So - Will You be Buying the BluRay DVDs?

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by LAJ_FETT, Sep 11, 2011.

Moderators: CrazyMike, LAJ_FETT
  1. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    I don't even have a player (yet) and I've preordered them on Amazon UK. Are you going to splurge, and if so, where?
  2. pretender Jedi Master

star 2
    No.
    Because, I don't have a BluRay player. :p

My brother has one but when I asked him, he said he already got them twice on DVD (got the set with the original cut films after he got the first DVD set).

So, I guess if anything really cool is there as an extra it will be a while before I see them.

"Nooooooo" [face_laugh]
  3. TGaines1 Jedi Knight

star 3
    I know I will. Really looking forward to all the extra content. I foresee a long evening Saturday night, pizza & beer. There's a doc on the 501st on there so I'm anxious to see it although if from what I've heard at the Legion, its the Rose Parade doc from 07. All Star Wars is good Star Wars for me, I'm not too judicial on what comes across my screen, just want to sit down and enjoy it all. I saw in the Sunday ads, Walmarts (their 24hr stores) are having a midnight release this Thursday night and costumers are welcome. Might hit that up in costume. Best Buy has a free Vader TShirt with their promotion and Target has several mini posters I believe. There's a lot of trooping going on for this event in our area. Have fun since its a rare occassion now that it will be so much in the public eye!
  4. Mortimer_Snerd Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Of course I will!

Because I'm a chump.

5. Juke Skywalker Force Ghost

star 5
    Five days out and I'm still on the fence. The latest round of changes really brought out the whiney fanboy in me (Ask the folks over @ IMDB) but then again I was never going to buy this set for the movies anyway (I'll stick with my grainy, slap-dash DVD's of the original versions). If I get it, it'll be for the extras and $80 is a lot of money for just that...

Right now it's a definite maybe :p.
  6. DantheJedi Force Ghost

star 5
    I've decided, after much thought, not to get them, because I was only interested in the deleted scenes anyways, and my previous DVD copies still hold up.
  7. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    Well, mine haven't come yet but when they do I have something to play them on - got a portable BluRay player at a PC/TV store in town today.
  8. CrazyMike JC Collecting Manager and RSA Canada

Manager
    star 7
    I will be buying them...
  9. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    I figured you'd be getting them, Mike - you've got that home cinema!
  10. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    Postman brought my BluRay order from Amazon UK today. Just finished watching ANH - it was great!
  11. CrazyMike JC Collecting Manager and RSA Canada

Manager
    star 7
    Very good Les :) They go on sale out here on Friday. I guess it will be a SW marathon for me this weekend :)
  12. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    I'm spreading it out, Mike. ANH today, maybe ESB tomorrow. (Depends on the weather - the weekend is supposed to be rainy here so if it's nice tomorrow or Friday I want to do outdoor stuff.)
  13. CrazyMike JC Collecting Manager and RSA Canada

Manager
    star 7
    I am going to try and get some friends over on the weekend to watch the movies with us Les.
    I remember seeing the trailer for EPIII back in 2005 and I believe that it was in HD or at the very least upconverted to 1080i and it looked amazing on my old second generation HDTV. I am sure that these Blu Ray versions will be sharper in 1080P and will look even better on my new generation HDTV.
  14. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    Well, so far ANH and ESB look great even on a portable player.
  15. CrazyMike JC Collecting Manager and RSA Canada

Manager
    star 7
    I want to see them even more now Les :)
  16. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    Are you hitting a midnight sale or anything, Mike? Or are any stores doing deals near you? The only deal I saw here in town was the HMV store was giving away a free 'Blue Darth Vader' t-shirt if you bought the set. I had already ordered from Amazon UK when I saw that. (T-shirt wasn't that great either.)
  17. fistofan1 Force Ghost

star 4
    You bet! Unneccessary changes aside this is the best SW release yet, how can I say no?

I'll probably be getting my set at Target since I have a fair amount of gift cards saved up. I also hear you get a free lithograph. :)
  18. TrakNar Force Ghost

star 5
    Considering that I lack a BluRay player, then no, I will not be buying these.
  19. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    That's what I thought when I first heard about them. However, I now consider the purchase of discs and portable player money well spent, even after only watching two films.
  20. CrazyMike JC Collecting Manager and RSA Canada

Manager
    star 7
    Les I did not come across any midnight openings out where I live but I am sure that there were some events in Toronto. I will be picking up my copy after work.
  21. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    My new BluRay player fell to the Dark Side and I had to take it back today for a replacement. Yesterday when I tried to play ESB the disc tried to load. Then there was a yellow flash on the screen and the unit went into standby mode. It wouldn't come out even when I hit the standby/on button on the remote. After awhile I did get the disc to play but today the thing did it again when I tried to watch ROTJ. So I boxed it up and took it back (along with the DVD set). One of the tech guys tried to play ESB and it did the same thing to him. Luckily they had some more in stock so I swapped for a new player. I made the guy start ESB up in it to make sure it was working. Looked OK. The battery is charging now. I'll accept one dud machine but if this one gives me problems as well I'll get my money back and look for a better unit. I think Panasonic does one but it will be more than what I paid for this. (This one is a Logik).
  22. CrazyMike JC Collecting Manager and RSA Canada

Manager
    star 7
    I am glad to hear that you were able to get another Blu Ray player Les :)

[image=http://www.mikestruys.com/images/Mike/2011-09-16%2014.02.07.jpg]

I picked up a copy this morning :)
  23. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    Bet you can't wait to watch!
  24. CrazyMike JC Collecting Manager and RSA Canada

Manager
    star 7
    I have finished watching epI and are watching epII...
  25. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    I'm going to try to watch ROTJ later today (and see if the replacement player works OK).
Moderators: CrazyMike, LAJ_FETT