main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social vs. Thread: Social Thread v9.0

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by AdamBertocci, Aug 24, 2011.

1. AndyJarosz

AndyJarosz Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 2, 2009
    I'll just leave this here.

[image=http://i.imgur.com/iYD79.gif]

2. Sith-Man

Sith-Man Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 19, 2004
    New picture...
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/monkeyheadstudios/overlook2.jpg]
    Opinions? I'm happy with it.

3. Sith-Man

Oct 19, 2004
    Stupid windows! Is there a way to prevent it from automatically restarting without permission after updates? It did that during the night, and I lost a project that I spent hours on that I had rendering.

4. Cramer

Cramer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 18, 2004
    Which version of Windows?

5. Sith-Man

Oct 19, 2004
    Windows 7 ultimate...

6. Cramer

Jan 18, 2004
    Start -> Control Panel -> System Security & Settings -> Windows Update -> Change Settings -> Change the pulldown menu option to "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them." -> (I personally uncheck the option to allow all users to install updates, this way,if you log out and someone else logs in or a guest account, they can't cause your programs running on your account to stop because they are installing an update)(There are still many other ways a person can interrupt it, mind you, but this isn't important). -> Click Ok.

You shouldn't have this issue anymore with windows update being the culprit.

There are other ways that windows will tell itself to shutdown as well, if the issue is persistent then you may have something else.

7. Ricky_Calrissian

Ricky_Calrissian Jedi Master star 3

Nov 17, 2008
    This is dumb. Its great for some money, but honestly this makes no sense.
    http://www.slashfilm.com/disney-adding-avatar-attractions-theme-parks/

8. Cramer

Jan 18, 2004
    I Stumble!d upon this little video, I think this is a really fun idea and it seems to be very well executed, I'm sure this invites the opportunity for jerks or idiots to ruin the experience for others, but the concept itself is really intriguing.

13th Street - Interactive Horror Films

9. VaporTrail

VaporTrail Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    Yeah, I saw that video a while ago. It seems like something you'd catch at a theme park. The movie they used is rather gimmicky with the phone calls being made, it becomes less a movie and more a game.

Maybe there's other ways to do it, but I'd rather watch a good movie than interact with a gimmicky one.
    I mean seriously, the guy's coming to kill you and you're going to call your friend who isn't even there and ask what you should do? Meh.

10. Cramer

Jan 18, 2004
    I think it would be more fun as a netflix-able series or something of that likeness. I can see this being more fun outside the horror genre too.

11. Sith-Man

Oct 19, 2004
    I had an idea a while back about doing an interactive fan film in a choose your own adventure style, (the whole "to spare the sith go to page 2, to kill the sith, go to page 3" type of thing. It basically utilized dvd menus, when once the viewer reached a choice, the video would transition into a menu with the various options, clicking on the correct option would play the corresponding clip, and continue down that specific line.

I bought a camera last week, supposed to be delivered tomorrow. That'll be one of the things that I do, because I think it'd be fun. It would be downloaded as a dvd image, made with Encore... Of course that means I need to figure my way around Encore again. lol

I had scene a murder mystery series on youtube a long time ago that was kind of like that, with the links to the various choices as annotations on the video. Was fun, but you had the video load times to deal with. lol

12. TrowaGP02a

TrowaGP02a Jedi Master star 4

Dec 24, 2004
    Those people look enormous, or the mountain scaling is off. Otherwise it looks awesome.

13. Sith-Man

Oct 19, 2004
    Actually, I think it's the cameras perspective. With how the scene is set up, the people are about 40ish feet from the camera, and the ship is somewhere around three miles away from them. The mountain is standing strait up, and so are they. Not sure exactly why the cameras perspective is off, but the scene is set up right. lol

[edit]
    I toyed around with putting a few trees up on the mountain near them, but it made them look to small. lol

Here's last nights render. Took just under six hours to render.
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/monkeyheadstudios/AboveTheClouds.jpg]
    Something about the building bothers me, can't figure out what though. Other than that, I think it turned out awesomely.

14. Boter

Boter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2002
    Seems like it comes out too solidly. The Falcon is partially obscured by some clouds, a bit translucent; try softening up the cloud near the building a bit? Looks way too solid.

15. TrowaGP02a

Dec 24, 2004
    Your scene may be set up right but I don't think the material on the mountain is correct then, the scaling makes it look too large for how close it is to the camera.

16. R2-DK

R2-DK Jedi Master star 2

Apr 13, 2011
    When I first saw the thumbnail I thought it was a photograph of snow.

17. Sith-Man

Oct 19, 2004
    The terrain in the foreground has the exact same material as the terrain in the background. It's all one peace of terrain. I only painted the ecosystem onto the lower altitude parts though. I loaded the ship into the scene right next to the people, so I could scale it right, and before adding the trees to the lower parts, I added a few to the top part so I could make sure they were scaled accurately for the real life size of that species of trees, in relation to a six foot tall person. But like I said, it dwarfed the people, so I took them off from there. Everything is scaled correctly to real life proportions, it's just the angle of the camera that makes it look odd. I've taken pictures of people that were about 40 feet away, standing near trees, and with certain angles, it all seemed off. I'll go in and play with the camera a bit and render it out again to see if I can fix it.

Yeah, I was thinking that as well. Not sure why that is though, it's the same cloud as the falcon is going through. lol I was also thinking of the fact that it's a low res building in high res clouds. Kinda throws it off a bit as well...

lol

So, I now have a camera...

18. TrowaGP02a

Dec 24, 2004
    I'm just saying, IMO, even if the program says you're all "correct" with proportions, it doesn't LOOK right, and that's all that matters.

19. VaporTrail

May 19, 2002
    :eek:

....[face_thinking]

[face_mischief]

That's what she said.

I am so sorry.

20. TrowaGP02a

Dec 24, 2004
    Do not be sorry, it applies.

21. Sith-Man

Oct 19, 2004
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/monkeyheadstudios/Loftlan.jpg]

22. VaporTrail

May 19, 2002
    Alright, I'm torn.
    Lossless video format you use to render footage to have effects applied in AE (or other programs), then render out again to use in your editor.

I was thinking a .png image sequence or Quicktime, but it seems like those render out even larger than the .m2v source. So, I need advice please.

Aaaand go.

23. -Phi-

-Phi- Jedi Master star 3

Jun 27, 2002
  24. AndyJarosz

AndyJarosz Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 2, 2009
    I know its semi-retarded, but I always do everything as uncompressed .mov until I absolutely have to compress. Premiere's .mp4 compression is amazing when it comes to that.

25. TrowaGP02a

Dec 24, 2004
    I always do uncompressed animation or png/tif until the very end (not counting proxy renders).