main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Software for first time animator

Discussion in 'Archive: Scifi 3D Forum' started by shadesaw, May 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shadesaw

shadesaw Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 13, 2003
    What is good software for someone started out?

2. PapaFett

PapaFett Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 16, 2002
    Oh boy...

Prepare for lockdown.

You have to learn to model before anything else (if you're actually wanting to break in to CG)... try wings3D... easiest polygon modeller, and it's free.

Wings3d

For all things not modelling, you'll need to learn a whole lot and use a different app, read this thread at CGTalk Which CG app should I choose?

3. djr33

djr33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2003
    or maybe blender... (blender3d.org)

4. spottcat211

spottcat211 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 27, 2002
    Allright, ignore these guys (at least these comments). You do NOT need to learn to model before animating, because to be honest, animating is what got me hooked, not moving little dots around the screen (that came in later)...

I personally favor Lightwave (only tried it a couple of times, but dead simple for animation), Truespace (also only tried it a couple of times), or Cinema 4D (awkward to learn for animation, but nothing beats it for modelling IMO). A popular choice around here for 3D packages is 3D Studio Max, it has a decent character suite (if you purchase the addon), and it is a very popular program, thus easy to find tutorials.

If you are poor, and have rigid morals, then you can try out blender, as it is free and also a popular choice around here. You get what you pay for though, it has an abstract interface (and is very difficult to learn), and lacks many of the features included in professional programs.

Truespace has a free version (older version) that you can get off of their site, and can import many models (that you can download from various sites). Truespace also has many cheap versions (again older, but as you go up in version, more features are included). It's a good choice to start out on a budget (especially if your just looking for animation).

5. George Mezori SCIFI 3D

George Mezori SCIFI 3D Scifi 3D Forum star 4 VIP

Sep 10, 1999
    If you just want to animate... it might be easier to go up to those mid to high-end apps like MAX and LW. Just for the simple reason that IF you are trying to use other peoples models you might find alot more luck finding versions of those formats than others.. at least around here.. and at high quality.

Also consider that most apps have pretty straight-forward animating/keyframing features. Unless you are doing character work. So you could probably animate just as well with any app... even stuff like Blender, etc. And there are alot of low-rez conversions of our work in Blender. There really are many many points that are debatable. What it really comes down to is what each person is looking for. So you are the only person who can figure that out. I'd say look at a few free apps... download some MAX or LW demos. You can read the FAQ about where to purchase these at student discounts.

6. _-Darth_Greek-_

_-Darth_Greek-_ Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 11, 2003
    nice and yes, take it from me, a fellow newbie, for a newbie, blender is fooked up

i cant find where it says to download on the wings site

7. PapaFett

Nov 16, 2002
    here is a link to the latest stable release for windows... there is links in the upper left hand corner of the home page for:

latest stable
    mac win source notes

and then the development release

8. spottcat211

spottcat211 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 27, 2002
    I don't mean to be rude, but why are we talking about Wings in an Animation thread (Wings doesn't even do animation AFAIK)?

9. PapaFett

Nov 16, 2002
    Okay spottcat... here's the deal. We are obviously trying to give some help to an individual who is new to CG... if he does infact only wish to do animation... he can refer to the link that I put in the first response to his post, however if he is infact interested in more than just animating premade models that he can download from the internet, he will need to model something to animate. Since many people who are new to the terminology call 3d applications, animation programs I offered a free solution to get started with the first step. Retract those claws.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.