main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:SA [Social Event] SAFF's STAR WARS Marathon & Barbeque

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Darth_Rhadei, Nov 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi-Wan_Toddi

Obi-Wan_Toddi Former SAFF CR star 6

Feb 7, 2005
    Indeed! ;) :cool:

2. _Master-Skywalker_

_Master-Skywalker_ Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 30, 2005
    ESB was the best SW movie ;)

3. Darth_Meanders

Darth_Meanders Jedi Master star 5

May 23, 2004
    I didn't even ask. Someone dropped a USB drive on my desk ;) But a few CW episodes and some Fan Films would be a good afternoon.

4. Darth_Rhadei

Darth_Rhadei Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 15, 2008
    I try not to be so open about such things.

5. Obi-Wan_Toddi

Feb 7, 2005
    I think I'd prefer ROTS over ESB currently. But as the past few have said, CW episodes + fanfilms would be cool.

6. Sabre_11

Sabre_11 Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 1, 2005
    ROTS! Even better! I said ESB to keep the oldies happy. Appears I was wrong! :D

7. Obi-Wan_Toddi

Feb 7, 2005
    You underestimate the powerrrrr of the over 30s! ;) :p

8. oz_skipp

oz_skipp Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 2004
    Would you believe I posted one of the first messages on this thread last night...but fell asleep as I wrote it and forgot to hit send...doh!

Anyhoo, I'll summarise what I initially wrote and keep it short(ish):

- I had a similar idea a couple of years ago...I think it's great!...
    - ...except, 6 films + clone cartooons, never minding the new ones, would be ~14 hours...
    - ...which means having it at AHS would be uncomfortable in those chairs.
    - Social events, a few fan films/cartoon, even one film would be good...
    - ...even splitting the trilogy into two would be fun.
    - If the masses want a 6 film marathon, a house with beanbags, chairs, pizza, curry ;) softies and other favoured bevvies would be good...
    - ...as would a projector and decent sound system :D

Anyway, just a few thoughts. I think a 'venue' is fine for some fun and bbq and fanfilms and stuff, but for something requiring this much stamina and attention, a house would be best. FWIW, I've been aiming to do a 6 film effort + clone cartoons by myself (stocked with pizza, caffeine and Coopers) for a while, but haven't had the time and / or initiative for a while.

I'll be watching this thread with interest... ;)

9. Darth_Rhadei

Mar 15, 2008
    We're not going to be shut up in the building all day, lol. We can have "Intermissions" for like half hour or something.
    Kicking the footy around, cricket etc etc - They DO have an oval that doesnt ban choclate eggs to be used as baseballs XD

10. oz_skipp

Apr 20, 2004
    But as I (and others I think) have said, if you want a full on marathon, a house would be much more comfy. Even if people did bring beanbags or cushions, there's nowhere to put them other than the aisles up the sides, which wouldn't be particularly conducive to optimal viewing.

The idea of spending 14 hours in a lecture theatre with those sort of seats...*shudder* Even I wouldn't make my students do that ;)

11. _Master-Skywalker_

Apr 30, 2005
    with families attending we could potentially have 20-30 people, we would need someone with a very very large loungeroom to pull that off, & they would need a big back yard for activities too ;) I think Adelaide High is probably the best I can think of to accommodate that.

12. oz_skipp

Apr 20, 2004
    Fair point too. I'm not completely bagging the idea, but I'd definitely bring cushions :)

13. Evil_Rex

Evil_Rex Jedi Youngling star 1

May 6, 2006
    Suggestion. If you go down the AHS path, perhaps see if their DRAMA room is free?

Then people can bring the beanbags/comfy chairs etc. They should have a portable screen, projector and laptops abound, either theirs or ours, or even bring the DVD to hook up! In fact I get a new laptop shortly! [face_dancing]

Another suggestion is someone's house, back yard with the beanbags and equipment set up. Ie, we could accommodate maybe 20 people, and there is a part not far with swings. You can always use shed walls as places to project against. I know I maybe able to get a portable projector if it is not at use at the confirmed time.

Split into a series of events would be good. That way the social events will cover the black hole we currently have!

14. SAFFcam

SAFFcam Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 21, 2008
    that sounds like a great idea

15. _Master-Skywalker_

Apr 30, 2005
    Jan 17th/18th is a no go for AHS,

but

any of these dates are fine:

10th/11th Jan
    24th/25th
    31st/1stFeb

lets try to nail one down asap & then we won't run the risk of someone else getting that date...it's only $50 hire which divided up is b%88# all. We can have all the rooms we did last time, so it's our choice which room/s we use.

16. jabbathenutt

jabbathenutt Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2005
    31st/1stFeb
    so when will the open day be then??
    2 weeks later :p ??????? LOL

try not to forget we have an annual beach day also which is usually in January :D

17. leektar

leektar Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2008
    and 24th/25th is Australia Day long weekend on my calendar - are people going away??

18. _Master-Skywalker_

Apr 30, 2005
    so many social occasions, what ever to do :p

19. Darth_Rhadei

Mar 15, 2008
    I'd like to go for January 10th, its early and still in the holidays without really interfering with other major events.

Drama room would be a great idea. However a shed projection during the day? Uhm, yeah - I somehow see a small light problem. Unless theres a 14 hour eclipse, or unless you meant INSIDE - then possibly - but it may get a tad hot if its not insulated.

I was under the impression Open Day wasn't until the same time me and cho signed up. May sometime.
    o_O

I personally would agree with Master Skywalker that AHS would be the better option. If we have the entire lot of what we had during open day, then we can easily accomidate beanbags and chairs etc (Perhaps not in the lecture room but I'm sure there are areas we can use)

As for projectors, I somehow doubt the school will allow the use of education department property. However a laptop is no problem. I can bring along mine which also has a blue ray player built in. As long as there is a powerpoint nearby, we're all set.
    SPEAKERS however will be an issue unless they already have the speaker units hooked to the projector.

20. oz_skipp

Apr 20, 2004
    My previous workplace has a brilliant room very similar to that of AHS but bigger, newer and with tiered seating where you could bring beanbags and the like. It's really quite good and also in the CBD. I could put you in touch with the right people if you want to have a look.

My current work has about 20+ rooms with projectors but the one at the old joint trumps them all.

I still reckon that a house would be better. He'll, given two days work, I could set up our back room pretty well for something like this for 20 or more people...

21. oz_skipp

Apr 20, 2004
    Ooh, I just remembered we do have one huge room with a proj at my current work....with an awesome sound system by BOSE... ;)

22. Sabre_11

Sabre_11 Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 1, 2005
    BOSE!!

=P~

I recently got to try the new headphones they've brought out, and I'd have to say I've never had an eargasm like that before. Whoa.

23. jabbathenutt

May 28, 2005
    D_R, our open day is/was held BEFORE the R4L to help raise funds for the cancer council :)

and seeing as the relay is in march...... are you thinking what i'm thinking??? [face_thinking]

[face_laugh] [face_laugh]

24. Darth_Rhadei

Mar 15, 2008
    I think I am B2! Its HUNGRY JACKS TIME... Wait, what?

25. jabbathenutt

May 28, 2005
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

someone's been watching childrens shows again....

( i have kids :p )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.