'Soccer' Global Daily

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by CmndrCodi2, Mar 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CmndrCodi2 Jedi Knight

Good day fans of the beautiful game!

This is the place for all you neglected sports fans to discuss the only sport with a true World Champion!

Topics that are "o.k":

~Teams (PL, MLS, Serie A, LPF, ect.)
    ~Moves (fancy footwork!)
    ~Managers (Rafa B. is going soon, I can feel it!)
    ~Players (I personally like Zlatan)

I'll try to update this daily, like the subjuct says, but I'm really busy.

NEWS:

-PL:
    Man U 1-0 Derby County
  2. Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost

star 7
  3. rechedelphar Force Ghost

star 6
    It would be nice if this thread stayed clear of Premier league talk because that is what the thread in the JCC is pretty much for.
  4. CmndrCodi2 Jedi Knight

I did not see that thread, I'm new here. I think that this thread should include the PL because it is a major part of the football universe. We're going to have to contact the Council.
  5. Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost

star 7
    what's the JCC have to do with The Arena?

should we delete the baseball threads in this forum because of the MLB thread in the JCC?
  6. Kyptastic VIP

star 5
    When the Arena was started, in order to make it acceptable to the JCC, it was understood that threads on the same sports would and could exist in both forums, much the same way that the Amphitheatre and JCC have some crossover.

Good to see a soccer thread in the Arena though, as we haven't had much success in keeping one active. Hope this changes the trend [face_peace]
  7. George_Roper Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    WTH!?!?!?! [face_skull]

EDIT: also RICHARDSON'S last post in the thread deserved a lol. [face_plain]
  8. rechedelphar Force Ghost

star 6

I'm just saying that there is a whole world of soccer outside the Premier league.
  9. Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager

star 6
    Lol.

Well, my knowledge extends only as far as the European Leagues, and competitions like the Champion's League and the UEFA Cup. Suppose we could talk about that here rather than the Premier League.
  10. rechedelphar Force Ghost

star 6
    yeah that's what Im referring too. Like Serie A or La Liga
  11. Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager

star 6
  12. CmndrCodi2 Jedi Knight

Those are included
  13. CmndrCodi2 Jedi Knight

UPDATES:

Serie A (Italy):

Inter 2 - 1 Palermo

Inter stays on top of the table!

La Liga (Spain):

feel free to add stuff here

Bundesliga (Germany):

Bayern München 0 - 2 Energie Cottbus

#1 loses to #18 XD
  14. CmndrCodi2 Jedi Knight

Until we get the issue of the PL sorted out, I'll just give PL updates:

Man U 2 - 0 Bolton
    Ronaldo is 3 goals away from teh all-time PL record!

What do you think will happen if Christiano Ronaldo breaks the record?
  15. rechedelphar Force Ghost

star 6
    Sampdoria 1, AC Milan 0

AC Milan looses ground on Fiorentina for 4th place and Sampdoria is within 1 point of AC Milan for 5th
  16. CmndrCodi2 Jedi Knight

PL:

Chelsea 2 - 1 Arsenal
    The Gunners are finally off Man U's back! UNITED!!!!

Newcastle 2 - 0 Fulham
    Looks like Fulham's hopes of remaining in the PL have been ruined, while King Kev's boys have their first win since their new manager joined

Man U 3 - 0 Liverpool
    The title is ours!!!!!
  17. yankee8255 Chosen One

star 6
    Looks like Ronaldinho is set to move to AC Milan. Hope he doesn't have his hopes set on Champions League, though, because Milan probably won't be there next year, after losing to Juve. They're now 4 points behind the final CL spot.

PS: Given that mos tof the Premiership fans post in the YJCC thread, and have shown a (understandable) lack of interest in posting elsewhere, I thinkt makes sense to have this thread focus on other leagues, esp. Spain, Italy, Germany, etc. Plus MLS.

For the EURO, I assume we'll start an extra thread.
  18. Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager

star 6
    So Man Utd are the champions of Europe. What do the non-English among us feel about this? When teams like Real Madrid etc win it it's a case of, "Good for them but I'm not bothered, really" for me. I rate them as a good team but I'm always thinking, "We'll win it next year". Do other users feel the same?

Also, what do you think of the general dominance of English clubs in the Champs League lately? A good thing, or bad for the sport?
  19. DarthIntegral Game Winner

Game Winner
    star 7
    The fact that it was Man U vs. Chelsea actually grabbed my attention, something that never happens for a soccer game.

So, I read some of the previews, wasn't able to see the game, but caught the highlights on SportsCenter. Ending with penalty kicks in a deciding game just left a bad taste in my mouth. Doesn't quite seem ... right, you know?

But, anyways, to your question, I think my response above shows you how good this was for the league. It got me interested in it. I think the dominance is a good thing, as it gives someone who's a casual viewer or a casual fan something to latch onto: they know that x is supposed to happen, so they can prepare for it, and define an early rooting interest accordingly. Here, they know the English clubs are supposed to win and dominate the Champs League. Hence, a casual fan can either root against that happening by hoping for upsets, or pick from among the English teams for a chance to follow a club that might do well.

I'm honestly trying to get into soccer. I feel I'm an incomplete sports fan without at least giving it a full, honest try.
  20. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    I feel like a need to take a 10 week course to understand the whole leagues thing and how they all relate and interrelate.
  21. Darth_Omega Force Ghost

star 6
    Neither its just another day in the world of football.

In the history of the CL there was always a period where a team or country dominated the entire thing. The only reason why the English domination is such a big deal is simply because the British media overhyped the entire thing in grand proportions and other nations (especially English speaking ones) followed suit. I for one cannot recall a hype during the all Spanish final of 99/00 nor during all Italian final of 02/03.

Now I admit I'll be worried if the English teams still dominate the entire thing in a decade or so. :p
  22. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    I feel like a need to take a 10 week course to understand the whole leagues thing and how they all relate and interrelate.

I'm not sure that would be long enough for me :p

I know the sport, having played it for a while, though thats years ago now. But all the leagues? Don't know them at all.
  23. rechedelphar Force Ghost

star 6
    Well pretty much every country has a league. The big leagues are The English Premier League, Spanish La Liga, Italian Serie A and German Bundeslig (maybe a notch below the other 3). Then there a variety of other leagues that may have 2 or 3 good teams like the French League, portugese, Dutch, Russia etc... Each league has its own season. In the premier league, Seie A and La liga the top 2 teams qualify automatically for the Champoions League gropu stage and spots 3 and 4 go to the 3rd qualifying round, which they will compete in the next year.

That's just a short tidbit.

edit: I think English teams appela more to Americans that Spanish or Italian. Everyone was talking about the game today, even redneck radio hosts who no nothing about soccer. I have never heard such talk about previous CL finals
  24. Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager

star 6
    England - USA tonight!! I hope you're looking forward to a good whoopin', English style, America :p
  25. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    Thanks, rech. I think this further goes to show the need for the "learn about sports" thread :p

Oh, and *waits to laugh about unlikely upset* ;)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.