main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Softly Calls the Darkside Sweetly (Jacen vignette)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by padawan lunetta, Feb 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. padawan lunetta

padawan lunetta Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 1999
    Author's Notes: Special thanks to Kidan and Inara for reading it over! I own no recognizeable characters...and can't explain where it comes from. ;)

Softly Calls the Darkside Sweetly

Sweetly calls the darkside to the troubled soul. Softly it chills the once warm heart. Slowly it envelops and smothers the once bright light of love, swiftly changing it to hate.

Jacen had once believed it did not exist.

But it was everywhere, lurking in the final death cry, singing in the laser bolts that pierce the heart, rejoicing in the hopelessness around it. This was no place for a Jedi Knight. Even more so, it was no place for a Jedi Knight to have caused. Jacen had caused so much death in his life; he could still hear his victims' cries in the night, leaving him to wonder how he, a Jedi, could afford to choose between one life and another.

And, laying before him, was his last victim. He was human, and didn't look more than sixteen years old. His younger brother had died at that age. Unbidden, an anguished cry escaped Jacen's lips, and he knelt next to the kid, watching as his pure brown eyes glazed over. He was as great a monster as the Vong, how many mothers had he left childless? Tears touched his eyes as he remembered his parent's anguish over Anakin's death. How could he do that to someone else, even the parents of the enemy?

Slowly a shadowed thought touched his mind, he could save this boy. He had all the power in the universe to save this boy. No one would suffer like he had. Jacen reached his hand out, pressing it to the boy's forehead and closing his eyes. Tapping into the vast powers of the Force, he slowly worked air into the boy's lungs, forcing him to breathe. Next he pumped the heart, one after another. Healthy color touched the boy's cheeks, his blue lips turned pink. His body was living!

But his eyes were dead.

Jacen was frustrated, wondering what he was doing wrong. The Force was all powerful, the darkside supposedly the most! The boy had gained a pulse, he was breathing, why wouldn't the glaze leave his eyes? Why wouldn't his mind awaken as his body had? Jacen pumped more Force into him, causing the boy to sit up.

Still the glaze. Still the emptiness of a soul passed on. The Darkside was doing nothing for him but mimicking life, meeting his needs in a hollow, halfway that left him wanting. Left him needing him more. He was almost certain that if he drew just enough power, the boy's eyes would light once more.

"Help me..."

Entrapped in the power of death, it took Jacen a moment to hear the sound of life. Jacen was still focused on gaining enough power to restore the boy, attempting to find life in endless darkness.

Help me...

Feathery soft, the light brushed his soul. He could save this man...but he must give up what has all ready passed on.

Jacen rebelled, unable to give up on the boy...on his brother.

Again the light beckoned, flooding his mind with thoughts buried deep in his heart. Life cannot exist in nothing. The Darkside's power lay in mimicry, in misleading, in filling a void with empty promises. It replaced happiness with power, love with control, peace for terror. Darkness was the absence of Light, of life. It could restore the body, but never the mind, never the soul.

Still Jacen was reluctant to let go. It was such a tempting mimicry.

"Help me...please..."

Jacen realized suddenly that the man was going to die. And he could stop it...but by which power?

The Darkside suggested haste, he could heal the man in a minute's time and return to the boy...

The Lightside cautioned patience, the shock might kill him faster...

Jacen had a difficult choice before him. The moment he relinquished his hold on the boy, he would die. If he did not go to the man, he would die.

It was a choice between life of the body...and life of the soul...his own.

Achingly, Jacen released the Force, relased the Darkness within. He felt immediately it's loss, and for a

2. Inara

Inara Jedi Master star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    *steals*

I will return soon with a review!

3. Kidan

Kidan TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 20, 2003
    Yes, I really did enjoy this story.

Jacen's path throughout it is executed brilliantly.

Very good job =D=

4. furrylittlebantha

furrylittlebantha Jedi Master star 3

Dec 2, 2005
    Oh! Lovely, truly beautiful, Luney. I don't really know anything about the NJO material, but Jacen was very real to me, his grief and turmoil almost palpable.

