people at launch. Then they will stagger more releases of the game later on. This way they are creating an artificial supply and demand for the game by not selling it for a little while, plus they are making sure those who did pre-order get a smooth game launch and won't be booted off servers every 10 minutes and experience incredible lag.

So there is the potential for that. So no, the CE isn't the only thing that is important or the only thing people are pre-ordering. If you just want to walk into Wal-Mart on the day it is released, according to these articles popping up on major game websites, you might not be able to play day one of launch and you certainly won't be in the Early Access, obviously.

4. MattPeriolat

Aug 16, 2001
    OK, let me rephrase: the important thing TO ME is getting the CE because I like all the extra bells and whistles. But that is just an issue of preference.

Anyway, I am still evaluating. $300 is a lot of money ya know.

5. darksideyesplease

Feb 12, 2005

Yep, definitely a personal issue there. Good luck with that.

But to be deciding whether you want the CE or nothing at all seems a little extreme, but to each their own.

6. MattPeriolat

Aug 16, 2001
    Why do I feel like I have gone around in a circle?

My original complaint about not getting TOR released on the MAC was that MAC users (like myself) would miss out on the bells and whistles of the LE. So it is not a case of an all or nothing thing, it's a case of by being a Mac user and not having a Windows OS, I am not even offered a choice unless I shell out an additional $200 for the Windows 7 OS.

That's my issue. Simple as that.

7. darksideyesplease

Feb 12, 2005
    (first it was $100 for windows not is is $200 by your estimation. I've seen it go for 84.99 non-upgrade online. You are inflating prices, friend)

But I can't play God of War because I own a Xbox 360 instead of a PS3. [face_laugh]

The original question was not even just about Mac's, at least not the way I read it. It was why it wasn't on Mac and the consoles. It's been answered 20 times in this thread. Mac doesn't cater to the computer gamer, their systems are not easily updated and there just isn't enough people in the world who own them to warrant bringing out this game for it.

If you don't want to shell out $200, don't. I will enjoy my PC and Swtor, and never think about why I can't play games like God of War.

You made a choice on computers when you bought yours. I'm not trying to be rude but when you invest that type of money you need to ask, will it do everything I want it to do? At the time, maybe it did. Perhaps you had not thought about playing games on your computer. That's cool. But you still made the decision and now it's your decision to spend $200-300 dollars. Obviously the game is not important enough to you to spend the $150 on the collector's edition if you can't even decide if you want to put Windows 7 on your Mac. Maybe that is your answer then? Honestly the CE is a rip-off in my opinion and even thought I bought the DD, it's kind of a rip off as well. I spent several hundred dollars myself updating my computer, not because I HAD to, to play the game, but because the game is important enough to ME, and me alone, to do so, so I made that decision to be able to play the game with higher graphics and not run it at 10 frames per second.

I don't really get what the discussion is anymore. So I guess I'll just quit checking in on this thread. I've tried to respond and be helpful but no one can make financial decisions for you.

Here's a little oxymoronic advice for you... never take advice from someone on an internet forum. Do your own research and come up with an educated answer. All the answers here will be biased and opinionated, including mine. With that, I wish you well and hope to see you in swtor one day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.