main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

** SOFTWARE Help / Advice **

Discussion in 'Archive: Scifi 3D Forum' started by George Mezori SCIFI 3D, Aug 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rand2323

rand2323 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 16, 2005
    Hey I was wondering if any one knew if 3DS max works for macs and if so where I can find a good free trial version to download, thanks

rand2323

2. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    3D Studio Max unfortunately only works for Windows right now. You can download a trial version here.

Hope that helps!

3. Manger

Manger Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 11, 2005
    Hi,

How can I make that a model reflects a shadow in the floor?
    Do i need a plane? thanks

for 3dstudio MAX 7

4. Manger

Manger Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 11, 2005
    How can I copy all the information of a keyframe and paste it (in other words: how do I copy a keyframe in the timeline)

3ds Max 7

5. Pinguru

Pinguru Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 5, 2005
    Is there any demo for
    MAX ?

6. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    Sure is - just take a look at their website and click on the demonstration link. :)

Hope that helps!

7. JediMasterBuck

JediMasterBuck Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 17, 2004
    Does anyone know if there is a specific trick or option that has to be turned on when cloning biped objects if you want to duplicate the entire object, not just it's biped in Max 6?

I've been attempting to duplicate the Cartoon Stormtrooper (from the Star Wars characters section here) in a scene and all I seem to be able to do is clone it's biped, but not the actual trooper.

Thanks!

8. outrider462004

outrider462004 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 2004
    I just found a program called Aqsis. Anyone heard about it or know anything about it?

9. Mithrawnurodo

Mithrawnurodo Jedi Master star 2

Sep 27, 2005
    I have a Blender problem, I have Blender 2.36 and 2.37 on my G4 iBook and I cannot render in either of them, when I click render or animate nothing comes up, I can animate a model fine in wireform but when I try and render it out nothing happens. I also cannot get quicktime into it to edit. Can anyone help me?

10. shieldwolf

shieldwolf Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 25, 2005
    I have hit the other forum sections as well, but Thought I would post here too.

Visual Effects Team Needed

LOS ANGELES, CA
    We are looking for visual effect artists to help us with our Sci-fi Audition Short. This is a great opportunity for someone trying to build up there portfolio and make strong contacts in the film industry. We need someone who can be on set with us during the shoot November 5th, 8th-9th to make sure we shoot the elements correctly for the visual effects team.

We also need a person(s) for 2d and 3d Modeling and Animation, Green Screen Compositing, Rotoscoping and Digital Mattes. The short is 15 minutes in length and has about 30 visual effect shots

- Experience working with After Effects HD.

- HD24p knowledge and experience

- Simple 3D modeling skills.

- Knowledge of Sci-Fi effects from Films like Star Wars, Babylon 5 and Star Trek

- Must have a strong grasp of scale, proportion and lighting.

- Must be very creative.

- Own system if preferable but not mandatory

- Must live in or around the Los Angeles Area.

Script, Boards, and FX-Shot list available upon request.

If interested please contact Randy or Gerry at SpearShield@gmail.com

11. DarthRicmu

DarthRicmu Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 3, 2005
    Hi, :)

I own Maya 6.5 and have a question....

i've downloaded the bonustools because i wanted to import .3ds files into maya......i've installed it as I should... but it wont import .3ds :(

anybody knows how to fix this prob?

Darth Ricmu

(sorry if this has been posted before.... :)

12. swimmerman91

swimmerman91 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 22, 2005
    Hello!
    I have Softimage XSI 5.0 and I cant really seem to do much. I REALLY NEED help sooon Thank you! PM me if you can help! [face_praying]

13. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    i've downloaded the bonustools because i wanted to import .3ds files into maya......i've installed it as I should... but it wont import .3ds anybody knows how to fix this prob?

If you have installed the bonus tools correctly you just need to activate it in your plugin manager. You can just loaded it on command or have the plugin load everytime Maya starts.

I have Softimage XSI 5.0 and I cant really seem to do much. I REALLY NEED help sooon Thank you! PM me if you can help!

XSI comes with quite a bit of documentation, and there are quite a few books and training materials out there.