As usual, excellent. I'm so used to hearing you in Hal Horn's voice, it's wonderful to know you can pull off anybody! =D=

5. SakuraTsukikage

SakuraTsukikage Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2005
    Wow, I loved it--that was so . . . Jacen! His head is a difficult and confusing place these days, and you pulled it off so brilliantly and seamlessly!

This was a place for a Jedi Knight. Taking the pain from those who could bear it no longer. Restoring hope in a hopeless universe.

Fighting for life over death.

Jacen found his new battlefield, his new calling as a Jedi Knight.

He would take the path of the Healer.

That was perfect. This whole fic perfectly reconciles NJO Jacen, Dark Nest Jacen, and YJK Jacen. Absolutely incredible job.

His younger brother had died at that age. Unbidden, an anguished cry escaped Jacen's lips, and he knelt next to the kid, watching as his pure brown eyes glazed over. He was as great a monster as the Vong, how many mothers had he left childless? Tears touched his eyes as he remembered his parent's anguish over Anakin's death. How could he do that to someone else, even the parents of the enemy?

That's so . . . human, and I really like the depth it gives Jacen's character.

Absolutely lovely.

6. TheCrazyRodian

TheCrazyRodian Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2004
    If I quoted everything I liked, I'd be simply copying down the entire 'fic. So instead I'm going to say this:

The title and the first two lines gave me the chills. Seriously. It's poetry disguised as prose, and it touches something sublime with beautiful succinctness.

That set the tone for everything. If there was ever proof that the first lines of a 'fic are important, it's this vignette, because they are simply perfect.

Wonderful work. Just. Wonderful.

7. SakuraTsukikage

SakuraTsukikage Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2005
    I know there was something I forgot to comment on. :p I'm such a ditz.

*points upward* Exactly what he said.

Your opening lines were absolute brilliance. It reminded me of Shakespeare. Seriously.

8. TheCrazyRodian

TheCrazyRodian Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2004
    The first sentence is basically a line of straight iambs (with the first unstressed syllable missing... so technically, I guess it's trochaic, but I think it works better if you look at it as iambic, especially with the rest of the sentence). So it's no wonder it sounds like Shakespeare.

9. Jedi_lukie

Jedi_lukie Jedi Youngling

Nov 6, 2003
    good story

10. padawan lunetta

May 15, 1999
    Inara:

*steals*

I will return soon with a review!
    Oh sure! ;)

Kidan:

Yes, I really did enjoy this story.

Jacen's path throughout it is executed brilliantly.

Very good job
    yay! Thank you very much, newbiewanmine! Thou art an excellent critiquer. :D

furrylittlebantha:

Oh! Lovely, truly beautiful, Luney. I don't really know anything about the NJO material, but Jacen was very real to me, his grief and turmoil almost palpable. Thank you very much! *flushes*

As usual, excellent. I'm so used to hearing you in Hal Horn's voice, it's wonderful to know you can pull off anybody! lol! Thank you! ;) I've written Jacen longer, but never in first person. Guess that's reserved for the Horns. ;)

SakuraTsukikage:

Wow, I loved it--that was so . . . Jacen! His head is a difficult and confusing place these days, and you pulled it off so brilliantly and seamlessly! Wow, thank you! Quite flattering coming from a fellow Jacen writer! I was hoping it wasn't too strange, but none of you seem to think so...yet. ;)

This was a place for a Jedi Knight. Taking the pain from those who could bear it no longer. Restoring hope in a hopeless universe.

Fighting for life over death.

Jacen found his new battlefield, his new calling as a Jedi Knight.

He would take the path of the Healer.

That was perfect. This whole fic perfectly reconciles NJO Jacen, Dark Nest Jacen, and YJK Jacen. Absolutely incredible job.
    Thank you! As that was partially my intention, I'm glad it was done believeably! :D

His younger brother had died at that age. Unbidden, an anguished cry escaped Jacen's lips, and he knelt next to the kid, watching as his pure brown eyes glazed over. He was as great a monster as the Vong, how many mothers had he left childless? Tears touched his eyes as he remembered his parent's anguish over Anakin's death. How could he do that to someone else, even the parents of the enemy?

