main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social vs. Thread: Social Thread v9.0

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by AdamBertocci, Aug 24, 2011.

1. AndyJarosz

AndyJarosz Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 2, 2009
    [image=http://cache.blippitt.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Popcorn-01-Michael-Jackson.gif]

2. Ricky_Calrissian

Ricky_Calrissian Jedi Master star 3

Nov 17, 2008
    ^LIKE.

3. Sith-Man

Sith-Man Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 19, 2004
    The never care about it, they just claim rights to it, and put ads up. The worst that's ever happen was a video being taken down, which is only because the trailer hadn't actually been released when I put it up. They already took action claiming it as theirs the moment I uploaded it.

4. VaporTrail

VaporTrail Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    I almost never watch trailers on the net. Go to Dave's, yo.

5. TrowaGP02a

TrowaGP02a Jedi Master star 4

Dec 24, 2004
    I used to like Dtheatre.com, but they kinda died.

6. AndyJarosz

AndyJarosz Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 2, 2009
  7. Sith-Man

Sith-Man Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 19, 2004
    Randomly found this today.
    Linky!!!

8. VaporTrail

May 19, 2002
    Nice outfits in that trailer.
    It seems to be your usual overly-dramatic fanfilm, but the costumes at minimum make this worth a watch. I know people have been wanting a proper KotoR film for years.

And have I been pronouncing Darth Revan wrong, or are they?

BreakininMiguel likes this.
  9. Boter

Boter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2002
    You have been, apparently. It's pronounced in-game, man. How have you been pronouncing it?

10. VaporTrail

May 19, 2002
    I think Darth 'Rehvahn', not 'Revin' like they did. I've never heard it because I've never played more than the first level of KotoR II and haven't touched I at all.
    [ducks]

11. Boter

Jul 8, 2002
    Welp, I know what to force down your throat next time you tell me you're bored and looking for a game to play.

12. HSJFILM

HSJFILM Jedi Master star 2

Jul 6, 2005
    so Canon just got owned

13. Boter

Jul 8, 2002
    How's that? They just announced a sweet new camera. It's far too expensive and I'll definitely be getting a Sony NEX-VG20 when camera buying time rolls around, but I wouldn't say that they got owned.

14. Psilaef_Zeias

Psilaef_Zeias Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 17, 2006
    Perhaps he just purchased one, debt free. [face_thinking]

15. HSJFILM

Jul 6, 2005
    Because RED had the pressconference a mere hour later. 4k filming up to 25 fps, for (workable) UNDER $14k, while Canon's EOS C300 with 1080p video and 720p overcrank(Dissapointing) will sell for $20.000

Realy now, the choice wouldnt be that hard.

16. ElectroFilms

ElectroFilms Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2007
    Canon is a day late and a dollar short to say the least.
    Their product is basically dead on arrival.

17. HSJFILM

Jul 6, 2005
    Yeah, they shoould've just showed the prototype 4k DSLR that was there (they didnt go indepth on it, just anounced it)

If they can bring that out for under 10k, they've got a strong contestant for a RED Scarlet beater.

I'm still thinking about ordering a EPIC, but I put a deposit down on the Scarlet for now.

18. Boter

Jul 8, 2002
    Okay, I admittedly hadn't heard about the Red announcement. Still, I'd wager the Canon will hit the market first, which will be a huge boon for it.

19. -Spiff-

-Spiff- Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2005
    Scarlet starts shipping next month. Canon not until 2012. That said, I suspect Canon will do higher on the volume front.

It's not all bad news for Canon. While Scarlet trumps Canon's offerings on specs and price, Scarlet comes by default with the Canon EOS lens mount. I think this was a smart choice by Red, since the Canon DSLRs have become fairly ubiquitous in the independent video market. This ought to drive up or at least maintain the demand for Canon lenses, which I suspect have significantly higher markups than cameras.

Still, $10k is too much for most of us to spend on a camera. I'm far more interested in the Canon 4K DSLR, and it's only a matter of time until that technology drifts down to the 5D series and then the Rebel series. All good news for the customer.

IMHO, none of these cameras are cheap enough to touch the market occupied by the 5D, 7D and T3i. For now, those cameras are "good enough." My next camera will be a DSLR with a Canon mount that shoots either 1080p without aliasing artifacts, or a 4K RAW camera that does the same. I will pay <$3000 for this camera. I may have to wait a while, but my T2i will keep me going until then... the value for money in the video DSLR package is awesome.

-Spiff

20. ElectroFilms

ElectroFilms Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2007
    I doubt many will specifically shop for New Canon glass because of it. Even most Canon DSLR users opt for Nikon glass with an adapter. I think it's going to be the same way. I do completely agree that Scarlet's mount was designed to steal some of the top of the Canon DSLR market.

The real mark-up is going on with older Manual lenses. (Focus/aperture, etc.)
    A lens that was worth $20, 5 years ago, is going for upwards of $150-$200.
    Supply and Demand I guess.

21. VaporTrail

May 19, 2002
    It's been interesting observing the shift. Just from my perspective, lenses seem to come up more in discussion circles that were previously dominated by resolution and codecs.

Spiff's "good enough" mentality is where I'm at. $1-3000 instead of $10,000+ sounds pretty good considering either way, you're going to be able to get some quality picture. That is, assuming you don't rely on the camera to do the camerawork for you. o_O

Though, bear in mind this is from a self-funded perspective. If I was starting a decent project with an equally decent budget, well.
    (However, it still amazes me that some Hollywood features have been shot on DSLRs and look totally great.)

22. HSJFILM

Jul 6, 2005
    It's not a "good enough" mentality. It's a "Good for what I work with."
    The reason I ordered a scarlet is because I shoot alot of commercial work. Sometimes for a local theater.

Plus, I just like new toys.

I'll still use my 7D, because every camera has a different purpose.

23. -Spiff-

-Spiff- Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2005
    To be clear, I have zero ambition to make any money shooting video. If I had to make a living at it, I would have a long hard look at the tools out there, and probably gravitate towards something like the Scarlet. For purely hobby videos and family use, the pricier cameras just can't be justified for the use they'd get.

-Spiff

24. VaporTrail

May 19, 2002
    That makes sense, Wes. So, while I would prefer some sort of career involving editing or videography, it's not likely to be self-employed. I need a camera good enough to show what I'm capable of and have me ready to work with whatever equipment is out there, but I have no intention of funding my own production at this stage.

So, DSLR is what's making the most sense for me unless or until a greater video camera of similar cost comes out. I'm still drooling over the RED specs, but I can't in any way justify it.
    At least, not beyond "Cuz I want it!" :p

25. Penitio

Penitio Jedi Master star 3

May 11, 2002
    - I find it amusing that ten years ago the mentality was, you don't use your digital photography camera as a video camera. My how the times have changed.