main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Artist Soits... art - updated 12/10/2010 - mainly non-SW art

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by soitscometothis, Dec 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_ArsnL

Darth_ArsnL Jedi Youngling star 2

May 26, 2005
    Your artwork is soooo wonderful. I especially love your Padme pieces and an incredible resemblence and Strong feel to them too. I can't believe you haven't gotten more of a response to your work, its positively to die for, and Cool RPG character, I like the shape of his robes, really dynamic. I always enjoy viewing your post, you always have a lot of style but still retain the character's expressions and likenesses. I can't wait to see your newest pieces. :)

Arnsl

2. wicktone

wicktone Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2003
    That picture is incredibly cool. I love the angular lines and planes... it's almost like Pablo Picasso jedi, especially around his belt.

The robe is particularly well-drawn. I like how it's bunch up around his forearms quite realistically. Great sketch!

3. Exx

Exx Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2005
    wow....i just had to drop by your threde after seeing you a couple times in mine (thanks much btw^^)...you're stuff is insanely awsome @__@...the obiwan & padme` peices are breathtaking man. keep up the awsome work, im book marking 'ya so i can keep an eye on things :)

4. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    labpizza,
    Thanks, I love your work, too. As for the superior knowledge of anatomy, I just don't show the drawings that go horribly wrong!

FalconFan,
    Thank you, you always comment on my pictures.My requester was pleased, despite the length of time it took me to get around to completing it. I was really worried I might not be able to render cloth competently, metal and glass are more in my line usualy, so I let fear put me off for a while (other things slowed me up, too: my Zip drive died and I attempted to repair it myself - why I thought I could do this, knowing that I destroyed my computer's operating system a month previously in an ill-fated attempt to uninstall software, I don't know. I'm lucky that anything works at the moment!), but I came through in the end. Promising a finished piece of work for someone always makes me nervous that I won't be able to deliver satisfactorily [face_worried]

Darth_ArsnL,
    I'm running out of ways to say thank you, but thank you for the compliments. The forum is bursting with talent and activity at the moment, and it's getting difficult to comment on everyone's work. When I first started posting, Fan Art was a fairly slow-moving place where you had time to look at everybody's threads and make a comment; now I find I don't always get around to seeing a thread before it drops off the first page, let alone make any meaningful remark. I know I haven't posted in your thread yet, and there are a few current posters who's threads I haven't even opened, it's just a bit mad in here at the moment. I hope that doesn't become discouraging for some people, it is a great forum.

wicktone,
    Thanks, as I said to FalconFan, the robe was a real worry. The airbrush tool seems to work well for that kind of thing, though.

Exx,
    Nice to see you, I really admire your work (and hope to see more!).

5. Your_Worshipfulness

Your_Worshipfulness Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2005
    Your work on the folds and creases are superb, giving him so much more added detail and making him feel very real - you really needn't have worried. ;) You have an excellent grasp on where and how to shade to achieve depth.

- Suz ^_~

6. DarkSithDrew

DarkSithDrew Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2004
    soitscometothis your work is wonderfull. And again, thanks for the drawing you did for me, it's perfect.

7. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    Your_Worshipfulness, thanks for taking the time to say something nice, it's appreciated.

DarkSithDrew, I'm so glad you liked it, I know it took longer that I said it would. Thaks for being patient.

8. DarkSithDrew

DarkSithDrew Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2004
    No Problem at all, I could have waited longer, I'm just glad you did it :)

9. angel_gidget

angel_gidget Jedi Master star 1

Apr 16, 2004
    Man! If I put half as much forthought and perfectionism into my work as you do, I wouldn't have the patience to get anything done! I really like the variety in you work from the funky RotS pic to the lovely Padme and Obi-wan paintings!

10. TroubledAnakin

TroubledAnakin Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 18, 2004
    Wow... I haven't been here before, but why not, I say?! This stuff is gorgeous - I love your paintings - there's an unbelievable quality to them! The faces are true to life and glorious. I particularly loved your PT Obi-Wan, he's gorgeous, and your Padmes are all beautiful. I don't quite know how you manage to have them come out the way you do - with the negative space and the texture of the paint coming through like that, but suffice is to say I am extremely jealous!

Maybe I'll be able to do something like this if I sell my soul to some demon. What do you think?

11. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Oiy! How'd I ever miss that this thread was updated! I saw your thread at the top of the page again and I noticed you had new stuff! Bah, I'm really losing it. :p

Anyway, I know you posted this a while back, but I hope you don't mind me commenting because those are really excellent and the preliminary sketches I found very insightful. I just enjoyed going through and viewing the different steps you've taken in coming to the final drawing. And I must say, your sketches are quite impressive. *jealous, jealous*

Now for your Padme paintings - wow! Those are really amazing! I don't care what you say, I think you managed to capture the likeness very well in all three of them. And that style - I love it! What exactly do you do to create that effect?

Awesome update, soits! :D

12. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    It's been a while since I've touched my thread.angel_gidget, TroubledAnakin , HanSolo29: thanks guys for the kind words, they are appreciated.

Darth_ArsnL has coloured my Duel stencil design here

I think his colouring job has a very cool '60's feel to it. Thanks again Darth.

Here is some work-in-progress for R_Zion:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v316/rnart/rrough11.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v316/rnart/drrough8.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v316/rnart/drrough10b.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v316/rnart/drrogh7.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v316/rnart/robosm6.gif

I'm still trying to get it right.