That's so . . . human, and I really like the depth it gives Jacen's character.
    Thanks...have to feel bad for him. :( And I do so think the Jedi need to be more human! :)

Absolutely lovely. Thank you. :)

TheCrazyRodian:

If I quoted everything I liked, I'd be simply copying down the entire 'fic. So instead I'm going to say this: wow...impressive, thank you!

The title and the first two lines gave me the chills. Seriously. It's poetry disguised as prose, and it touches something sublime with beautiful succinctness. *flushing* Very glad it didn't come off as simply strange. :D THank you very much!

That set the tone for everything. If there was ever proof that the first lines of a 'fic are important, it's this vignette, because they are simply perfect. *blushes deeply* *ego grows* ;) Thank you. I was aiming for that with those, and am very glad they worked!

Wonderful work. Just. Wonderful. Thank you. :)

SakuraTsukikage:

I know there was something I forgot to comment on. I'm such a ditz.

*points upward* Exactly what he said.

Your opening lines were absolute brilliance. It reminded me of Shakespeare. Seriously.
    Wow...dang...I might have to post an exploding ego alert in this thread. ;) Speciallly since I don't ocnsider myself the least bit good at poetry or even attempting it. :) (though I did with teh first few lines, cuz I thought it would sound cool. ;))

TheCrazyRodian:

The first sentence is basically a line of straight iambs (with the first unstressed syllable missing... so technically, I guess it's trochaic, but I think it works better if you look at it as iambic, especially with the rest of the sentence). So it's no wonder it sounds like Shakespeare. Wow, I hadn't considered that...not even sure I remember Iambic well enough! You must be a poet. :) Thanks veyr much for the flattering words...off to find a pin to pop the ego... ;)

Jedi_lukie:

good story Thank you. :)

11. Inara

Inara Jedi Master star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    Luney!!!!!!!!

I thought I had left a review for this, but I guess not. Please forgive me, my love. [:D]

This fic was wonderful. I loved it when I first read it, then the second time I read it, and now the third time I read it. As Rodi said, the title is so apt. Because the dark side is sweet and alluring.

This entire fic was like that. The dark side was so alluring for Jacen, so easy. All he had to do was reach...

But he didn't, and I was happy.

I love how you made Jacen a healer. I think he should have been one too. And I think he still could...if he'd calm down for two seconds.

Wonderful fic!!

12. padawan lunetta

May 15, 1999
    Inara:

Luney!!!!!!!!

I thought I had left a review for this, but I guess not. Please forgive me, my love.
    lol! I do forgive you. This time. ;)

This fic was wonderful. I loved it when I first read it, then the second time I read it, and now the third time I read it. As Rodi said, the title is so apt. Because the dark side is sweet and alluring. Ooh thank you! *flushes*

This entire fic was like that. The dark side was so alluring for Jacen, so easy. All he had to do was reach...

But he didn't, and I was happy.
    Me too!

I love how you made Jacen a healer. I think he should have been one too. And I think he still could...if he'd calm down for two seconds. Yes!!! And marry Jysella! ;)

Wonderful fic!! Thank you!

13. jaina_clan_solo

jaina_clan_solo Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 14, 2005
    This was a beautifully written vignette!

That was an incredibly difficult decision for Jacen to make... especially when he doesn't believe that there is a darkside to the Force, and you pulled it off wonderfully.

jcs

14. padawan lunetta

May 15, 1999
    jaina_clan_solo:

This was a beautifully written vignette! Thank you!

That was an incredibly difficult decision for Jacen to make... especially when he doesn't believe that there is a darkside to the Force, and you pulled it off wonderfully. Thank you very much! It was interestingly fun to write :D Glad you liked it!

