main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

So, you've got a problem with the administration...

Discussion in 'Communications' started by RidingMyCarousel, Oct 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    First off, forgive me if this is redundant. I scoped out the last few pages of this board and saw nothing along the same lines - although Night4554's There's a Problem On The Boards! thread comes close.

[hl=yellow][b]So, you've got a problem with the Administration[/b][/hl][hr]
    Well, what are you to do?

[b]First off[/b], think logically. Identify the problem that you have - if you can't clearly define the problem, then most likely the thought isn't worth the time or day.

[b]Secondly[/b], identify who your problem is with. For example, say you were banned - contact the Unban request form and request to know who banned you so you may PM that person when you return back. There's no point in causing mass drama over a banning for saying a word or two. It just draws attention and drains both parties out until the discussion is either spammed to death or watered down so much that the discussion doesn't make sense anymore. Remember, when you take the issue to the person you're having a problem with - think reasonably. You're both on different sides (oh my Lord, how could that be!? :|) -- so be polite. Resulting to "flaming" will get you nowhere save a bannishment. Your goal with talking to the person should be finding out their reasons for what they did.

*note: And if I'm not mistaken, I thought it was against the rules to come back for someone and ask why they were banned?

[b]Thirdly[/b] - if you feel someone did something wrong, take it to someone above that person. Ie, an administrator. There are many of them around. Some people tend to complain that some admins do nothing - well, here's your chance to get them to work. Here, the issue should be solved. If not, well.. goto..

The [b]Final Step[/b]: If a JC administrator cannot handle your problem, bring it to JC Comms. This should be your last stand here. If a problem is listed here, it should be "serious" and concerning the entire board or a section of the boards. Respectively, you have FanForce Communications for FanForce problems.

That's all.

2. Bono

Bono Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 4, 2002
    In a perfect E-world, that would work fine. But the intronet megarweb is far from perfect, and the JC has time and again proven itself to be more an irritating grain of sand than a nice shiny pearl.

3. kephy

kephy Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 2000
    I hate sand.

4. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    If people would start using common sense to solve problems, then the amount of problems and stress that is formed around here would go down.

Think of this place like a workplace. You've got a problem with your manager, you take it to his boss. Or you can bitch at your manager and get fired. It's really quite simple, really.

And the purpose of trying to hijack this thread is..? Why don't you use common sense to try and figure things out and if you don't have anything to add, then sit back and wait until you do. Using "constructive" thoughts around here might make this place work better. Just a thought.

5. Bono

Bono Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 4, 2002
    Going over your boss' head is also a bad idea. Either way, you lose.

6. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    If you voice your complaint with your manager first and they flat out ignore you or do nothing to help solve the problem, you either can a) suck it up, b) cause problems and get fired or c) talk to someone over him who may be able to sort out the mess.

That's how the heirarchy of life is. You can either bitch about it, or try and fix it. And there are appropriate methods for fixing things. Get over it or move on.

7. kephy

May 14, 2000
    It's kinda hard to say someone is trying to hijack a thread when they say 3 words. Come on. What he said was in reference to you and what I said was in reference to him, and also a Star Wars quote.

Now, if you want to get serious, then I suggest you read my gigantic novel sized post I made about an hour ago where I recognized that I crossed a line with someone, but I honestly legitimately feel that his response was harsh and unfair, given that it was not intended to offend anyone. I don't think my posting can or will get any more serious than that.

8. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    I did see that post.
    And if you've got nothing constructive to add to a post (ie, something on topic), then it's spamming and has a really good chance of convincing others others to do the same subliminally.

As for your problem, I saw your post and since it's discussed elsewhere, there is no point to re-discuss it here.
    Some people can be harsh and unfair - if so, take it to someone above that person. It's as simple as that. When nobody listens to you, then talk about it here. Skipping over the proper people to contact gets you no more respect from them and there's that small chance that some may not be as kind to you because of that.

