main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Artist Soits... art - updated 12/10/2010 - mainly non-SW art

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by soitscometothis, Dec 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ty_Ordell

Ty_Ordell Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 7, 2002
    Your favorite is my favorite, you've got to finish that baby!!

2. Mysticool

Mysticool Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 6, 2005
    All of your work is simply stunning. Utterly beautiful.

3. HawkHeadKentil

HawkHeadKentil Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 27, 2003
    When I saw that first pick of Padme I was stunned. WOW!! It's as good as any star wars art I have seen. I'm putting it in my memory bank as one of the top 5. It's got an emotion to it that makes it enjoyable to look at.

4. Marmida

Marmida Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 22, 2004
    WOW! Those are so beautiful! Every one of them! That duel is so dynamic I can feel it.
    Awesome job!

Marmida

5. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    FalconFan,
    Thank you for the compliments, I always appreciate you dropping in to comment. I'm too vain to show the really bad attempts, the ones where the bodies were out of proportion with the legs, or the ones where the head sat on the shoulders so badly it looked like he'd had an accident. I'm not even going to talk about the problems I've had with the hands:(. I drew more than ten pages of figures before I got one that I thought looked right. Figure drawing is tricky.

One thing I did find useful was doing an image search for Michelangelo's David. You can get lots of different views of the same body - very helpful for your knowledge of anatomy.

The armour was mostly suggested by the illustration DarkSithDrew posted with his request; I altered it a little because bits of it I didn't understand well enough to draw. I love armour, got lots of books on the subject (including the Lord Of The Rings: Return of the King art book, some great armour designs in there) so it wasn't that difficult.

Ty_Ordell,
    Thanks, I came down with The Paralysing Fear, a frequent killer of my work. Once I start to like a drawing too much before it's finished, I do tend to suffer a loss of courage. I'll go back to it and see if I can see it through to completion this time.

Mysticool, HawkHeadKentil, Marmida,
    :) Thanks guys, always nice when someone stops by with a compliment. I hope to see a lot of your work in the future.

6. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    I finally finished colouring DarkSithDrew's roleplaying character: Jedi

I really should do something about the saber blade to make it all glowey, but I'll have to read up on how to do that. I should also put more tonal values on the legs, but I'm feeling a little burnt-out on the picture at the moment.

I've got to say, colouring my b/w picture using the computer was so much harder than I thought it would be. I have total respect for all those people in this forum who do this kind of thing regularly and make it look easy - I had no idea!

The textured shirt the knight wears was a Corel Photo-Paint texture, ditto for his cloak.

Related pictures/versions/working out:

jedi2 This is almost identical to the finished version except for some tweeking of the chrome armour

headshot This was when I was trying to get the face-tones right; I thought the hair might be difficult to achieve, turned out to be easy

gauntlet This is what the gauntlet looked like before I added the black reflections

gauntlet sketch This is the sketch I originally based the gauntlet on; it's an old one from one of my old sketch-books, I copied it from a photograph of an actual piece of armour that I really liked; I changed the design quite a bit for the roleplaying character, but this is its genesis.

I'd like to thank DarkSithDrew for being so patient, I took much longer to get anywhere on this than I had originally thought.

7. labpizza

labpizza Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 28, 2005
    stop it! you're making me jealous! j/k
    I guess i cant really explain how bloody amazing your work is!! I love it sooo much... even so you dont mind if i have this picture as my wallpaper? that'd look so cool!! I Love your work!! especially those paintings... what did you use to make those? it looks like watercolours.. but the paper looks weird..
    I LOVE, LOVE yer work!!! <3

8. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Geez, soits, that's fantastic! I can't believe all the work you put into this piece--from the research to the roughs we saw earlier to the final colored version--awesome! DarthSithDrew must be ecstatic over this--wonderful work! I really admire that you went to the effort of learning to color in the computer for this--it's something I've stubbornly avoided approaching at all (techno-phobic, I think...)--you did a fabulous job with it, too: the shading and color on the armor and the hair are perfect. Bravo! =D=

FF

9. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    For your first time, soits that looks very, very good. And I completely feel for you when you say coloring on the computer isn't as easy as it sounds. When you go to do something like this, you're sitting there for a while trying to perfect things. Although, using filters does look a heck of a lot easy than going in and blending everything manually. I may have to give that a try. :)

10. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    FalconFan & HanSolo29,

Thanks for the compliments. I have computer-coloured before, about three years ago I attempted to colour a scanned page of a B&W comic-book, but it was pretty basic stuff. I found this to be much more difficult, probably because I was doing it for someone else.

Although, using filters does look a heck of a lot easy than going in and blending everything manually

Yes, I have the horrible feeling I've been a bit stupid. I've heard you guys talk about filters and layers, but I don't know what they are. The software I've been using are all free demos, most being four or five years old: PSP vesion 4 (shareware), Corel PHOTO-PAINT!4, and Photomagic (dated 1993). I guess I'm showing my age; when I was a teenager, 16-bit computers like the Amiga were cutting edge, and nobody had a scanner, they were too expensive.

I've been porting the images between the three programs (each one has something the others lack), and saving the unfinished images as uncompressed bitmaps. I should really buy a propper graphics package, I suppose. What is everybody else using?

labpizza,

I've just looked at your art thread and I think your work is fantastic. The way you simplify your images so you get the basic shapes, then go all stylised on things like clothing and hair, thats exactly what I was trying to do for my Duel design. I find it really difficult; you on the other hand seem to be knocking them out at top speed. It took me more than a month to get a design for The Duel that worked, I'm betting you are producing designs much faster than that.

