main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Artist Soits... art - updated 12/10/2010 - mainly non-SW art

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by soitscometothis, Dec 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    :eek::eek:

**faints**

Awesome!!!! =D==D=

What a superb piece of art, soits!!! My jaw hit the floor when this popped up, and I may be looking for it for a long while...

The detailing is astounding!! The metal surfaces are so tactile, so realistic that it's almost like a photograph, with the exception of the dark outlines of her form...
    The lighting and shading here are spectacular, on her and on the background--and all that stipling!! Your hand must be dead!! I totally love the little splashes of color--perfect for an accenting effect--she just looks amazing, and completely at home in the environment you've created for her! I'm...running out of words again, blast it!! [face_frustrated] R_Zion has to be in joyful tears over this--she's fabulous!! I could never in a million years do justice to a droid like this--just amazing!

=D==D=

FF

2. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    That looks like Lebo ^_^
    The edge enhanced really gave it a nice touch :)

3. Undomiel

Undomiel Jedi Padawan star 4

May 17, 2002
    Lovely! Looks like the work of an old master. Very well done. Padme looks majestic. The Obi, Duel, Anakin and RPG character work is great as well. I like how you've branched out into different styles of rendering. Very unique and expressive.

4. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    Wow, that droid looks awesome!! Great job!!

AG88

5. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    [face_blush] Okay, FalconFan, I'm obviously going to have to tell you how to cheat at this sort of thing:

The detailing is astounding!! The metal surfaces are so tactile, so realistic that it's almost like a photograph...

Well, there is a reason for that...

I found this image on the web. It's a small photo of a LOTR hemet. I used the clone function in Paint Shop Pro to copy parts of the surface onto my picture. It can be tricky , and you have to flip the source image (the helmet) around a bit, and alter the gamma values of the image where appropriate, but it can give you some interesting effects. It's somewhere between collage and painting, almost like painting with collage, but I think it's easier than both.

I used the same technique using another LOTR helmet, one that had an etched design on it, for the upper chest area. I used the dilate function on several areas that I masked off, making them look more light reflective and shiny.

The lighting and shading here are spectacular, on her and on the background--and all that stipling!! Your hand must be dead!!

There wasn't ANY stippling at all. The backgroung was pencil shaded. I got bored with coming up with machinery from my head (though some of it was inspired by some Mike Mignola comic book art) rather soon into my drawing, and decided I would just scan the image in, flip it around, and paint it in using the clone brush. I made it darker, and edge enhance did the rest.

My original image is here

All the art programs I used are very old and came free with something or other. You should play about and see what you can do with whatever image software you have on your computer, it does take the strain out of certain tasks.

That_Wascally_Droid, Undomiel, academygrad88 , thanks, guys.

6. Kenu

Kenu Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2005
    I loooooooooooove your textures. [face_love]

7. THEFORCE16

THEFORCE16 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 15, 2004
    Your work is very high on my list of faves in this forum or anywhere. The principal reason is because it's unique. You could have just rendered the subject as you saw it, but you took steps to make it your own. Bravo. Really.

8. goddess45

goddess45 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2005
    soitscometothis Your drawings and paintings and sketches are amazing! My favorites have to be , what appear to be, watercolored pictures of Padme, Qui Gon, Anakin Etc. The texture in some is beyond belief! They are absolutly astonishing!!

For one of the pademe pictures (you have three version of the same picture... from AotC) you said something is wrong with the lips. I didn't go through to read all the comments so I don't know if it's been said, but i think your problem there is that the lower lip on the second too are too thick. I think about maybe 1/3 of the bottom lip should be cup off and just shading replace it. I understand that they are already drawn I just thought I would had that in.

Your recent stencil of Obiwan and Anakin was SO cool. I honestly thought at quick glance that it was an actual peice of metal work that you had made from the sketch! I also loved the different versions in textures you did of the Anakin/Obi drawing. My favorite had to be the molten anakin. That was truly amazing! Very nice job! I can't wait to see more of your work!!

9. Daenna

Daenna Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 11, 2006
    Oooooh that is really really nice! I couldn't help but sit in awe when I saw those alternate poses and versions... It's all so well made I wouldn't know which to choose! :p

I really like your colorings and textures, especially for the droid.... OUTSTANDING! :D

10. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    goddess45, I think your crit on the Padme pic is spot on - that lower lip is just wrong. I can see a whole bunch of problems with the likeness now, but at the time it's difficult to keep your eye fresh; so many little mistakes can completely change the look of a face.

Thanks, Daenna. I tend to come up with a lot of alternate poses because I have trouble making up my mind about things; also it serves to delay work on the finished piece, which I always find hard work and rather dread starting.[face_worried]

Kenu, THEFORCE16 , I think I missed your posts when you originally posted. Nice to see you around.

11. Basement24

Basement24 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 1, 2005
    Great stuff, and great style too! keep up the good work!