13. greyjedi125

greyjedi125 Chosen One star 6

Apr 29, 2002
    Ahhhh..... :D

I just spent an hour just looking at your work. You heard this before and you'll hear it again and again! AWSOME!! ( Instant Fan I am !) * goes back to do some more viewing. :) ( more! more! )

14. THEFORCE16

THEFORCE16 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 15, 2004
    I haven't been very active here for awhile as my job keeps me out of state a lot. I just had to take a moment to gush about the artwork in this thread. Truly amazing. The level of skill seen here is hard to match. Anyone who has been working at being an artist for any significant length of time can see the mastery in even the simplest of sketches here. Your work should be in books, not fan threads. Plus,you're just one really nice person.

15. DarthQuellonis

DarthQuellonis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 22, 2005
    Nice work!

16. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    greyjedi125, thanks, always nice to hear from another comic-book influenced artist - we all tend to be into figure drawing.

THEFORCE16, hey, I was wondering where you had got to. Thank you for saying such nice things, especially as your own work is so beautiful. I remember when you, FalconFan, and I were the new kids in the forum; now this place gets a new talent every day. Where does the time go? Hmmn, I think it's time someone upped your thread...

DarthQuellonis, thanks!

17. Your_Worshipfulness

Your_Worshipfulness Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2005
    Lovely sketches! You're very talented with figure work. What I'm most impressed with is how you've given this robot a human-like quality to it's posture. You can really see the progress in your work, as it's coming along quite nicely. :)

- Suz ^_~

18. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    Droïds are very hard to draw! You did a wonderful job. Your other drawings are amazing too! with or without colors, you have a great style ;)

keep up the good work ^_^

19. Zonoma

Zonoma Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2005
    I found it! I remembered this thread from my first visit though I am afraid that I had forgotten whom it belonged to. Now I know!

Will we see anymore soon?[face_praying]

20. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    Hi Zonoma. I've been dragging my feet a little on the droid pic for R_Zion, and I wasn't going to post anything until I had finished it. However, now that I'm here replying to you...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v316/rnart/dl5dark.jpg][/url] This is one of my own attempts at doing something with my Duel stencil. It didn't really work like I wanted it to, none of the stencil attempts did, but it is kind of interesting, if a little sloppy.

This is a more heavily inked version of the droid that I'm still trying to colour:
    [​IMG]

This is a small scan of a Qui-Gon picture which I'm still trying to make better:
    [​IMG]

This is a scan of an Anakin picture that went pretty well (this one was my fifth attempt), I'm still thinking of doing more with it:
    [​IMG]
    I traced the faces for both the Qui-Gon and Anakin pictures, I'm really not good at likenesses freehand.

You will probably need to fiddle with the gamma values to get these guys looking right on your own monitor, mine tends to be kind of dark.

21. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    :eek::oops:

I can't believe I missed so much work in here, soits!! You're always so great about checking out everyone else's stuff, and here I go, missing two updates in here!

**bows humbly in apology**

Forgive my tardiness!

I totally love your droid work for R_Zion!! She looks awesome, and the inked version looks better still--her pose is so identifiably "feminine," and the wonderful light and dark values really make her pop off the page! Yes, she'll look awesome colored--but I rather like her just like this! Beautiful work--and thanks for sharing the "studies" of her in concept--it's always so cool to see (and you're so good about putting up that work, too! :D )!

And the paintings...

**swoons**

I won't scold you again (and again and again) for tracing the likenesses (and you are far better at capturing them than you believe, my friend!)--the colors, shading and values here are just gorgeous... I so love the colors you tend to favor for these masterpieces: the warm earth-toned hues lend themselves so beautifully to the work, and you use them so well. Qui Gon's eyes just pulled me in...they look so real... Just gorgeous. And Anakin is going to turn out just as beautifully, I can tell--the quick dashes of color and texture in the hair are only the beginning to what I know will turn out to be a lush effect. Your use of light for these is so rich...I don't even know how to describe it! "Beautiful" seems so inadequate! :D

Gorgeous work, soits--it's such a joy to find some more of your wonderful paintings here! Thanks for sharing them!

**goes back to swooning over Qui Gon**

;) :D

FF

22. Mustafear

Mustafear Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 13, 2005
    First of all: Thank you for updating! Thank you! and thank YOU!

My favorite by far 9of this set) is the Qui Gon. I love the "feeling" of your paintings. They have an almost otherworldly glow about them, can you tell us about your materials and technique?

-Zonoma-

23. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    FalconFan, thank you for your kind words. Incidentally, I inked the droid drawing with a brush-pen, worth trying if you are experimenting with comic-book style inking (I doubt that you are, but someone reading this might be).

And Anakin is going to turn out just as beautifully, I can tell--the quick dashes of color and texture in the hair are only the beginning to what I know will turn out to be a lush effect

o_O Yeah, I can take the hint - I do need to finish the hair. Never realy like doing hair, it's so anoyingly complicated.

Hi, Mustafear. Thanks for saying you like the Qui-Gon image, it's actually kind of a sloppy painting, which is why I made a smaller scan of it. As for materials, I tend to use everything I have to hand: mainly watercolours, with some acrylic, colour pencil, glue, gesso, acrylic ink, and some digital tweeking where needed. Most of the paintings are thrown together, and as things go wrong I panic and start using whatever materials come to hand to try to patch things up. Nearly all of them look better on screen than in real-life.

24. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    "Most of the paintings are thrown together, and as things go wrong I panic and start using whatever materials come to hand to try to patch things up."

If the most recent posts are "things thrown together and going wrong," then I'm signing up for "going wrong" lessons from you, soits! Your work is stunning, in some very difficult media, and I can only dream about getting results like yours! You're extremely talented, and I truly admire your work!

:D

FF

25. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    The droid is finally finished:

[​IMG]

I edge enhanced this picture a lot because it tends to help make things look sharper and more metalic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.