9. kephy

May 14, 2000
    Spam is thrown around as a negative thing so much these days. I seriously doubt that my post would have derailed the discussion and made everyone start talking about sand, especially at 3am when no one is around. By the time enough people would come around to pull such a thing off, I would have returned to the subject at hand and it would be forgotten. So lets let that drop, k? Otherwise this whole thread is going to turn into a spam conversation and nobody wants that.

As for telling me how I should respond to actions taken against me that I feel are unfair.... I think that's up to me to decide how I deal with things. By the time I was able to come back and say anything in my defense, dozens of posts had been made by many different people about the situation. In order to set things straight and let everyone know where *I* was coming from, rather than let others talk for me, I chose to make an open statement to the whole group. The need to discuss it with someone higher up had come and gone by that point, because I had already had a long conversation with the person who banned me, had been unbanned, and that ordeal was over with. I still have every right to share my feelings on the matter with everyone involved in the discussion about the banning after the fact.

And besides, if I do go to someone higher up, how do I know who do I go to? Have you noticed how many administrators there are here? I don't know any of them. How do I know that the person I choose to go to will respond fairly and won't see me as "just a slacker stirring up trouble" as is done so often these days? Should I PM every single one of them asking that they have a meeting about it and get back to me when they make a mutual decision? How long would that take? Why should I do that when I had already taken care of it myself? And just because it's taken care of, does that mean I should not still have a right to share my feelings on the matter with everyone who was there when it happened, standing up for me or otherwise?

Everything is not always black and white, sometimes you have to pick and choose what to do in a situation as it works best for you.

10. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    So lets let that drop, k? Otherwise this whole thread is going to turn into a spam conversation and nobody wants that.
    -- Done.

...I still have every right to share my feelings on the matter with everyone involved in the discussion about the banning after the fact.
    -- You have the right to express your own opinions and feelings, yes. This isn't a communist society here (although it isn't a democracy, either). And yes, since that thread was created, you definately had the right to post your side of it. The problem being, others decided to take the problem into hands... and where has it gotten? A bit off topic and full of drama, as well as stress.

And besides, if I do go to someone higher up, how do I know who do I go to? Have you noticed how many administrators there are here? I don't know any of them. How do I know that the person I choose to go to will respond fairly and won't see me as "just a slacker stirring up trouble" as is done so often these days?
    -- If it helps, use this thread to find an administrator who best suits the job. As for the "slacker" image, that's a general stereotype. If you take your case to an administrator, civilly (sp?), then you should be heard out. You could also contact other Admins who don't have that feeling. An admin is a head around here; they should be able to handle any problem here or at least hear you out. If nobody seems to hear you out, then it's very understandable to bring it to Communications. Because if they ask you to take it to the mod and all, since you already did, they've got nothing on you.

Should I PM every single one of them asking that they have a meeting about it and get back to me when they make a mutual decision? How long would that take? Why should I do that when I had already taken care of it myself?
    -- If the issue is already taken care of, then there's no point in contact anyone else and the problem is solved. There's no point to pursue it any further.

And just because it's taken care of, does that mean I should not still have a right to share my feelings on the matter with everyone who was there when it happened, standing up for me or otherwise?
    -- If you honestly feel that an issue is so serious that it should be brought up with the general public here in Communications, feel free to do so. But think about it before you do - consider your other options. If you have a serious problem, take it to someone who can handle it. If they don't have a good outlook for you, or don't know how to help, then by all means bring it here.

11. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    I agree with that post.

12. kephy

May 14, 2000
    Well, I'm glad to see you are in agreement with my actions, then.

I felt and still feel there was no reason to discuss it with any one administrator, since I had handled the core of the problem on my own.

I also still feel that I was very right in wanting to share my feelings about it openly in that thread, so that not only could every administrator and moderator see and/or discuss them, but so could the people who were defending me and standing up for me. That way the issue could be worked on between staff and upset members and hopefully an agreement could eventually arise, rather than only solved directly on one end or the other.

