main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Roch, NY Social Thread

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Mara-Jade-Skywalker, Dec 23, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mara-Jade-Skywalker

Mara-Jade-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 21, 2000
    Hey everyone, I thought this might be a good place for all of us who haven't met yet to get to know each other. :)

2. CaptainAlex1

CaptainAlex1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 19, 2001
    Hi there..my name is Alex, and I've been collecting for about 2 years now. I really enjoyed Star Wars as a child, and it has carried into the present. I'm mostly into collecting the 3 3/4 figures, but if the price is right, or if the sculpt is cool I'll pick up a 12 inch figure. I think Rochester is a great place to be a collector due to the amount of stores we have in the region, plus the shows at Village Gate make it easier to get those hard to find items. Well that's al for now...
    -Alex

3. STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB

STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB Jedi Master star 4

May 27, 2001
    Good idea. My name is Jeffrey Buholtz. I am 26, Born in 1975. I have lived in Rochester all my life. I work for Cooper Vision. I am an average movie fan like a lot of people. I am into Sci Fi in General. My main Sci Fi interest is of Course Star Wars. Another is Japanese Sci Fi, which I have loved since I was about 4 and even more as an adult. This includes Animated as well as live action Productions. My favorite is Godzilla. I am not sure which I like better Japanese Monster movies or Star Wars. I also like other forms of Anime other than Sci Fi. My favorite Anime so far is Ranma 1/2 and Gundam 079. As far as Star Wars goes I am a a big all around fan and am really into the whole Fandom thing. Since I was only about 3 when I saw the film the first time, I was a late bloomer as far as being a fan. I was just to young for it the first time around. It was not untill I rediscovered Star Wars as a teen ager, that I really became a big fan. HBO and a cheap Kmart set of the films turned me into a Star Wars junky at about the same time the new Star Wars market campaign started. All the Drama and story of the films made me the big fan I am, not so much as the Sci Fi and action part. Besides being a Fan, I am a crazy collector. I do not go out and just buy stuff because it has Star Wars on it, it just looks that way. I really do only buy what I really like. It just happens to be all kinds of really crazy stuff. I am into the Hasbro stuff like most fans, but my main love is promo items, which can mean a million different kinds of things. I like stuff that is dated. Stuff that is limited to a certain time and or place. I am also into trading cards and novelties such as candy containers and school supplies. I am also into most of the Books and some of the comics. Besides star wars, I collect some Japanese stuff such as Bandai Godzilla figures. If anyone wants to ever hang out and talk star wars or just watch some movies, any movies, my door is always open and I am always interested in meeting new people and making new friends.

4. TheEmperorsHand

TheEmperorsHand Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 27, 2000
    good idea! well, then my name is Alison and i'm 14. i got interested in Star Wars when TPM came out, but i actually saw the Trilogy before going the see TPM, so the Trilogy is of course my favorite. Mara-Jade-Skywalker is my 15 year old sister. We both go to Mercy High School. um.. what else... oh yea, we both have recently discovered Harry Potter and love that movie and those books as well. We also hope to be able to get together with all of you sometime int he future, but age and parents are kind of stopping that from happening now. i'm curious (i know it's not until May) but what are we doing for the release of AOTC?

5. Mara-Jade-Skywalker

Aug 21, 2000
    :) oh goody people are posting here. :D anyways, I'm Nicky and EH is my sister. Umm... most of what she said applies for me as well. ;) AOTC comes out the day before my birthday so I'm really happy about that. EH, I think I heard something about meeting at Tinseltown. That would be a little inconvenient for us, though, because we live in Webster. :)

6. wookie_cookie

wookie_cookie Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 22, 2001
    Hi everyone,
    I'm Erica, I'm 24. I live in Wayne County, but there isn't a Way. Co board, so I thought Rochester was closest.

I've been collecting SW since this summer. Mostly 3/4 figs and some 12". And mostly stuff on clearance or new stuff!

Can't wait to see AOTC in a few months!