The paintings are water-colour, with some acrylic and pencil work thrown in too. I've textured the paper with a few things, including gesso and glue, but it makes it really hard to work on - very unpredictable, and often frustrating. They tend to look better scanned than they do in real-life.

Oh, and you are very welcome to use any of my pictures as wallpaper, it's nice that people like them.

11. FlamingBladeSaber

FlamingBladeSaber Jedi Master star 2

May 14, 2005
    Soits...I love your artwork that much. I decided to make a request, but I take it you don't deal in requests am I correct? Although, I still love your art work, it reminds me of what my brother used to draw ages ago. Fantastic.

12. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    FlamingBladeSaber,
    I got your PM, and I'm fine with drawing your character. I tend to be a little slack at responding to PMs (and getting the work done) but I will talk to you about it later, OK.

13. FlamingBladeSaber

FlamingBladeSaber Jedi Master star 2

May 14, 2005
    It's all good buddy, take your time. Also, if your used to drawing Anakin, you should be able to grasp what I'm trying to get at here. Just change some of the basic features like the scar on his eye and the robotic arm. Pm me for details, although I covered it mostly on the PM I sent you.

Most appreciated Soits!

14. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    Work in progress: RPG character for FlamingBladeSaber

FlamingBladeSaber has yet to choose a version for colouring, but this is what I've got so far:

Sketch page
    I traced the central face from the above sketch, then quickly drew in a body here
    Then I inked that figure on several other sheets of tracing-paper, trying to get it right: 1 , 2 , 3, and 4

Different pose without robe: Original sketch-pad rough,first inking attempts on tracing paper, finished B/W version

Other roughs

Loose drawing 1
    Loose drawing 2

Misc. sketches

Face lighting
    Robes

These are a few portraits I did of Padme some time ago. They were all based on the same photo, I traced the likeness to start with, but as you can see from the differences in likeness between each picture, the underlying pencil lines quickly got buried the more that I painted.

[link=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v316/rnart/pdme0.jpg]1[/link] The first, most controlled, and consequently the best likeness

[link=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v316/rnart/p9.jpg]2[/link] ; there is something wrong with the mouth in this one

[link=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v316/rnart/pdmnewe7.jpg]3[/link] I love the colours, I just wish I could remember how I got the effect. Bad likeness though.

15. Marmida

Marmida Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 22, 2004
    :eek: Those are INCREDIBLY AWESOME!!!!
    Espesially the Padmé ones!

16. Kenu

Kenu Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2005
    Woooow. Your poses have real life to them, and its real like... fluid, you know? Great work Soits!

17. wicktone

wicktone Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2003
    Your sketches are incredible. The loose geture lines give everything so much life and it's great to see all these original poses and expressions.

Your Padmé paintings have beautiful texture and I love the colouring. Wonderful stuff, soitscometothis!

18. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    I really, really appreciate seeing "how" you work, soits--the wonderful preliminary sketches, all the way to the finished piece...just wonderful! You have such a beautiful fluidity in your sketching--loose and easy--it seems to really lend to the ease in the figures you finally achieve. And your Padme paintings....waaahhhh!!! :_| They're so beautiful!!! I love the colors, and the eyes are just stunning in the realism--just beautiful! It's wonderful to see some more paintings (I still adore the ones in your first post! :D )! This is great stuff (and thank you-thank you for sharing the "process"--it really helps me, to see how others work!)!

FF

19. DarthMaul431

DarthMaul431 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 19, 2003
    I like your sketches a lot! :) Keep it up!

20. Darth_ArsnL

Darth_ArsnL Jedi Youngling star 2

May 26, 2005
    Excellent work Soits! I love the newest stuff, and that you post all your work in process.
    Please post more!
    -Arsnl

21. DarthZemog

DarthZemog Jedi Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    Soitscometothis! Man, have been missing out since I've been away! Your stuff is awesome! I love the Padme faces, so cool, they remind me of frescos. Beautiful! :D

I also really like how you posted your sketches too. I've been asked by a couple of people in the past how I begin a drawing and I was thinking of doing this too. Your style is top notch!

Great stuff, I'll be visiting often for your updates! ;)

Later,
    ~DZ
    :cool:

22. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Whoa! Your rough sketches are beautiful. I love to see how you work out forms and poses. :)

Your latest Padmé portraits are wonderful. I think you did a superb job on the likenesses and the colors on them just draw me in. Very warm and inviting.
    You mentioned something wrong with her mouth in the second one. The only thing I can think of is maybe her bottom lip is a tad too full? But it's really not a big deal at all. It looks just like her. And I have to comment on how well you've gotten her eyebrows down. Fantastic!

23. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    Updating with a coloured version of the RPG character:

[​IMG]

24. labpizza

labpizza Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 28, 2005
    i can't tell you how much i love your work!! and looking at it is so fun!!!
    all your sketches make me go.. I dont know but WOW! :eek:
    And i have to tell you that all your sketches are an inspration to just grab out a sketch book and do lots of sketches of my own.
    Again! i'll tell you that i enjoy looking at your work so much!
    I really love the drawings of Padme you did!! i think i've alredy told you that to do such a thing you must have a supperior knowledge of anatomy, you most probbaly do!
    and thanks for letting me use your picture as my wallpaper too!! <3

25. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Wow, that looks awesome, soits!!!
    I love the robes and sash, the way they're moving in this--I can almost feel the breeze lifting and swirling around him. The coloring and shading are just beautiful--I particularly love how you've shaded his face: it's very realistic, and gives him a very "solid" look. Your requesters must be falling-down delighted with your renderings of their characters--I am, and they're not even mine! lol!! Beautiful...just beautiful!

FF

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.