14. swimmerman91

Aug 22, 2005
    I'm using the demo right now.

15. malducin

Oct 23, 2001
    I'm using the demo right now.

I'm pretty sure Experience came with help files. Isn't Experience discontinued? Softimage's website had a section for Experience users, a forum at least and proablably tutorials. Besides there is no demo for XSI 5. Experience was based on XSI 3. Unless you are talking about the 30 day XSI Foundation trial, which lasts 30 days and is based on XSI 5 and should definately include online documentation.

Regardless there are many intro tutorials around. For starters an intro to the interface, wghich is modal, much like Maya's (unless you have little 3D knowledge, then I would suggest certain books first). Anyway:

XSI interface
    Highend3D XSI tutorials
    XSI tutorials by Ed Harris
    XSI Files

Good luck.

16. swimmerman91

Aug 22, 2005
    Thank you, Malducin, I got it, an am all set now, except for two small issues:

-Don't know how to "paint" different sections of the same object

-Need to know how to add or Merge images.

17. malducin

Oct 23, 2001
    Need to know how to add or Merge images.

Don't know exactly what you mean but that's usually done in an image editin g application like Photoshop.

Don't know how to "paint" different sections of the same object

It depends on what you are doing and how your object is constructed (are all the sections part of the same heirarchy?). In general terms what you want to do is setup UV coordinates of your object using the Texture Editor in XSI and apply textures afterwards. If you don't have a 3D paint program what you normally do is unwrap the UVs to export and paint the texture in something like Photoshop and then apply the texture within XSI. Don't know if XSI 5 has new improvements in that department though (haven't checked yet) but that's the basic process.

18. swimmerman91

Aug 22, 2005
    COOL, thanks a BUNCH!!

19. DarthRicmu

Jul 3, 2005
    Does anybody have a good tutorial on getting a engine glow from a space ship in maya? or does anyone know how to?

20. malducin

Oct 23, 2001
    Does anybody have a good tutorial on getting a engine glow from a space ship in maya? or does anyone know how to?

There are several ways to go about this:

1. Select your geometry you wish to represent the engine glow (a simple sphere of cylinder will suffice) and assign the Lambert material to it. (Optional I think) Map a checker texture to the Incandescence channel for better control. Set the color to black and diffuse to 0.0. Go to the attribute editor of the lambert material, go to the Special Effects section and set Hide Source to On (so the geometry is not rendered, only the glow). The lambert material has settings for glow intensity. This might clarify the process:

Create a 3D Scene with Maya and Photoshop. Pt. 1

2. Attach point lights to your engine. Open the attricute editor for this lights and go to the light effects section. Select the Light Glow effect there.

There are other ways to go about this, including using the Mental Ray shaders but that's a more advanced subject.

21. Mithrawnurodo

Sep 27, 2005
    I am having problems with 3DS files downloaded from sci-fi 3D. I am modeling Coruscuent right now and I downloaded about 5 different buildings from sci-fi 3D, only 2 of them imported right into Bryce(5) the others get all the way through the converting process and then say "this file has either been moved or deleted, please locate it in the next dialog box". I have this problem with about two-thirds of all models I download off of sci-fi 3D. Can someone help me please?

22. DarthRicmu

Jul 3, 2005
    .3DS models are uhhh how should I explain this......

they are mostly not good....because every program has it's own methods etc it never really import's totaly great into most apps...

so .....

But I'm not using bryce so I can be mistaken though :)

23. Mithrawnurodo

Sep 27, 2005
    I know its a bad format but its the only one from sci-fi I can use. And I have nothing better to use yet.
    And my render time is incredibly sllllllloooooooowwww.

24. Darth_Sidious-

Darth_Sidious- Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 14, 2005
    Anyone have a link to gmax?

25. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    From this page:

As of October 6, 2005, Autodesk will no longer offer Gmax® software as a stand-alone product. If you are interested in other 3D animation, modeling, and rendering applications from Autodesk please check out Autodesk® 3ds Max® software. You can download a free 30-day trial, view product demonstrations, read customer success stories, and get more information about this powerful, versatile product.

I'd say Google searching for some older versions is your best bet. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.