7. CaptainAlex1

Dec 19, 2001
    Wookie Cookie has made an interesting point. The clearence of a ton of the SW items a few months after episode one made it a lot easer to collect then it would have been if Hasbro didn't flood the market with those items. The only bad part about it besides seeing the same figures on the shelves for the longest time is that the later waves of figures in the Episode 1 waves such as TC-14, Holo Sidus, blue artoo unit, etc, and the later Commtech figures: Motti, Leia, R2, were near impossible to fond in many areas of the country. But you gotta love those sales. Why pay full price when you don't have to...
    -Alex

8. Padawan_adri

Padawan_adri Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 14, 2001
    I'm Adrienne, I'm 14 and live in Irondiquoit. I have been colecting since about 1999. I have mostly 12" figures. I don't have a favorite movie, but I realy love Obi-wan. I'm looking forward to AOTC, and the figures that will come with it. Thats all for now.

-Adrienne

9. Mara-Jade-Skywalker

Aug 21, 2000
    *sigh* EH is off pounding away on her drum set again. anyways, we're not really into collecting, mainly because of a lack of money to spend on Star Wars stuff. We do have quite a bit of a collection that we've gathered over the past few years, though... :)

10. Padawan_adri

Sep 14, 2001
    I know exactly how you feel most of the figures I have are gifts, because I use any extra money on books and CDs. So I look for deals.

11. TheEmperorsHand

Aug 27, 2000
    exactly the same with us (i hope I hurt your ears, mara :p ) we have a lot of star wars books and the soundtracks, and all the ep1 posters (and several booklets of classic trilogy page-size posters i found in DC) we don't have many igures at all though. our little brother has almost all the star wars lego kits though ;)

12. CaptainAlex1

Dec 19, 2001
    Well I was in Toys R Us in Greece today and they have some major deals..they got back in some the beast figures (Jabba/Han, Jawa/Rotto, and Luke,Taun) for 4.98 each. They had an A-Wing and Vader fighter for the same price. The had a ton of the micromachine prototype sets for 1.98 each. They have some green carded figures swuch as snowtroopers, vaders, sandtrooper, Palpatines, royal guards, etc for 1.98 each. They are some, not many micromachine sets for 1.98. Also there are the gold coin figures of 3PO and Palpatine for 1.98. No sighns on the newest wave though, but go out and shop for deals..they maybe having it out in the other Toys R Us by Marketplace.
    -Alex

P.S.-Stopped over by the toy store on Dewey and Stone and his prices are no bargin.

13. Mara-Jade-Skywalker

Aug 21, 2000
    hey, is Darth_Potter from Rochester? I saw him post in another thread...
    anyways, lets see, what else do EH and I have in our SW collection...oh yeah, we have most of the Epi 1 Pepsi cans. we have 3 figures as well, I think... :)

Has anyone seen LOTR? EH and I are thinking of seeing it.

14. jedi_lingster

jedi_lingster Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 2, 2001

I'm John Ling, 33, live near Charlotte. Own a house, have a wife, 2 dogs, and a couple cars.

I like anything Star Wars, and will only collect certain things. I don't have enough money to buy everything that comes out. I'm most into the 4" figs and some of the ships. I also do some custom work on figs and have recently started major custom work as far as articulating arms and wrists. I just finished up a custom fig of Bannis Kegg (?) Not sure if I got his name spelled correctly. He's Duros' pilot friend that is shown in the movie for a split second.

I started back during the ?first wave? of star wars stuff, way back in ?77. My parents would only buy me 1 Storm Trooper. They said: ?Why would you want another one? You?ve got one already.? Picture Han and Chewie next to a crashed Falcon, somewhere on ?bedworld?. The Empire starts to attack them by coming over the pillow hills. ONE at a TIME. Bang! He?s dead. Look! Here comes another one! Bang!.. etc. etc.

Well, NOW, that I?m older, I can have that same conflict, but I now have 30+ stormtroopers to come over that ?pillow hills?. No more easy shots for Han and Chewie now?.

I have a few figs from the old era still, around 20 or so. I had stopped getting them shortly after ESB. I have an original Falcon, X-Wing, Vader?s TIE, TIE, Slave one, land speeder, Snow Speeder, and Troop Transport. I also have the two Hoth playsets, and the Deathstar Playset. The sounds work on the two TIES, and I?m going to attempt to open up the Falcon and get her sounds working once again. The TIE?s only had dirty contacts on the motor. The Snow Speeder is still the best ship in my collection as she still sounds off as if right out of the box, and still flashes it?s lights, it?s the cooler one. The TIE?s sound is dorky nowadays, but back then it was awsome. I also have to get the Troop Transport to work as well. She?s also got the dirty contact problem. If I can get that record inside going again?.

