main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

** SOFTWARE Help / Advice **

Discussion in 'Archive: Scifi 3D Forum' started by George Mezori SCIFI 3D, Aug 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bacardiwavemaster

Bacardiwavemaster Jedi Youngling

Jun 20, 2006
    3D Studio Max 7 - I'm really new to 3d composting/animation

And I have a question about the video post thingie. I'm trying to sequence multiple cameras (i.e. camera one is a shot of a spacedock orbiting earth, and camera two is a closeup of the spacedock, doors opening a la Star Trek III) but for some reason, the video post wouldn't render it, giving an error message that said there wasn't anything to render.

I also have a question about the sliding door feature in 3dsmax...like I said, I'm trying to make a spacedock with doors that open up a la Star Trek, and I've tried doing it with a sliding door, but I'm not sure how the function works, and secondly, am not sure how to "warp it" to wrap it around the spherical top of my spacedock. I have the same difficulty when it comes to writing it starship names and registry numbers on the saucer sections of starships.

Any help (e.g. tips, links to tutorials) would be appreciated

2. Bacardiwavemaster

Jun 20, 2006
    I'm also having trouble with video post...by default, where does 3dsmax 7 put its rendered avi files? Is it set under Rendering > Render?

3. darthviper107

darthviper107 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2003
    Heh heh...that's funny because guess what? It doesn't save them at all unless you tell it to. Basically, you need to add another event--Output, deselect every effect and add Output, this should make it the last item but on the first queue position (if you can understand that) and then setup where you want to save in the Output settings.

It should be like this (somewhat)
    -Item
    >Effect
    >Effect
    -Output

If it's not in placed like that then certain things won't be in the file you save. (like effects won't show up even though they are rendered).

4. Bacardiwavemaster

Jun 20, 2006
    Lol wow...these 3d programs make no sense. Thanks for the much-needed tip :)

5. erus_multus2

erus_multus2 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 11, 2005
    In 3Ds max, is there a way to make a light only effect one object?

Thanks.

6. darthviper107

Jun 26, 2003
    Yes, in the light's settings, there is a button that says Exclude, click that, in the window you can switch it to Include and then just add objects from the left into the window at the right that you want it to effect.

7. erus_multus2

erus_multus2 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 11, 2005
    Thank you very much!

8. Robal_Krahl

Robal_Krahl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 23, 2003
    Im not sure if this is in the right spot, but here goes.

I want to create the organic steel effect of Colossus in X-Men 2 and X-Men 3 in Photoshop, but I have no idea how to do it. It's just to alter a picture, not for video. Can anyone help?

9. shkumbin

shkumbin Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 25, 2006
    I have a question about 3d max.
    Im using version 8 on a xp professional machine with 1 GB of RAM and 2.0 GHZ intel pentium.
    Im using vray 1.47.3 and it appears to work fine.
    But my problem is that when I first installed vray everything worked fine, but after a while my environment/effects window wont display, ever. I tried unistalling max and its still doing the same. I just dont understand what to do, I needed to make some volumetric lights effects , but Im unable to open that window, when I look in the render tab it is checked but there is no window. it just so weird.Everything else works fine though!
    Anyone can advise something or have any clue what could be. Could it be any toggle or something that I might have touched.
    Im relatively a new max user!
    Thanks

10. darthviper107

Jun 26, 2003
    So when you go to the Rendering menu at the top and click Environment, nothing happens?

11. shkumbin

Oct 25, 2006
    Thats correct

12. darthviper107

Jun 26, 2003
    So when you reinstalled 3ds Max, did you have Vray installed as well? Did you make sure that all of the files for the program were deleted after the installation? (it may be just a case of program settings, which aren't always deleted from a reinstallation).

13. shkumbin

Oct 25, 2006
    Well first of all the problem is kinda weird, that thing shouldnt have happened in first place but yeah I reinstalled but didnt delete all the files. I think I should do that. Should I simply delete the max folder or as well as in the registry?
    Thanks a lot for the help m8 :D

14. darthviper107

Jun 26, 2003
    Well, you don't need to delete your scene files if you have them, but the rest of just the program files left behind would be fine. Don't know about the registry because after all, you'd have to reregister your serial, and I'm not sure that would do anything anyway.

Anyways, this is just a suggestion, if everything is deleted there should be a good chance that it should work (I mean it makes sense right?) so I would try that.

15. shkumbin

Oct 25, 2006
    OK, well I uninstalled max and deleted all the stuff, now it works :D, That was so weird though lol.
    Anyway thanks for help/suggestions!
    Cheers

16. swlase

swlase Jedi Youngling

Mar 7, 2006
    Ehh didnt see this thread when I posted about C4D

Heres my question: How would I make a camera follow a path.

This might be in the wrong section though and Im sorry if it is ;)

17. DarthRicmu

DarthRicmu Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 3, 2005
    I'm having this problem.....

When I render an image in Maya 8.0 Unlimited with painteffects added (flowers, grass) those show up black.
    I've tried all sorts of settings but I can't figure out how to fix it.

[image=http://www.ricardo-musch.com/showweb/test1.jpg]

Please help!!!

Thanx

Ricardo

18. darthviper107

Jun 26, 2003
    What kind of lighting do you have, your scene looks rather washed out.

19. DarthRicmu

Jul 3, 2005
    I have a ambient light ....

I've tried all kinds of intensities etc...

20. darthviper107

Jun 26, 2003
    Try something more direct, like a point light and see what happens.

21. DarthRicmu

Jul 3, 2005
    Yeah it works :)

thanx :D

Ambient lights do not support paint effects I think....

22. BruceM

BruceM Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 8, 2006
    Okay, I need bryce help. I am filming a fanfilm this winter, planned to come out this summer, and I need help. I got a arc-170 model I need, and I should get the jedi starfighter eta-2 model as well. Well, currently, I was planning on using anim8or to make the space scene. I was able to get this so far
    [image=http://www.anim8or.org/images/arc170_sinspace.jpg]
    I know GI isnt in it, I didnt make a light setup yet(it would totally increase the rendering time, and the time for that pic above was a while). Well, I read on the daz3d website that bryce can import 3d models. I also know bryce has light setups and such. well, I have two questions
    1)How do u make the camera the veiwport?
    2)How do u import 3d models. I use bryce5, and would think that it would be better than using anim8or. ANim8or is fine, but this animation is going to be in the same film as a camera shot.

23. darthviper107

Jun 26, 2003
    Are you sure that Bryce will be any faster in rendering? It seems that's why you want to use it, that it can render better and faster, but have you tried rendering something with it?

24. DarthRicmu

Jul 3, 2005
    I've got a problem with Maya 8.0

I made a model and I textured it in Photoshop....(from the UV layout)

now I applie the texture to the object and the object (in real time texture vieuw (6) ) goes like this...
    [image=http://www.ricardo-musch.com/showweb/maya_problem.JPG]
    I want to vieuw the texture in real time and not when I render it each time.... What's wrong?

I never had this in Maya 6.5....

25. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    Ambient lights do not support paint effects I think....

It's not that, it's what ambient lights do. Ambient lights only give a constant color to the ambient component of objects, hence giving you a flat look. You should probably read up on lighting models and ambient, diffuse and specular components.

I want to vieuw the texture in real time and not when I render it each time.... What's wrong?

There could be several causes. Are you applying an alpha channel as well (or instead of the actual texture)? Also weird stuff might happen with cards/drivers that don't have good OpenGL support (although usually the artifacts are a bit weirder and easier to figure out).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.