main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:WA Software/Programs

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Jedi Daniel, Aug 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Ok I couldn't find a software thread so I've created my own. Here we can talk about the latest software/programs that have just been released, posts links to download them and post screenshots of them.

I have a question. Does anyone know if the new Real Player, Real One is any good or should I just stick with Real Player 8?

2. soneil

soneil Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    It's very different but I quite like it. It's like an entirely different program when you look at it. I find it's a much neater interface and you can have it so that half the window's not takn up with ads like the other one. Overall, I couldn't really trell you about anything in particular I like about it but I just think it's better to use and looks better in general. Still plays the videos fine which is the main thing of course. Seems so have gotten rid of the stability problems I sometimes had with the other version too.

3. Jedi Daniel

Apr 7, 2000
    Ok then.

I see that Quicktime 6 is out now. Nothing really new to the interface or the way it works. Just a smaller size that's all.

4. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 18, 2001
    but does the new quicktime have new codecs?

5. Jedi Daniel

Apr 7, 2000
    I don't really know. I never knew Quicktime ever had codecs in the first place. Try it and find out ;)

6. SoulKrusher

SoulKrusher Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 25, 2000
    The codecs in the Quicktime are simply updated and therfore better quality vs compression. If your into that sort of thing of course, so yeah its better.

7. Jedi Daniel

Apr 7, 2000
  8. Dingbat

Dingbat Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 10, 2001
    I think Trillian (www.trillian.cc) is just godly. It's an IM program that supports AIM, ICQ, MSN, Yahoo Messenger, and IRC all at once, through the one program, using one buddy list. If you find yourself using more then one IM program at once, definately try checking out Trillian, it makes life a whole lot easier. Plus its fully skinable to boot. Only problem is it doesn't yet support ICQ 2002b's server side contacts (it supports them for AIM, and MSN though), but you can easily import your contacts from your ICQ install.

9. Stinky_jawa

Stinky_jawa Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2000
    Not argueing, but Winrar 3 does zip, rar, ace and lots more formats... winzip does only zip files (without aditional files anyway) and Winace can do all but winrar3 files.. so instead of installing 2 or 3, I use Winrar cause it does all formats.. even iso and cab..

Also handy

3dMark2001se - Video card Benchmarking Program.

Nvidia Refresh Rate Fix 2 - All detonator drivers (in w2k or WXP) have a problem with monitor refreshing IN-GAME above 60hz. Installation of this program fixes it ;)

Motherboard Monitor - Want to keep an eye on cpu temperatures, motherboard N/bridge temps or fan speeds while playing games? This program can read and display them over the top of most programs.. Very handy :D

Nvmax - Nvmax, a tweaking/overclocking program for any Nvidia based Video card. NOT just for overclocking, but making sure your video card is set at the best it can be. (nvidia settings in the standard display panel leave out some good stuff)

VIA drivers page - Make sure your VIA chipset has the latest drivers! (make sure your m/board has via chipset on it first ;) )

Shields Up! - Run this tiny file while your connected to the net and see how vulnerable your pc is without a firewall. It tells you what everyone can see. Or if you have a firewall, see if it is working properly. This program/website can suggest solutions and point you towards freeware firewall programs..

10. FaLLeN-AnGeL

FaLLeN-AnGeL Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    Dingbat, you beat me to it! Soup and myself have recently discovered Trillian (major fluke) and it's pretty damn cool... I only really use ICQ, but my lil sis uses IM so I've now got that as well. It's all easy to use and stuff, rather cool...

A tool I just found today (or was it yesterday?) called IconForge... It lets you "Create and edit Windows Icons, Cursors, Animations, Multi-Res .ICO, and more with this top-rated icon editor! Includes image editing for larger images, change system icons, desktop attributes, more"

11. Jedi Daniel

Apr 7, 2000
    Sissoft Sandra - A great diagnostic and benchmarker utility for Windows. Highly Recommended.

ICQ Plus 3.4 - A skinning program for all versions of ICQ (Good for covering those annoying adverts).