As far as prized pieces in my collection go, it?d have to be the Deathstar Playset, and the Snow Speeder. Of course I?ll add the Troop Transport once it starts working again. The other non action fig related item that is prized is my Record of the Movie soundtrack released on picture disk back in ?77. The record (Gasp what?s that?) is an old 78 rpm thing that is clear with a picture of C-3P0 and R2-D2 on one side, and Darth Vader on the other. Very cool and very expensive if you wanted to get one of your own.

Other non-starwars stuff: If it's a Durango, I'm there. If it's a Chevy Nomad, I'm there. One day to own a Durango again. I play D&D over at Millennium every other Friday night, next session on the 11th. I've seen the new LOTR movie twice and will probably see it again. it differs slightly from the books, and no prior knowledge of the books is needed.

Drop a line if?n you?d like. E-mail is in my bio.

15. TheEmperorsHand

Aug 27, 2000
    well, sounds like you've got a pretty good collection going there ;)
    [face_laugh] lol to the 1 Stormtrooper thing. ;)
    well we haven't read LOTR before, so we're hoping we won't be too confused when we do see it :)

16. Padawan_adri

Sep 14, 2001
    I saw LOTR yesterday I liked it a lot. They did very on the special effects. The story line is good as well. My favorite character is Legolas Greenleaf he is an archer, and a really good shot. I hope you like it too.

17. TheEmperorsHand

Aug 27, 2000
    did you read the book before seeing it? because we havent read the books and im hoping to not be confused ;)

18. Padawan_adri

Sep 14, 2001
    I read The Hobbit first but not The Fellowship of the Ring. My dad however did. He said that he felt disappointed because, they had to take out parts of the book. Even if you don?t read the books first I don?t think you will get confused. If you read the books after you see LOTR it may be easier to read, because you are already interested.

19. Paul_B

Paul_B Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 27, 2001
    Hi..

My name is Paul and I'm a prop-aholic! Heh heh... some of you have had the tour of my home recently after the DVD party and can vouch for my numerous saber hilts and toy collection.

I just turned 28. I'm married and I have a dog named Laika.

Other than that... I'm simply a quiet guy who enjoys being a geek.

Later-
    PB

20. TheEmperorsHand

Aug 27, 2000
    hi Paul! prop collection sounds cool ;)

well.... we saw FOTR today! i loved it! it was a very good movie and im surprised that i didnt get too confused ;) and I managed to keep the names straight. i just hate how movies end like that though! now i have to read the books! :)

21. Bigger_Fish

Bigger_Fish Jedi Youngling

May 27, 2001
    Howdy, my name is Jeff, I'm 31 (with the toys of a ten-year old), and I live in Greece, NY with my girlfriend Michelle and no pets (except for the dustbunnies trapped under the bed). I know a couple of the guys that regularly post here (hey Paul & SWFreak!). I mostly collect Star Wars POTF2 & POTJ 3 3/4" figures & vehicles and Playmates Simpsons figures, and can be seen lurking around the aisles of TRU in my free time (which is pretty much close to nothing these days - see the previous mention of my gf Michelle!)

22. TheEmperorsHand

Aug 27, 2000
    hi! you should post around here more ;) but then theres the free time thing..... :) well, enjoy yourself while you're here!

23. jedi_lingster

jedi_lingster Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 2, 2001
    Where in Greece you at? I'm on GreenLeaf Rd... 2nd House down.

24. Bigger_Fish

Bigger_Fish Jedi Youngling

May 27, 2001
    Hey Lingster, I live right across Ridge Rd. from the mall (convieniently close to Target). I'm in the Grecian Gardens apartment complex.

25. Mara-Jade-Skywalker

Aug 21, 2000
    mmmm...Legolas... ;) well, I thought the movie was pretty good, but i didn't like how it ended. I want to know what happens!! but I'm too lazy to read the book. *sigh* I'll probably get around to reading it eventually.

btw, EH and I live in the middle of nowhere which is technically in Webster...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.