15. DreamingFlames

DreamingFlames Jedi Youngling

Dec 15, 2005
    Beautiful descriptions, Luney! *wipes away tear* Jacen's anguish over the boy, and the parallel between said boy and Anakin :_|

I loved how you explained Jacen's discovery in regards to his "there is no darkside" *rolls eyes at NJO authors*

And of course, how Jacen becomes a healer. ;)

~Misha

16. Valley_Lord

Valley_Lord Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2005
    Interesting fic. I do like that Jacen becomes a healer('Jacen' is derived from 'Jason', which means healer in attic greek). Though the There is no darkside was a concept I liked in NJO. It was a far more mature viewpoint than the black and white Dark side Light side crap. The deviding line is not a clearly defined as most readers would like to believe

17. PonyTricks

PonyTricks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2003
    That was great, and I hope the EU authors eventually take this route. [face_praying] After Anakin Solo's death, I just think it would be too depressing (and unfair to H/L) to take another child from them.

For this alternative... I give you... [:D] [:D] [:D]

18. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Wow, I really liked the description of how darkside may call one. Really gave chills.

I was glad to see Jacen able to make the right decision and take the more difficult path. Superb viggie Luney!

19. padawan lunetta

May 15, 1999
    DreamingFlames:

Beautiful descriptions, Luney! *wipes away tear* Jacen's anguish over the boy, and the parallel between said boy and Anakin Awww thank you very much!

I loved how you explained Jacen's discovery in regards to his "there is no darkside" *rolls eyes at NJO authors* Thank you! *rolls eyes too*

And of course, how Jacen becomes a healer. Hehehe it's meant to be!

Valley_Lord:

Interesting fic. I do like that Jacen becomes a healer('Jacen' is derived from 'Jason', which means healer in attic greek). Ooh thank you! I didn't know that :D

Though the There is no darkside was a concept I liked in NJO. It was a far more mature viewpoint than the black and white Dark side Light side crap. The deviding line is not a clearly defined as most readers would like to believe I agree that not everything is black and white, but I completely disagree with the theory that there is no darkside. It's like claiming there is no good or evil...just gray. Admittedly the line can be thin, and everyone dabbles in both, but whichever dominates, good or evil, dark or light, determines the kind of person you are.

PonyTricks:

That was great, and I hope the EU authors eventually take this route. After Anakin Solo's death, I just think it would be too depressing (and unfair to H/L) to take another child from them. I COMPLETELY agree! Poor Han and Leia... :(

For this alternative... I give you...[:D][:D][:D] Hehehhe thank you! Jacen needs to be GOOD ;)

Healer_Leona:

Wow, I really liked the description of how darkside may call one. Really gave chills. Ooh thank you! Exactly what I was aiming for :D

I was glad to see Jacen able to make the right decision and take the more difficult path. Superb viggie Luney! Thank you very much! [face_blush]

20. Trepidation

Trepidation Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 3, 2005
    Still the glaze. Still the emptiness of a soul passed on. The Darkside was doing nothing for him but mimicking life, meeting his needs in a hollow, halfway that left him wanting. Left him needing him more. He was almost certain that if he drew just enough power, the boy's eyes would light once more.

My favorite clause in this fine fic...Here's why:

Jacen, if we are looking towards Vergere's influence, believes the Force to be non-sentient, for the most part. Yet, if he is to accept that the Force is all encompassing of life, he is contradicting that teaching...since he was convinced that he could light up the boy's eyes once again. He could restore him through using the "Dark side" of the Force. So, while the Force had brought back a "mimicking" of what the boy had been...it had not restored the soul. Oddly, the results prove Vergere, possibly, to be right, while his continued efforts suggest that he is not convinced. Nice paradox.

Then, there is the overlying theme that he is tired of death...which is hammered home by recognizing Anakin's similarities in the boy's age etc. Finally, a decision is realized in that he would become a healer. The whole "peace over power" and repetitive "help me" calling from the injured man seemed like it was more than just the specific instance...but more of an overall seduction for Jacen to pursue.

Loved it PL....nicely crafted...and lots of great metaphors hidden in there...

Trep

21. Valley_Lord

Valley_Lord Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2005
    The there is no darkside is simply stating that the force takes no sides. Good or Evil is inherent only to the individual. Blaming actions on an all powerful force is irresponsible and childish, which i what I meant to say earlier. By saying there is no darkside, Jacen and Vergere are readily accepting and taking responsibility for their actions, saying that it was their choice to act, for good ,evil or neutral actions/intentions etc... Not fate, and not the force itself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.