main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SOE's Tyranny is over, all hail Bioware

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by admrikerr, Mar 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. admrikerr

admrikerr Jedi Youngling

Mar 20, 2006
    Im not going into any details as I dont want any hints to my sources but here goes....

LA pulled the license from SOE. The rumors about February were dead right. SOE was allowed time to transition players (how much is unknown) to their other station pass games. Thats why they stopped selling SWG prepaid cards.

Publish 28, if it gets done will be the last publish to the game. There is a minimal support staff now working on it. Its purely cosmetic changes to keep existing players subscribing

Bioware did indeed gain rights to develop a second version of SWG. It wont be called SWG2. Its not a completely new game but rather a reworking of existing code. Bioware is currently hiring a large team to work on the game and prefer experience with SWG. Pre-cu is a plus

The focus groups information was handed basically directly to Bioware. Some of the questions, like a KOTOR experience were hints to you folks as to who was behind it.

My source or sources only stated what they know. They didnt speculate on how long development would take. No clue on the rumors if its tied into a television show. No clues on pre-cu, cu, etc. And finally, no clue on an announcement or what SOE will say about this.

I trust this source's info 100%. Believe what you will but it looks like SOE's tyranny is over

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion.cfm/load/forums/loadforum/433/loadthread/71629/setstart/1/loadclass/103

2. Smuggler_4_Life

Smuggler_4_Life Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 22, 2005
    Not sure why this wasn't posted in the existing Galaxies thread, but...

.....this could be interesting. I had wanted to participate in the focus group when they came through the L.A. area, but I already had a meeting that day so couldn't join in on the fun.

We'll see if this actually pans out, but considering the bad press that SOE has had since the NGE, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if this actually happens. Also, this explains why the devs have been so quiet lately.... they don't want to report on their impending demise! It's funny that they released a long-term plan recently that listed all of the things they had in mind for the next 10 publishes, though (does this mean the smuggler revamp will never arrive?!)

At this point, any change would probably be positive change, though. The NGE was supposed to make the game fresh and exciting in order to attract the more casual players. Unfortunately, all it did was alienate the veteran community and generate little to no excitement amongst their supposed target.

Me, I'll probably keep playing until a) they pull the plugs on the servers, or b) they raise the hardware requirements past what my poor humble computer can handle. Might be a good excuse to upgrade, though!

3. Kish

Kish Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 12, 2004
    I will believe it when I see it.

Bioware has no expierence in the Massivley Multiplayer genre, and it's no simple task to just pick up and run a MMOG. Especially a MMOG that is already as crappy as SWG is.

They would have a much better time making KOTOR 3, and devolping it completely instead of releasing it before it was early.(LIke KOTOR2)

4. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost star 5

Nov 23, 2002
    BioWare didn't develop KOTOR II so you can't fault them for releasing it early, although to be fair to Obsidian there was a lot of external pressure to get the game out by Christmas 2004

5. Uncle_Owen_Kenobi

Uncle_Owen_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 7, 2001
  6. Smuggler_4_Life

Smuggler_4_Life Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 22, 2005
    Ah well.... it was fun to speculate about anyway.

Time to get back to counting the days until Publish 31!

7. kkennedy3

kkennedy3 Jedi Master

May 3, 2004
    EDIT: Hah, I hadn't seen that stuff on the official BioWare forums. Ah well, it still is fun to speculate...I was just starting to get my hopes up too, lol

While, I'll admit that this is just a rumor like all the others....this one has more credibility to it then any of the other ones.

It is 100% fact that BioWare is opening a studio in Austin and that BioWare is going to be making an MMO. Its also fact that BioWare has hired Richard Vogel and Gordon Walton to head their team (should ring a bell to the SWG vets)....those 2 people worked for SOE, and are the people that had a lot to do with the pre-CU/CU versions of galaxies.

Another thing to note, is that from what I've heard SOE has stopped selling their SWG game cards....seems a little bit weird, no?

So, does that mean that SOE is done, and BioWare are making a SWG2? No. But I think its a possibility for sure. Remember how the first word of the NGE came about on the SWG official forums? Yeah, some guy posted that his uncles brothers friend knew a guy at SOE....and before you know it, *poof* here came the NGE.

8. Kish

Jul 12, 2004
    Well, the BioWare post didn't neccesarily say that the rumors are completely untrue... Maybe?

9. Uncle_Owen_Kenobi

Uncle_Owen_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 7, 2001
    "Looks to me like teh same poster said teh same thing on 3 different sites. This doesn't make it true. "

Sounds like a denial to me. I guess this makes the fourth site that admrikerr has posted this on. Lol

10. Kish

Jul 12, 2004
    Ya! But... does it make it UNtrue? [face_thinking]

11. admrikerr

admrikerr Jedi Youngling

Mar 20, 2006
    More info from Austin

Okay this info isnt all 1st hand like my initial post so dont chop my head off if it isnt true. Here goes...

Its been talked about at a buffet and the hotel pool that Bioware employees were seen around SOE's studio in Austin. Apparently they were led around by some senior SOE employees. The Bioware employees included Vogel (sp?). One person said a joke about Vogel going to the "dark side" was made while there.

Many who've interviewed have been comparing notes around the hotel. Some people said that they were asked about relocating to Edmonton or Australia.

Also everyone there thinks that Bioware is hiring a lot more than 25 people. Thinking is at least a hundred and not all will be located in Austin. Edmonton and Australia have been mentioned to some in interviews.

Some think 2 projects are in the works, others think just one big one.

Remember folks, this isnt 1st hand but just stuff being talked about with many there

Interviews end this friday so I hope to have more info by then.

12. admrikerr

admrikerr Jedi Youngling

Mar 20, 2006
    Also it has been reported that stores like Best Buy, Gamestop, Walmart, etc are being asked to pull stock of the starter kit and send it back. Check your local store to see if you find the same thing happening.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion.cfm/load/forums/loadforum/433/loadthread/71798/setstart/1/loadclass/103

One report says that a new SWG box is coming in May priced at $59.99 and curious it isnt listed as a SOE product like previous SWG versions were.

Could be nothing it might be more proof

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.