12. Todan

Todan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 3, 2006
    Soits i like what you have done the Padme that you did was rilly good my favorite is you droid it looks cool keep up the good work

Todan [face_monkey] =D=

13. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    This is an illustration of a character for R_Zion's fan-fic stories. He's hasn't told me what he thinks of it yet, so this may not be the finished article.

Two versions, identical except for brightness (my monitor has a rather dark display, so I don't know what looks right on others):

[​IMG]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v316/rnart/swfbdarker1.jpg][/url] Alphric Zahn (dark)

For those people who like to see work in progress, here are some of the stages:

Creating the face:
    [​IMG]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v316/rnart/figureconstruct23.jpg][/url] The body

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v316/rnart/buildingwip1.jpg][/url] The buildings

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v316/rnart/bwipr29.jpg][/url] The building, stage two

Edit:The buildings and all the background are manipulated photographs

14. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    :eek::eek:=D==D=

...R_Zion can't tell you how he likes it because he--like me--may still be recovering from the paralysis of amazement and can't get his fingers to type yet!! This is freakin' awesome, soits!! =D=

When I first looked at it, I really had to use my hand to close my mouth: first, the colors--just absolutely gorgeous. I love blue in all hues, and this painting is just a feast of blues, from his beautiful robes to that stunning pastel sky. And the way you've done his head and hands...I really feel like he's welcoming me to that awesome building behind him. The hands in particular are so beautiful--just the softly opened fingers and upturned palms are so beautiful! His brilliant, disarming smile--again, beautiful. And the way the robes drape... **face_so_jealous** ;) The entire figure looks so real, like he's going to just step off the monitor... The mansion/building is amazing--I love the initial structure you worked from (a gorgeous building), and then the careful selection of additional elements to create the massive structure on the platform in the sea. The inclusion of the "tide lines" on those pilings is inspired, btw, and something that a lot of folks might miss, and it's something that lends even more reality to the image. I love the way you did the water, too--geez, this whole thing is just jaw-dropping (and paralysis-inducing!)! What a lucky guy is R_Zion, I'm thinking right now, and what a stunning talent are you, my friend! =D==D= Absolutely amazing!!

FF

15. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    Thanks, FalconFan. I should have pointed out that the oil-rig legs and water, like the buildings and the clouds, are not painted but just photographs I've manipulated via Paint Shop Pro. The water colour look comes from using the dilate function, then using Hot-Wax Coating (that tends to put dark lines around things).

R Zion has had to wait more than 6 months for this image, so he may have died of shock to find it had suddenly arrived :eek:

16. semicooke

semicooke Legacy Concept Artist star 1 VIP

Dec 1, 1998
    Amazing.

I'm sure I just joining the crowd here but these images, especially the portraits are fantastic. Love the textured feel, does make them 'timeless'.
    Great, great use of the planar elements. You're capturing form in a very unique way.

Good Stuff!

17. Nidrail

Nidrail Moderator Emeritus star 3 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2005
    WOW SOITS!!!! Awesome artwork!!!!!
    That is really incredible!!!! I'd have to be REALLY picky to find anything wrong with those pictures =D=
    Wow absolutely fantastic!

18. NLSkywalker

NLSkywalker Jedi Youngling

Jun 8, 2005
    Wow=D= YOU ARE SUCH A TALENT! I just feel shock by the effect of the color! And your style is just AMAZING! I really wish I can use more of my poor english to praise your work!

19. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    Great job on the Alphric Zahn pic!! I love it.

AG88

20. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Fantastic job on Alphric Zahn! The entire composition is so nicely balanced and fun to look at. I think I prefer the 'light' version.

I also love in progress pics so thanks for sharing those. It's always so interesting to see how people work. :)

21. rhi-sparks

rhi-sparks Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 15, 2006
    My gosh, these pictures are ALL stunning!
    :eek:
    I love how you show WIP as well, but I'm in such awe!
    The droids are VERY nicely done, and I agree with brush pens...
    They're the best!
    :D

22. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    Kind of a work in progress - did the b/w design ages ago, rendering in colour turns out to be not so easy [face_worried]

The pics are from a camera rather than scanner, the scanner flattened out the image too much.

Darker :
    [​IMG]

Lighter:
    [​IMG]

23. ShrunkenJedi

ShrunkenJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 26, 2003
    Ooh, I love this! Very Byzantine, which works with the character, I think... :D

24. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Oh, wow...

It looks like inscribed metal...all the burnished and patinaed surfaces...fantastic!! What an amazing interpretation--you have one of the most creative minds/imaginations in our forum, soits, and this new piece is more proof of that! =D= How did you come up with the idea for this...? It's truly amazing, impressive and beautiful--and I totally agree that it's very much appropriate to the subject matter. Just wow...you do continue to amaze, my friend--I love this! =D= And I can't decide which I like better, light or dark--they're both beautiful!

FF

25. Nidrail

Nidrail Moderator Emeritus star 3 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2005
    I agree with FF--both versions are stunning!!! that is a beautiful piece! how did you make it? Is it a mosaic? A painting? It really does look like something more than 1 dimentional!!!!!

Very nice!!!

God bless!
    ~N

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.