When issues like the ones today have surfaced, not the one about toilet humor, but disagreements about how members and staff should treat each other and the forum, I feel it is important that things like this be discussed in the open. Everyone has a right to see and say their side, and since my banning was apparently an event of much concern in the matter, I think it was important that my views on it be shared with everyone.

13. BYOB_Kenobi

BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    Is there anyone still naive enough to think that these runaround tactics actually accomplish anything?

Perhaps we should start warning the newbies.

14. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    These "runaround" tactics have helped solve many issues here between many members and staff. Plain and simple. If it didn't, you'd see about 10 times as many threads in this board than there are already.

15. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    Is there anyone still naive enough to think that these runaround tactics actually accomplish anything?

Prove any other way works.

As a side note, I also find that if you have a complaint, not picking anyone out and speaking in neutral tones always works best. You flame and diss, and call anyone who disagrees puppets, and you draw lines. But if youre post is written well, even those who disagree can see the logic in your opinions.

16. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    This sort of thread by wannabe mods is a perfect example of the problems with Comms.

Just ANYONE can come in here and mouth off about 'Do this,' and 'Do that,' with NO authority at all.

If you want to be a mod, Carosel, just come out and SAY it!

17. Ariana Lang

Ariana Lang Jedi Youngling star 5

Oct 10, 1999
    James, it's your first day.

18. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Okay, what is the topic and/or overall goal of this thread? Let's not automatically assume being helpful and concerned for the greater welfare of the boards equates to wanting to be a mod or an ass-kisser.

19. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    It's common sense, plain and simple. And EagleI, if you have any complaints about this thread, you know you can come to me and rant. If you feel threads like this are created by "wannabe mods", take it up with the user and do not start making accusations in Communications. There's no point; it'll only lead to drama.

20. Mal

Mal Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 4, 2000

Okay, what is the topic and/or overall goal of this thread?

Let's not automatically assume being helpful and concerned for the greater welfare of the boards equates to wanting to be a mod or an ass-kisser.
    [hr]

I agree with the administration on this.

21. Aunecah_Skywalker

Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 25, 2002
    This might not be *completely* relevant, but I still think that this belongs in here. Prevention is always better than the cure. Rather than trying to fix a problem with an Admin, can't you guys just make sure that you have no problems with Admin in the first place?

If you know that something borders in the gray area, that it might possibly get you banned, then just don't post it. There are many ways to get across vehement feelings than by swearing and/or all those other things that might possibly get you banned.

Then there are some kinds of problems with Admin that have nothing to do with banning, but rather with the locking of threads. In the EU Community, all Hater clubs were consolidated into one big Haters club. I didn't like it, but I can see why the MJHC was locked. And I'm going on with my life happily in the MK II club.

There is no point or validity in arguing about unfair moderation, unless the Admin(s) clearly overstepped his or her bounds. If that's the case, then I'm sure the case can be settled in some way by the parties involved.

Besides, if you have a problem, all you need to do is PM the Mod and ask her/him why (s)he is doing what (s)he is doing. Most Mods that I talked to around here are quite nice and polite. :)

Sorry, I just had to get this out of my system. No offense meant to anybody. :)

Aunecah

P.S. I am not replying to anyone's post in particular. :)

22. wadda_u_know

wadda_u_know Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 29, 2000
    Let's not automatically assume being helpful and concerned for the greater welfare of the boards equates to wanting to be a mod or an ass-kisser.

By the same token, can everyone who disagrees with the mods not be classified as a slacker? Please?

23. KitFist0

KitFist0 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2001
    Great Idea !
    I think a mod should make a sticky thread called "Got a problem ? Come here to find out what to do !" or something like that and have links to the solution threads like this ;)

24. Mal

Mal Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 4, 2000
    Who the hell is using my user name? The user named Mal who posted at 11:46am, 11:43am and 11:39am including the post made earlier in this thread is not me.

25. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I verify that.

Will check up on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.