**Software help 3ds MAX** ... importing merging objects

Discussion in 'Scifi 3D Forum' started by StarWarsKam, Nov 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StarWarsKam Jedi Youngling

I'm fairly new to 3ds max, so bare with me, my question might be cake to some of you in the forum, but any advice would be tons of help. When i try to merge a new spaceship into my scene, the textures get all messed up and the model ends up looking really crappy. Any advice on importing new objects and still having then look the same?
  2. Corrin_Wyndryder Jedi Master

star 4
    My advice. Start naming textures. You can do this in the Material Editor.

Naming textures is good. Having a filing system for your textures is also good.
  3. malducin Jedi Padawan

star 4
    He needs to give more info. Are you importing a native Max file? Maybe it's a model which doesn't have appropiate texture coordinates.
  4. StarWarsKam Jedi Youngling

well lets say i have a tie fighter model, its a MAX file, so when i open it with 3ds max it looks great. But if i wanted to add lets say an x-wing to the scene, i use merge and i merge the x-wing into the scne. But the textures of the x-wing dont look good. But they look good if i directly open it from 3ds max.
  5. cbutlerc Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Are you merging it into a existing scene w/ other geometry and textures or to a fresh new file.
    If you are merging into a existing scene Corrin_Wyndryder sounds to be on the right track.

What seems to be happening is that you have materials w/ the same name,
    so when you merge the X-Wing for example you usually get promted saying you have materials w/ the same name which would you like to use the scene or merged material,
    what it sounds like is that you are using the existing scene material so therfore when you render the X-Wing it looks all jacked up.
    Best help is to do what Corrin_Wyndryder says, and name your materials.

Or when you merge the file and the dialoge box comes up use the auto-rename selection.

Hope that is what is wrong, and hope this helps
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.