main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

softimage problem

Discussion in 'Archive: Scifi 3D Forum' started by CalebLambert1, Jan 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CalebLambert1

CalebLambert1 Jedi Youngling

Dec 30, 2003
    Hey, im new to softimage and whenever i load it up, i always get a pop up saying something like,"this application requiers a desktop monitor resolution of 1028x1240, please set your montitor to that resolution" everytime i do that it never works,what do i do?

2. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    Does you video card support that resolution at high or true color? If not XSI will complain. Also your monitor has to support those resolutions or you may be asking for trouble. XSI, like other high end apps requires cards with good OpenGL support.

3. Lots

Lots Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    not to mention that 1024x768 is a small resolution to be doing any graphics work :p

then again im spoiled by a 3200x1200 desktop :)

4. Darksteps

Darksteps Jedi Youngling star 3

May 15, 2001
    3200x1200? sweet jesus... but I'm about to be spoiled a bit myself... I'll be dropping down to 1024x768 but I'll be doing so on the equivalent of a 50" monitor...

getting one of these...

Can't wait

can't offer any help with softimage since I've never used it... just replying to to the 3200 post...

Darksteps...

5. CalebLambert1

CalebLambert1 Jedi Youngling

Dec 30, 2003
    Whoa, thats a friggin big desktop,yea i got a 1024x768 desktop, but im gonna try to get a bigger monitor soon,i have ATI graphics card (my dad got it and personally i think ATI sucks for 3d graphics) I heard all these good things about GEforce so ill guess ill look up on that, but i have good openGL support and it still says the same thing when i load softimage, so i dont know what to do right now.

6. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    He is probably using a dual monitor with a virtual desktop. Nice.

Anyway, actually ATI cards are very good for 3D work, at least recent models (since the 7xxx series I would say). They have a better balance between 3D and 2D than NVidia offerings. They are big supporters of OpenGL so they have good support, though mostly on their pro cards and they did use to take a while to update drivers. While NVidia based ones may even have better performance than equivalent ATI ones I found the extra price you pay does not equate to the extra performance you pay (say you might pay 20% more for just 10% more performance).

Even ATI consumer cards are good enough. There is also another detail, if you get an All in Wonder you can capture video and then record back, so you could capture stuff for compositing and you can record your animations to VHS or something else.

If you are only concerned about 3D, then just get something like an ATI FireGL, a Wildcat from 3DLabs an NVidia Quadro based card.

Dropping down to 1024x768 is a bad idea, even is you project it on the side of your house. What's important is resolution. What you want is more screen real estate.

XSI uses quite a bit of screen real estate, even at 1200x1024 it feels a little cramped. 1600x1200 for XSI is more than enough (though you never can get enough resolution ;-). So be sure to get a bigger monitor, 19 in. at least.

7. Lots

Lots Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    yeah its dual monitors both at 1600x1200 on a geforce 4 ti 4600.. and let me tell you graphics progs look great at this res :)

here's a screen shot of lightwave the way it was meant to be run :p (both modeller and layout open)

[image=http://www.whisperingstatues.com/alf/32x12desktop.jpg]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.