main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

So you wanna work for ILM?

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by DaftMaul, Sep 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    I saw a link to this article over at fanfilmfx.com, and thought it was quite interesting.
    Not for any other reason than it shows people what ILM actually want potential employees to have/be able to do in order to get a job there.

Check out the link to the recruitment page here and then see if you have what it takes :)

2. monkey_abbot

monkey_abbot Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 2002
    if ONLY i had what it takes....

3. Pixelito

Pixelito Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    hopefully RISD won't turn down my demo reel... heh... i'd rather move to the UK and work for FrameStore.

4. monkey_abbot

monkey_abbot Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 2002
    frame store? never heard of them!

5. Ptx

Ptx Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 19, 2000
    Think of them as the ILM of the UK :D

There are quite a few exeptional effects/animation companies in the UK.

Pete

6. MasterZap

MasterZap Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 11, 2002
    Bah, boring job positions anyway. R&D, thats where the fun's at!

/Z

7. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Hmmmmm.

What if I just want to mop the floor or bring donuts or somethin'? ?[face_plain]

Rick McCallum loves you!

8. Tri-Som_Gare

Tri-Som_Gare Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 22, 2000
    Damn, I had it all till they asked for an email address ;)

9. Jedi_Master_Vin

Jedi_Master_Vin Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 19, 2002
    Actually, do yo uknow of any FX houses in the uk? Other than framestore and Attic?

10. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    Actually the company more equivalent to ILM in the UK is Mill Film since they also have blue screen stages, a miniature dept., etc. besides CG. Framestore merged with CFC so now it's Framestore/CFC. I'm surprised that people don't recognize Framestore as they did Walking with Dinosaurs and Dinotopia.

There are tons of FX houses in the UK. Besides Mill Film and Framestore/CFC you have places like Cinesite UK, Double Negative, Motion Picture Company, Glassworks, Aardman, Jim Henson Studio and many other boutiques. You can probably get more names from the listings for the 3Dfestival/LEAF 2002, which is next month.

As far as ILM, you should have checked the Unofficial ILM website to get those kind of news in a more timely manner ;-). I guess most people missed their page for recruiting at SIGGRAPH 2002 which is their main recruiting event and had much more info than the one for the LA trip. I have an interview available, from around 1998 that while dated it still has many valid points what ILM looks for when recruiting:

Interview with Beth Sasseen

11. Fremen

Fremen Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 10, 2001
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing, it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

;)
    Kyle

12. Semaj Ovured

Semaj Ovured Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2000
    Frankly, any fan film maker who dreams of working in this industry - especially for ILM and who either live in L.A. or will be in the area, owes it to themselves to give it a try.

I mean, the experience of the interview would be worth the time. And who knows, they may remember you when you ARE ready.

13. Pixelito

Pixelito Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    Framestore also did Blade II, M:I2, Resident Evil, the Xbox commercials, and the Levi's commercial called "Odyssey" where the two youngins are running through walls.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.