12. Stinky_jawa

Dec 7, 2000
    Trillain is cool ;)

Another icq replacement is ICQ GO! - A IE based ICQ window... All you need is your Icq number (in ur profile, write it down and take it in ure bag or watever) and ure password.. no adds, and it doesnt remember your password unless u want it to.. no installation at all too

Good for tafe/uni/work non-permanent and html based, so it gets through our tafes firewall ;)

13. SoulKrusher

Nov 25, 2000
    Good for you :p

It doesnt get threw the RAC firewall... :(

...Unless you know password ;)

14. Jedi Daniel

Apr 7, 2000
    Well I've just installed WinRAR 3 and I'm hooked. Heaps better than WinZip and I can see why so many people use WinRAR.

15. SoulKrusher

Nov 25, 2000
    Ever tried WinACE, dats not bad either very much like WinRAR.

16. Stinky_jawa

Dec 7, 2000
    Yer, I used to use that.. But it reads Winrar 3 files as corrupt, even when they're not..

17. Jedi Daniel

Apr 7, 2000
    I tried WinACE. Didn't really like it that much. I prefer WinRAR now rather than WinZip :)

WinRAR has so many more options :)

Also if anyone wants a good download manager and are sick of the usual ones like Getright and Go!Zilla, there is a new one called FlashGet

I also found this website. The company website has a Download Manager called Fresh Download, a Diagnostic program called Fresh Diagnose and a tweaking program for Windows called Fresh UI. All of these programs can be download here.

18. Jedi Daniel

Apr 7, 2000
    Just letting everyone know that the BETA of Windows Media Player 9.0 is out. You can go to the Windows Media Player site by clicking here.

Here are some screenshots of the program :)

[image=http://at60.homestead.com/files/wmp9max.JPG]

This is the WMP 9.0 interface. Very similar to 8.0.

[image=http://at60.homestead.com/files/wmp9min.jpg]

This one shows how the Media Player sits in the bottom right hand corner of your taskbar. When a new song starts, a little slide pops up displaying info about the song.

19. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    Might have to check it out since I'm one of these people who actually like WMP? :) I've tried the new version Winamp and I can see why people like it, but I think I'd still prefer to just stick with WMP. Unusual for me since if there's a choice between MS and a decent competitor, I'll usually go for their competition. I'll see what the new version can do.

20. Stinky_jawa

Dec 7, 2000
    Yer, I like it too.. And I agree with ya on winamp3..

Was good, but its not that good.. plus its very memory hungry.. Most ppl dont like it for that reason alone..

ta for that link JD.. that Halo 2 trailer (see games thread for link) there was a section for media player 9 format.. and I was wondering if that was a typo ;)

21. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    Remember the browser wars of the late 90s (Internet Explorer vs netscape navigator). IE pretty much came out of that as the winner and I switched to it about 5 years ago. I just installed Netscape version 7 though and I'm very impressed. Version 4 was a dog of a program. There never was a version 5. 6 was a huge improvement over 4 and I could never understand why so many people stuck with the woeful version 4. Version 7's another step ahead and on first impressions I think I may actually like it better than IE6.
    Seems quick and stable so far. I love the idea of browsing different sites in tabs rather than in completely separate windows. A fantastic idea in my opinion. The side tab (which I never bothered using before) actually seems pretty good now. File downloads still seem to be quicker than in IE with less problems based on the test downloads I've done so far.
    Netscape mail/news has been improved and I always preferred that to Outlook Express (which I always loathed with a passion). My preferred mail and news programs are Eudora and Agent respectively but Netscape has always been my preferred alternative. I've been palying around with the news reader and I quite like it. A few little improvements over the previous version.
    I use whichever I think is better wihout bias but for a while I've been hoping that Netscape would come out with a browser deserving of being #1 again. After being an IE fan for several years I think it's about time Netscape knocked MS back off the browser throne.

22. Jedi Daniel

Apr 7, 2000
    Does anyone here the new version of ICQ called ICQLite? If so could you tel me what it's like and if it's better than the normal version of ICQ?

23. Stinky_jawa

Dec 7, 2000
    'icq lite' suggests just a cut down version of icq?

24. Jedi Daniel

Apr 7, 2000
    Yeah it is. Cuts all the crap stuff out that makes it unstable and just leaves the main features in. I just want to know if it's really worth getting or not.

25. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    I'll be doing a clean reinstall of everything in a week or so and I'll probably try the light version then. I don't exactly use ICQ much these days and I close it half the time I'm online so a lite <sic> version might be what I'm after.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.